Not necessarily a Big Red Button

  • William Ansley
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
      On last Friday's Girl Genius page (April 26, 2013), Klaus is shown holding
      something in the second-to-last panel.

      It looks like a roughly spherical device with a big red button on the side
      opposite from the side that is resting on his palm. Presumably, it is the
      Black Level Item that he personally collected from the Central Vault.

      It is also, presumably, the reason Klaus felt he could "walk into"
      Mechanicsburg alone and deal with the situation himself. In other words, it
      is a doomsday device or superweapon.

      In that case, the big red button on the device is a Big Red Button, which
      seems to be the general consensus in Girl Genius fan discussions of this
      page.

      http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigRedButton

      Considering the iconic significance of the Big Red Button (go ahead and
      google it yourself), this thing that seems to be a Big Red Button may
      actually be one and probably is; however, as has been mentioned in other
      discussions of this page elsewhere, it really doesn't make sense for this
      Big Red Button to be on a device that Klaus has to hold with one hand while
      he presses the Button with the other. What's to stop a sharpshooter from
      shooting the device out of his hand or shooting him in the hand so he drops
      it? Perhaps the thing that looks like a big red button is something else.
      Perhaps it is the cover for a warning light that will go off if
      Klaus activates the device (by means of a switch we can't see or don't
      recognize) or drops it. "If this light starts flashing you have 30 minutes
      to get out of Mechanicsburg before the entire city is destroyed."

      Or perhaps it is just a decoy to distract people from the real weapon.

      --
      William Ansley

    • Rose Marie Mack
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 8:05 AM
        Or a dead-man switch.

        Rose Marie
        There is an important sense in which government is distinctive from administration. One is perpetual, the other is temporary and changeable. A man may be loyal to his government and yet oppose the particular principles and methods of administration. Abraham Lincoln, Congressional Record, April 15, 1942, 16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

        >________________________________

      • Mary Lumsden
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 1:15 PM

          Countdown.

          Oh nicely done Klaus.
          From his point of view, he is doing the Hero sacrifice gambit.

          1. To him he sees Agatha as Luc as the Other = THREAT to the Empire.
          2. He's compromised thanks to that Wasp.
          3. He has taken pains to ensure that his son is in control for succession
          AND get his ppl to follow it.
          4. Tarvek and other trouble makers are all there in Mechaniscburg.

          So he comes down and either destroy all threats or gets a quick talking to
          Before hand.

          Guessing its not the 5 minutes. 5 seconds would be a bit brief.. but dunno.

          Only thing Im wondering is - what plans / methods did he implement
          regarding the mechanical Ana-Luc.?

          Dr. Ter'an Humor

          > .

        • Donald Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1 1:32 PM
            On May 1, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Mary Lumsden <mtlumsden@...> wrote:

            > Countdown.
            >
            > Oh nicely done Klaus.
            > From his point of view, he is doing the Hero sacrifice gambit.
            >
            > 1. To him he sees Agatha as Luc as the Other = THREAT to the Empire.
            > 2. He's compromised thanks to that Wasp.
            > 3. He has taken pains to ensure that his son is in control for succession
            > AND get his ppl to follow it.
            > 4. Tarvek and other trouble makers are all there in Mechaniscburg.

            I think he may be there for help, the bomb and such was to get "permission" for Anevka/Lucrezia to come.

            He knows a lot. He has heard from Boris pretty much the full story - that Agatha wasn't Lucrezia to start with, and that Lucrezia was downloaded into her. Looking back on the fight outside Sturmhalten, he would see the difference once the locket was put on - and he was seen fiddling with the locket so he may know what it does, may even have modified it a bit. He presumably got access to Tarvek's notebook and knows that Tarvek has a cure for the wasp, or at least a protection.

            I don't think it's a coincidence that Klaus is in the best place and best company to have his wasp problem solved.

            > So he comes down and either destroy all threats or gets a quick talking to
            > Before hand.
            >
            > Guessing its not the 5 minutes. 5 seconds would be a bit brief.. but dunno.
            >
            > Only thing Im wondering is - what plans / methods did he implement
            > regarding the mechanical Ana-Luc.?
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1 7:16 PM
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

              > I think he may be there for help, the bomb and such was to get "permission" for Anevka/Lucrezia to come.
              >
              > On May 1, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Mary Lumsden <mtlumsden@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Only thing Im wondering is - what plans / methods did he implement
              > > regarding the mechanical Ana-Luc.?

              Perhaps the Big Red Button IS a destruct button. Remotely. Where Ane/Luc is.
            • David Goldfarb
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1 8:55 PM

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1 8:56 PM
                  Argh. Sorry for the misclick.

                  On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Dave <mac_lyr@...> wrote:

                  > Perhaps the Big Red Button IS a destruct button. Remotely. Where Ane/Luc is.

                  I suspect it's a destruct button...for the vehicle he arrived in.
                  He's trying to get out from under Lunevka's thumb, and now that he's
                  in Mechanicsburg (where Lunevka won't want to go) he doesn't need to
                  get out.

                  David Goldfarb