Re: [Girl Genius] Nyiregyhaz

  • Eric Oppen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      Quoting Dave <mac_lyr@...>:

      > http://tts.imtranslator.net/QFQA
      >
      > I convinced a Russian TTS to say it, but I can get anything close to
      > it by translation.
      >
      > Nyi (Ne) sounds like the negation particle, and the word for nose
      > could be misspelled as "haz" if you mess up the transliteration
      > ("noz"), but wet, damp, snot, and mucus don't come out as "regy"
      >
      > Anybody out there with a more current knowledge of "pa-Russki" than me?
      >
      > I DID find an interesting thing though! The Russian word for "snot"
      > is pronounced "sleaze" - loan word perhaps?

      Actually, it looks Hungarian to me. And Hungarian is spoken in RL
      Transylvania (along with Romanian, the majority language, and German)

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Eric Oppen <technomad@...> wrote:

        > Quoting Dave <mac_lyr@...>:
        >
        > > http://tts.imtranslator.net/QFQA
        > >
        > > I convinced a Russian TTS to say it, but I can get anything close to
        > > it by translation.
        > >
        > > Nyi (Ne) sounds like the negation particle, and the word for nose
        > > could be misspelled as "haz" if you mess up the transliteration
        > > ("noz"), but wet, damp, snot, and mucus don't come out as "regy"
        > >
        > > Anybody out there with a more current knowledge of "pa-Russki" than me?
        > >
        > > I DID find an interesting thing though! The Russian word for "snot"
        > > is pronounced "sleaze" - loan word perhaps?
        > >

        > Actually, it looks Hungarian to me. And Hungarian is spoken in RL
        > Transylvania (along with Romanian, the majority language, and German)

        No luck with other Slavic languages either.

        Anybody?
      • aseachangea
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
          Dave mac_lyr wrote:

          > No luck with other Slavic languages either.
          >
          > Anybody?
          -----

          I first thought the speech spike was an ice lance that belonged to Sephy, but now that people mention it it does look odd.

          The Istvan from the Myth Inc. books, did he have a last name?

          Maybe it's in Mechanicsburger, along the lines of Nov schmoz ka pop.

          Sea Change, who thinks it doesn't mean drynose. Martellus just forgot the real name, because he's a peaon normally not worth remembering to him.
        • jackie_lee_turner
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <mac_lyr@...> wrote:

            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Eric Oppen <technomad@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Quoting Dave <mac_lyr@>:
            > >
            > > > http://tts.imtranslator.net/QFQA
            > > >
            > > > I convinced a Russian TTS to say it, but I can get anything close to
            > > > it by translation.
            > > >
            > > > Nyi (Ne) sounds like the negation particle, and the word for nose
            > > > could be misspelled as "haz" if you mess up the transliteration
            > > > ("noz"), but wet, damp, snot, and mucus don't come out as "regy"
            > > >
            > > > Anybody out there with a more current knowledge of "pa-Russki" than me?
            > > >
            > > > I DID find an interesting thing though! The Russian word for "snot"
            > > > is pronounced "sleaze" - loan word perhaps?
            > > >

            > > Actually, it looks Hungarian to me. And Hungarian is spoken in RL
            > > Transylvania (along with Romanian, the majority language, and German)

            > No luck with other Slavic languages either.
            >
            > Anybody?

            Erin nyiregyhazi Hungarian pianist
            Nyiregyhaza Hungarian city
            nyir egyhaz hungarian: birch follower

            Ibn googln
          • god
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
              On 8/24/2013 06:58, aseachangea wrote:

              > Sea Change, who thinks it doesn't mean drynose. Martellus just
              > forgot the real name, because he's a peaon normally not worth
              > remembering to him.

              no, for a person that hunts like Martellus seems to imply (quite a lot
              apparently), the "Master of Hounds" is a rather important figure in his
              employ and he would definitely remember his name. what happened is that
              he is used to using the "Drynose" name because he identifies more with
              the pack-mentality of the spark-hounds, rather than the human naming
              conventions so he uses their naming style/nicknames more often... and
              trying to talk ABOUT that person to a third person that ISN'T into
              hunting as much as himself, he had to stop a moment to shift gears to
              tell that 3rd person a more descriptive name...