[Girl Genius] Re: Please support the Girl Genius Kickstarter

  • Ariadne
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for your clarification of my clarification of my original
      > message. Unfortunately, your post isn't quite correct either. The PDFs only
      > come with pledges at the $10 level (Organized Photons) or higher, not the
      > $5 level.

      Yes, that is why I said "above $5" and not "$5 and above", well that and I was quoting you. I was assuming that you had mistakenly added the "2" in your "any level above $25". In other words I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

      Just to be really clear there is two $10 levels and you must buy the "Exceptionally Organized Bundle of Photons" OR the $20 "Hero of Science" (and up) to receive the PDF bundle.

      So are we done clarifying each other? ;)

      > Either way, it's still a bargain.
      >
      > --
      > William Ansley

      Agreed. :D

      Update: $50,383 to go.
    • Joleen White
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2013
        On May 27, 2013, at 7:32 PM, Ariadne <ladybarronmore@...> wrote:

        > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quasar973" <quasar973@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@> wrote:
        > > > The $30 pledge is probably barely more than the retail cost
        > > > will be, at least for volume 12, since the Foglios have said
        > > > they will be raising prices on all the volumes, since printing
        > > > costs are going up.
        > >
        > > This is the part I find paradoxical. Yes, printing costs are going up, but these printing costs, which normally the Foglios would have had to pay and then recover through book sales, have now been covered by 3000 generous people on Kickstarter. Which I think is awesome. But I don't understand the economics. Assuming that some fraction of the raised money goes toward pledge incentives, the rest is basically a gift, right? Rather than an investment. Does it make sense to cover the cost of printing through a donations campaign and increased prices at the same time? Isn't that covering the same cost twice?
        > >

        > Not really. What you have to understand is most of those donations include a print of at least one of the books (or patches, or stickers, etc). Basically what they have done is gathered pre-orders for the books before sending it to the printers in order to have the funds to print them in the first place. The further fundraising for reprints of the previous 11 books (one of the more popular incentives is actually a complete printed set of all 12 books) does enable them to print them but they STILL have to be sold at a price which will enable them to take that profit and invest it in printing more books and so on and so forth.

        Also, this pricing includes shipping while the TopatoCo pricing does not. So once you factor in shipping costs, it really is the same price, and the kickstarter just provides presale of a certain fraction.

      • quasar973
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Ariadne" <ladybarronmore@...> wrote:

          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quasar973" <quasar973@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is the part I find paradoxical. Yes, printing costs are going up, but these printing costs, which normally the Foglios would have had to pay and then recover through book sales, have now been covered by 3000 generous people on Kickstarter. Which I think is awesome. But I don't understand the economics. Assuming that some fraction of the raised money goes toward pledge incentives, the rest is basically a gift, right? Rather than an investment. Does it make sense to cover the cost of printing through a donations campaign and increased prices at the same time? Isn't that covering the same cost twice?
          > >

          > Not really. What you have to understand is most of those donations include a print of at least one of the books (or patches, or stickers, etc). Basically what they have done is gathered pre-orders for the books before sending it to the printers in order to have the funds to print them in the first place. The further fundraising for reprints of the previous 11 books (one of the more popular incentives is actually a complete printed set of all 12 books) does enable them to print them but they STILL have to be sold at a price which will enable them to take that profit and invest it in printing more books and so on and so forth.

          Yes, okay, that makes sense now. It all depends on what proportion of the pledged money actually goes towards merchandise. If that proportion is high (say 80 percent or more), then it is essentially a pre-ordering system. And this seems to be the case for most of the popular pledge levels. So pre-ordering it is!
        • Joleen White
          Message 4 of 13 , May 30, 2013
            I just noticed that they opened up 10 more "Geek Immortality" packages if you would like to see your name in the background of a future page. The original 25 sold out pretty fast, so I wanted to let people know since they didn't explicitly say this in the last update.
            Joleen
          • mrobinson52
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2013
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

              > There are some great deals to be had at the Professors' Kickstarter, now
              > that they have reached so many stretch goals. If you join at the $5 level,
              > you will be able to download all of the donation wallpapers that they have
              > ever offered, plus some new ones Kaja has just finished. If you join at the
              > $10 "Exceptionally Organized Bundle of Photons" level, you will get PDF
              > versions of all 12 volumes and the "Volume 0" Secret Blueprints PDF. At the
              > $275 "TPU Librarian" level, you can get all 12 volumes of Girl Genius in
              > softcover (you have to add $95 for shipping outside the US).
              >
              > And it is important for everyone to support this Kickstarter, even though
              > it is fully funded (so volume 12 can be printed) and the stretch goals for
              > reprinting all the previous volumes have been met. The Foglios are now
              > working towards a $300K stretch goal so that they can hire a business
              > manager, which I think will be an enormous help to them. Everyone, please
              > spread the word on this every place you can think of.
              >
              > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/girlgenius/girl-genius-volume-12-printing-and-reprint-frenzy
              >
              > Or use this short URL: http://kck.st/15NmkCI
              >
              > --
              > William Ansley

              w00t!!! We are over the $300K mark, so they can get the badly needed Business Manager so they can now just concentrate on the artistic endeavors and have someone else work on the nuts and bolts of the business. Even though I could only be an Exceptionally Organized Bundle of Photons, I am happy to be part of this and so glad we have reached this goal! :D

              Mary
            • Ariadne
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2013
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mrobinson52" <mrobinson52@...> wrote:

                > w00t!!! We are over the $300K mark, so they can get the badly needed Business Manager so they can now just concentrate on the artistic endeavors and have someone else work on the nuts and bolts of the business. Even though I could only be an Exceptionally Organized Bundle of Photons, I am happy to be part of this and so glad we have reached this goal! :D
                >
                > Mary

                $345,222 now so "Carol's Minion Budget" has now been unlocked (at $340,000)!

                $29,778 to go to the last stretch goal for a website upgrade ($375,000)! :D
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2013
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Ariadne" <ladybarronmore@...> wrote:

                  > $345,222 now so "Carol's Minion Budget" has now been unlocked (at $340,000)!
                  >
                  > $29,778 to go to the last stretch goal for a website upgrade ($375,000)! :D

                  I always wondered what Dr. Monahan looked like without the gas mask.