Re: [Girl Genius] Digest Number 961

  • Jon Kerr
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2005
      PLEASE people, stay on topic.

      I know it's hard not to geek out about cool stuff like Hitchhiker's
      Guide, but I'm sure clever and resourceful people like you can find
      Hitchhiker's Guide discussion groups to go on about. These groups can
      also provide answers to where's Zaphod's extra head too.

      Thanks ya'all.

      > Subject: Fw: Do you know where your towel is?
      >
      > MAY SIXTH!!!!!
      >
      >> http://www.douglasadams.se/news/
      >
      > etc etc etc...

      Baba Yaga thing with the eggs. "We need the eggs" is the punchline to
      the old joke about the person with the crazy relative who thinks he's a
      chicken. "Why don't you have him committed?" .. "We need the eggs."
      Great joke, and wonderfully built into GG universe with a nod to
      Monsieur Fabergé too. I doubt we'll see this theme expanded on in the
      comic, but it'd be cool if it did. It's rather like Agatha's ticktock
      clanks building more of themselves. Keen.

      Jon
    • Jefferson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2005
        Jon Kerr wrote:

        > Baba Yaga thing with the eggs. "We need the eggs" is the punchline to
        > the old joke about the person with the crazy relative who thinks he's a
        > chicken. "Why don't you have him committed?" .. "We need the eggs."
        > Great joke, and wonderfully built into GG universe with a nod to
        > Monsieur Fabergé too.

        Actually the egg looked more like a Ukranian painted egg to me than a Faberge egg.

        Jefferson
        http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2005
          >Jon Kerr wrote:
          >
          > > Baba Yaga thing with the eggs. "We need the eggs" is the punchline to
          > the old joke about the person with the crazy relative who thinks he's a
          > chicken. "Why don't you have him committed?" .. "We need the eggs." Great
          > joke, and wonderfully built into GG universe with a nod to Monsieur
          > Fabergé too.
          >
          >Actually the egg looked more like a Ukranian painted egg to me than a
          >Faberge egg.
          >
          >Jefferson
          ><http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/>http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

          Those tend to be red with gold women and sun symbols painted on them. And
          exceedingly good luck, which Baba Yaga's eggs might be as well.

          But it's the "haunted" part that got my attention.

          Debbie
          http://www.brigidsforge.com
          Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

          "He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-oriented
          programming."

        • Jefferson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2005
            Debbie wrote:
            >>Jon Kerr wrote:
            >>
            >>>Baba Yaga thing with the eggs. "We need the eggs" is the punchline to
            >>the old joke about the person with the crazy relative who thinks he's a
            >>chicken. "Why don't you have him committed?" .. "We need the eggs." Great
            >>joke, and wonderfully built into GG universe with a nod to Monsieur
            >>Fabergé too.
            >>
            >>Actually the egg looked more like a Ukranian painted egg to me than a
            >>Faberge egg.
            >
            > Those tend to be red with gold women and sun symbols painted on them. And
            > exceedingly good luck, which Baba Yaga's eggs might be as well.

            Really? The ones I'd seen (painted by a Ukranian immigrant) were
            predominantly blue and red with geometric patterns. Something like the
            leftmost egg on
            http://www.phillipmartin.info/webpage/information/eggs84A456.htm but more
            complicated and with blue instead of black, and red instead of the light blue.

            Jefferson
            http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

          • Mary Lowe-Hentges
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 29, 2005
              [But it's the "haunted" part that got my attention.]

              True, everything else I figure Agatha can eventually fix, but I haven't seen any evidence of ectoplasmic continment units in this world - yet.

              Annechen Loewenstein
              non scripta non est

            • God
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2005
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2005
                  >From: "Mary Lowe-Hentges" <annechen67@...>, Jan. 29, 2005 6:00 PM

                  >> [But it's the "haunted" part that got my attention.]

                  Maybe it's haunted the same way that Bang DuPree was "haunted" by the
                  weird vision thingy... I mean, if I saw someone looking all ghostly and
                  stuff, I'd probably think it was a haunting as well, instead of someone
                  trying to manage their time-viewer's coordinate setting...
                  --
                  --Beth, arcangel@... / archangel@... In Nomine Line Editor
                  http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2005
                    > >From: "Mary Lowe-Hentges" <annechen67@...>, Jan. 29, 2005 6:00 PM
                    >
                    > >> [But it's the "haunted" part that got my attention.]
                    >
                    >Maybe it's haunted the same way that Bang DuPree was "haunted" by the
                    >weird vision thingy... I mean, if I saw someone looking all ghostly and
                    >stuff, I'd probably think it was a haunting as well, instead of someone
                    >trying to manage their time-viewer's coordinate setting...
                    >--
                    >--Beth, arcangel@... / archangel@... In Nomine Line Editor
                    ><http://www.io.com/~arcangel/>http://www.io.com/~arcangel/

                    That's far more likely than it following the fanciful premises of a campy
                    movie.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2005
                      [That's far more likely than it following the fanciful premises of a campy movie.]

                      You say that like it's a bad thing...

                      Annechen Loewenstein
                      non scripta non est

                    • Debbie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 31, 2005
                        >[That's far more likely than it following the fanciful premises of a campy
                        >movie.]
                        >
                        >You say that like it's a bad thing...
                        >
                        >Annechen Loewenstein
                        >non scripta non est

                        Not per se, but it's a matter of context.