Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Latest Cliffhanger

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 30 , May 22, 2013
      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Aori K <Jerethi50@...> wrote:
      > Hmm, Maybe the portal malfunctioned due to klauses device, Was supposed to
      > only move across space, ended up moving across space and time ? or maybe
      > the device just "scattered" the signal, and it took a good long while to
      > refocus on its target ?

      Except that we're told that it affected all of Mechanicsburg. So not
      just Tweedle, Agatha, Krosp, and Violetta (and just where did she
      disappear to, anyway?), the entire town.

      David Goldfarb
    • Ariadne
      Message 2 of 30 , May 22, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...> wrote:

        > Except that we're told that it affected all of Mechanicsburg. So not
        > just Tweedle, Agatha, Krosp, and Violetta (and just where did she
        > disappear to, anyway?), the entire town.
        >
        > David Goldfarb

        I don't know about you but Friday has never looked so far away...

        I haven't felt like that about GG for a little while now. It's kinda nice. :)
      • Ian Kelly
        Message 3 of 30 , May 22, 2013
          On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...>wrote:

          > **
          >
          > Except that we're told that it affected all of Mechanicsburg. So not
          > just Tweedle, Agatha, Krosp, and Violetta (and just where did she
          > disappear to, anyway?), the entire town.

          We don't know that it affected Mechanicsburg in the same way, though. Why
          would Klaus go to all that trouble just to send the town into the future?
          Even assuming that he has the tech and has been sitting on it. I think
          Mechanicsburg was nuked, and the blast interfered with the portal.

        • David Goldfarb
          Message 4 of 30 , May 23, 2013
            On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...>wrote:
            > >
            > > Except that we're told that it affected all of Mechanicsburg. So not
            > > just Tweedle, Agatha, Krosp, and Violetta (and just where did she
            > > disappear to, anyway?), the entire town.
            > >

            > We don't know that it affected Mechanicsburg in the same way, though. Why
            > would Klaus go to all that trouble just to send the town into the future?
            > Even assuming that he has the tech and has been sitting on it. I think
            > Mechanicsburg was nuked, and the blast interfered with the portal.

            That would be a hell of a coincidence for that to happen just as they
            were going through the portal, then. Occam's Razor suggests that the
            same thing happened to all the people referred to: Agatha et al. in
            one place, and the Mechanicsburgers in another. Also there's the laws
            of drama: we spent all that time developing Tarvek, Van, and the
            Castle...only to have them all blown up? I don't believe it.

            David Goldfarb
          • jak quill
            Message 5 of 30 , May 23, 2013
              What about a "Brigadoon" affect?
              For those people who don't know what Brigadoon is here is the link to the Wiki page...

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigadoon%c2%a0

              JakQuill...

              If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I
              hope I should have the guts to betray my country.
              E.M. Forster
              ~*~
              @--^--- (a rose for you)

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 30 , May 23, 2013
                On 5/23/2013 3:56 AM, David Goldfarb wrote:

                > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly@...
                > <mailto:ian.g.kelly%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                > > We don't know that it affected Mechanicsburg in the same way,
                > though. Why
                > > would Klaus go to all that trouble just to send the town into the
                > future?
                > > Even assuming that he has the tech and has been sitting on it. I think
                > > Mechanicsburg was nuked, and the blast interfered with the portal.
                >
                > That would be a hell of a coincidence for that to happen just as they
                > were going through the portal, then. Occam's Razor suggests that the
                > same thing happened to all the people referred to: Agatha et al. in
                > one place, and the Mechanicsburgers in another. Also there's the laws
                > of drama: we spent all that time developing Tarvek, Van, and the
                > Castle...only to have them all blown up? I don't believe it.

                Indeed.

                Also...nuked? Really? This is Girl Genius! "Nuked" is rather pedestrian.

                Also, "sending the town into the future" is far from "just" -- it allows
                you (or your heir) to make arrangements without interference--rather
                like a very long Time Stop spell.

              • Ian Kelly
                Message 7 of 30 , May 23, 2013
                  On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:56 AM, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  > That would be a hell of a coincidence for that to happen just as they
                  > were going through the portal, then. Occam's Razor suggests that the
                  > same thing happened to all the people referred to: Agatha et al. in
                  > one place, and the Mechanicsburgers in another. Also there's the laws
                  > of drama: we spent all that time developing Tarvek, Van, and the
                  > Castle...only to have them all blown up? I don't believe it.

                  It would be a necessary coincidence then, and Occam's Razor applies better
                  to science than it does to storytelling. If the town was not destroyed, if
                  the purpose of the portal was not to spare Agatha and some of her
                  followers, then what is its purpose in the story? Also if the town is
                  destroyed, I think that Agatha will find a way to change the past and bring
                  them back -- the time windows may have been view-only, but they still
                  affected Bang's actions in the past (and consequently the Baron's as
                  well). And Othar's twitter strongly suggests that the past is malleable.

                • jsheikg
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 23, 2013
                    > Indeed.
                    >
                    > Also...nuked? Really? This is Girl Genius! "Nuked" is rather pedestrian.
                    >
                    > Also, "sending the town into the future" is far from "just" -- it allows
                    > you (or your heir) to make arrangements without interference--rather
                    > like a very long Time Stop spell.

                    True, a nuke does seem a bit too mundane, and for the purposes of funny story telling a bit too permanent.
                    I prefer the "Pocket Universe" option.
                    Yes the whole town simply disappeared, seemingly permanently and leaving a great whacking hole in the ground, but our Girl Genius wasn't within range of the effect thanks to the portal and so has options.