Metropolis

  • unca_bad
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2002
      Metropolis! Not the Fritz Lang movie, but Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis
      2002! It has a retro-futuristic style and a couple of mad scientists,
      so I thought people here might want to hear about this animated film.
      It's Japanese and playing in "art" theaters, but it is gorgeous and
      touching, and worth reading the sub-titles for. Just be aware that
      some Japanese story lines tend toward tragic and a bit ambiguous
      endings; but that's the fun of seeing things from different cultures:
      they're not what you're used to. Sadly the mad scientists are not in
      starring roles, and neither of them are beautiful young girls. The
      beautiful young girl stars as a hero's love interest... and as
      the 'creature'. You should go see it, if just for the city-scapes.

      Also, you get to hear a beautiful rendition of "St. James Infirmary"
      sung with a Japanese accent. Oh so cute!

      -Brad
    • steamrunner_13
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2002
        I saw it as well, and I know it's hard while reading subtitles but
        watch for 'hidden' things like buildings that look like things, and a
        picture of Che' Guevara. The film is stunning to watch but prepared
        to sit, it is long for an animated feature and sometimes takes awhile
        to get the story moving but well worth it. The CGI segments are very
        cool and meshed well with the cell animation. Go see it but eat, and
        go to the bathroom before you sit down.
      • Adam Benedict Canning
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2002
          Whose the best person a Studio Foglio to talk to about order problems?

          They've debited my card back in January for the card game and issues 1-5
          ordered from the website but I haven't seen them, and I've emailed
          orders@... without a reply.
          Adam
          --
          "It was one of the zoological high points of the Council's varied political
          history, right up there with the infamous Incendiary Cat Plot." Count Aral

        • elmegil65
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2002
            --- In girlgenius@y..., "Adam Benedict Canning" <dahak@c...> wrote:
            > Whose the best person a Studio Foglio to talk to about order problems?
            >
            > They've debited my card back in January for the card game and issues 1-5
            > ordered from the website but I haven't seen them, and I've emailed
            > orders@s... without a reply.
            > Adam

            I had a similar problem a while back. I had ordered the current issue, a couple Phil -n- Dixie books, and a Buck Godot book, along with a subscription.

            I got the order fine, but never got the next issue in the subscription. I wrote orders@..., got no reply for quite a little while, wrote to other addresses a Studio Foglio, also no reply. After waiting impatiently, eventually Cheyenne wrote back and said that they had found where my order got misplaced, and it was fixed now.

            The moral of the story is, while you may not be getting an immediate answer from the orders address saying "we're working on it" chances are good that they are actually working on it.
          • madscienceguy
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
              you know that you can order this this film online for $12 to $17
              (it's on ebay too) dvd with subtitles (Chinese or English) no region
              code so it plays in most players... good film (and you can pause it
              to see the cool extra stuff) if your into anime look in to one
              called Steam Detectives, very nice steam punk. if you want the some
              site i know where you can buy these just ask... or e-mail