Re: Insignia

  • jsheikg
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quasar973" <quasar973@...> wrote:

      > In the first panel of Wednesday's comic,
      >
      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20130807
      >
      > Tweedle wears the Sturmvoraus "sword through gear with wings" insignia,
      >
      > http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Badges
      >
      > last seen on Tarvek here:
      >
      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060809
      >
      > This confuses me, because the only insignia Tweedle had previously used were the Storm King fleur-de-lis and the lightning bolt headband:
      >
      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20130408
      >
      > I don't understand why he would be wearing Sturmvoraus symbols. As I had understood it, Tweedle and all the other red-haired relatives are related to Tarvek through his mothers side, the House Valois, which is also the Storm King line. The House Sturmvoraus, on the other hand, is the house of Tarvek's father, which should be unrelated to Tweedle.
      >
      > While I'm on the subject of insignia, isn't it strange that Agatha is wearing a hat with some random insignia, rather than the Heterodyne trilobite? Yes, perhaps it's a borrowed hat. Perhaps she is not much into symbolism, noting that there isn't a trilobite on the swan and raindeer either, nor on most of her previous creations, for that matter. Still, I would expect a heterodyning madwoman to integrate that symbol into anything she touches. Previously, she had been wearing it as a belt buckle and even her knee pad seemed trilobite inspired:
      >
      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121224

      Short answer; she's traveling incognito.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quasar973" <quasar973@...> wrote:
        > I don't understand why he would be wearing Sturmvoraus symbols. As I had understood it, Tweedle and all the other red-haired relatives are related to Tarvek through his mothers side, the House Valois, which is also the Storm King line. The House Sturmvoraus, on the other hand, is the house of Tarvek's father, which should be unrelated to Tweedle.

        Yeah, that is a bit odd. To me, the most likely explanation is that Phil forgot whose symbol that was when he drew it. It's also possible that Tweedle is related to Tarvek on both sides of his family, or that that symbol doesn't really mean what we assume it means.

        > While I'm on the subject of insignia, isn't it strange that Agatha is wearing a hat with some random insignia, rather than the Heterodyne trilobite? Yes, perhaps it's a borrowed hat. Perhaps she is not much into symbolism, noting that there isn't a trilobite on the swan and raindeer either, nor on most of her previous creations, for that matter. Still, I would expect a heterodyning madwoman to integrate that symbol into anything she touches. Previously, she had been wearing it as a belt buckle and even her knee pad seemed trilobite inspired:
        >
        > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121224

        Without putting too much thought into it, I suspect that Phil and Kaja have a fun time designing those symbols. I remember a vote incentive sketch that had a dozen or so little symols scattered around on a page. I suspect that they took some of the ones they were really fond of, but don't have a character to associate them with and they'll just sprinkle them into the comic like this.

        As far as Agatha putting trilobites into everything, it seems like she does that when she has trilobites handy to build into her devices. They'd be all over in Castle Heterodyne where sh'ed get the belt and knee pads. When she designs that first death ray in volume 4 they make it a point to tell us that she had the trilobite in her pack. I think she just uses what's available.