I know I'll get hammered for this...

  • s.kallen
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21 10:29 AM
      I used to wait just until after midnight for the publishing of the next GG popping up for me to read and if it didn't publish then, it would certainly be when I woke up in the morning. There were occasions when it was delayed but that was the exception and certainly not the norm.

      As of the last few months, it seems there's been a dramatic fall-off in the publishing times. As of now, at 12:23pm on Wed it still is showing the comic from Monday. This has indeed become the norm.

      Now, I know I get this awesome thing for free so I certainly shouldn't complain, but what has changed? I get that the Foglio's are way busy. Will it return to it's normal regularity at some point, or were they just feeling overwhelmed by the rush to publish at the start of each day and have changed their policy?

      Just curious. I don't handle change well... unless it's all quarters.
    • uncleop22
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21 1:43 PM
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "s.kallen" <s.kallen@...> wrote:
        > I used to wait just until after midnight for the publishing of the
        > next GG popping up for me to read and if it didn't publish then,
        > it would certainly be when I woke up in the morning. There were
        > occasions when it was delayed but that was the exception and
        > certainly not the norm.
        > :
        > Just curious. I don't handle change well... unless it's all
        > quarters.

        I have noticed the same. I expect it's the glut of conferences (good things!) and the plague of medical issues for several of the staff (not so good things!). And honestly, the overall "fun" quality of each day's strip is so high it's worth the wait. That said, my refresh finger gets a little sore sometimes.

        -∇
      • William Ansley
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21 2:14 PM
          You probably will get hammered for your statements, but I feel much the
          same way. As far as the question of whether the Foglios have changed their
          policy on when they publish their comic,
          the trouble is they've never had such a policy, not an official one anyway.
          They do pride themselves on having a perfect on-time record of publishing
          their comic every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but they've never said
          exactly what that means. They have established, when they took their trip
          to England and the comic went up really, really late once (and really late
          a few other times), that they considered it still to be on time as long as
          it was published before midnight Pacific Time (that is the time zone they
          live in) on the appropriate day of the week. If they ever miss that
          deadline, I don't know if they will come up with some new definition of "on
          time" or admit they no longer have a perfect record.

          --
          William Ansley

        • Donald Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21 2:16 PM
            On Aug 21, 2013, at 2:14 PM, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

            > If they ever miss that
            > deadline, I don't know if they will come up with some new definition of "on
            > time" or admit they no longer have a perfect record.

            Any decent spark can redefine time.
          • Joy Beeson
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 21 4:19 PM
              I'm up until midnight every night, so I get Freefall and
              Spacetrawler at midnight, XKCD and Explain XKCD just before
              naptime, and Girl Genius early Thursday morning. It spreads
              things out.

              Not that I don't take peeks at the two Live Journals hoping
              for an early post.

              Schlock Mercenary is nearly always up by half-past eleven
              the day before.

              --
              Joy Beeson
              http://www.debeeson.net/joy
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 21 4:25 PM
                I noticed as well. Quite frankly, that has been a bit of a blessing for me since I reside on the East Coast and am not tempted to try to stay up for the update. I do have to go to work in the morning after all.
              • David Goldfarb
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 21 7:52 PM
                  On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM, uncleop22 <del@...> wrote:
                  > That said, my refresh finger gets a little sore sometimes.

                  There *is* an RSS feed; you could subscribe to it, then just wait for
                  it to update.

                  David Goldfarb
                • Donald Brown
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 21 7:59 PM
                    On Aug 21, 2013, at 7:52 PM, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...> wrote:

                    > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM, uncleop22 <del@...> wrote:
                    >> That said, my refresh finger gets a little sore sometimes.
                    >
                    > There *is* an RSS feed; you could subscribe to it, then just wait for
                    > it to update.

                    I do subscribe to the RSS feed, also twitter and Facebook.

                    Doesn't mean I can stop refreshing ;)