Re: "Get wound"

  • Karrion
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
      Which opens up a new insult. "Get stitched!"

      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarb@o...>
      wrote:

      > I had a minor epiphany recently. At least twice in the story so
      far, we've
      > seen people say "Get wound" as a minor insult. Perhaps it should
      have
      > been obvious, but it dawned on me just what the literal meaning of
      that
      > one is: "You're a clank"!
      >
      > (I felt much the same way when I realized why people in Neil
      Gaiman's
      > _Miracleman_ were using "kid" as though it were a synonym
      for "fuck".)

      > --
      > David Goldfarb | "You can't do only one thing."
      > goldfarb@o... |
      > goldfarb@c... | -- John W. Campbell, Jr.
    • Damien Sullivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
        On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:47:40AM -0800, David Goldfarb wrote:

        > (I felt much the same way when I realized why people in Neil Gaiman's
        > _Miracleman_ were using "kid" as though it were a synonym for "fuck".)

        Why?

        -xx- Damien X-)
      • studiofoglio
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
          Actually, "Get wound" is more like "go jump in a lake" "or "bite me," with the implication
          that the subject is being an idiot--their brain must slowing down like a watchspring and
          thus needs winding.
          --Kaja
        • David Goldfarb
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2005
            From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix@...>
            >On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:47:40AM -0800, David Goldfarb wrote:
            >
            >> (I felt much the same way when I realized why people in Neil Gaiman's
            >> _Miracleman_ were using "kid" as though it were a synonym for "fuck".)
            >
            >Why?

            It's not totally clear what you're asking; I'm assuming your question
            is, "Why did 'kid' become an obscenity?" The real answer to that one
            is to go read Alan Moore's run on _Miracleman_, but that's not terribly
            feasible these days. Briefly, there were three Miracle people:
            Miracleman, Young Miracleman, and Kid Miracleman. Kid Miracleman
            went crazy and killed a lot of people, and was sort of enshrined
            as a god of evil.

            --
            David Goldfarb |"Federal Espresso: When you absolutely, positively,
            goldfarb@... | have to stay up all night."
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
              >>> (I felt much the same way when I realized why people in Neil Gaiman's
              >>> _Miracleman_ were using "kid" as though it were a synonym for "fuck".)
              >>
              >>Why?
              >
              > It's not totally clear what you're asking; I'm assuming your question
              > is, "Why did 'kid' become an obscenity?" The real answer to that one
              > is to go read Alan Moore's run on _Miracleman_, but that's not terribly
              > feasible these days. Briefly, there were three Miracle people:
              > Miracleman, Young Miracleman, and Kid Miracleman. Kid Miracleman
              > went crazy and killed a lot of people, and was sort of enshrined
              > as a god of evil.

              Let's not forget Miraclewoman. (Because she could kick our asses if she
              decided to take it personally.)