Re: Faces

  • arhazade
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
      >Phil, I love this story, I've been reading it since 2005, but the way
      > you draw faces is really starting to bug me. I know the comic is
      > stylized and cartoony, but every single human character that I could
      > think of, with the sole exception of the Baron, have the same nose.

      The profile thing has been bothering me a bit also, but since my people-drawing skills would need a significant improvement in order to be classified as pathetic I really can't complain.

      Beautiful job on the fan art, by the way-- I do love me an interesting nose!
    • Joseph Cotton
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
        Also, it's my understanding that this is an occupational hazard in comic drawing -- it's really really _hard_ to draw a lot of very distinct faces, and a lot of illustrators end up making a lot of people that all look vaguely related.

        (Not that I'm saying Phil does that.)

        Joseph M. Cotton sylvaton@...

        Random movie quote #23:
        "Who's got the time [to do that]? I'm too busy doing nothing."
        Correctly identify the quote and win a US 50-cent piece!
        Only $4.99 shipping and handling to claim your prize.
        Hail Eris!

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chibiwakki" <chibiwakki@...> wrote:
          > Now that I've said so, here is a portrait I drew of Zeetha and Higgs.
          > With bonus Krosp!
          >
          > Zeetha & Higgs <
          > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5264242/sn/1711223542/name/zeethahiggs.jpg>
          > Krosp
          > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5264242/sn/1583995192/name/krosp.jpg>
          >
          > ~octochan

          Not bad, but you got the noses all wrong.

          -Steve
        • Eric Oppen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
            Quoting Joseph Cotton <sylvaton@...>:

            > Also, it's my understanding that this is an occupational hazard in
            > comic drawing -- it's really really _hard_ to draw a lot of very
            > distinct faces, and a lot of illustrators end up making a lot of
            > people that all look vaguely related.

            I've noticed this with other artists as well. The French erotic
            artist Pichard's women all look rather similar around the face.

          • abraham540
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2014
              I'm a big fan of Christopher Baldwin.  I've read his stuff since Bruno.  It seems like the faces and expressions over the last couple of comics are overly simplified and exagerrated.  I don't know really know what's going on.  I know it's not because the artist is new or unable.  Maybe because the radio plays are exaggerated in tone, and this is to reflect that?  Any ideas?
            • Joshua Kronengold
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2014
                abraham540@... wrote:
                >I'm a big fan of Christopher Baldwin. I've read his stuff since Bruno.
                >It seems like the faces and expressions over the last couple of comics
                >are overly simplified and exagerrated. I don't know really know what's
                >going on. I know it's not because the artist is new or unable. Maybe
                >because the radio plays are exaggerated in tone, and this is to reflect
                >that? Any ideas?

                It looks to me that he's doing Baldwin's version of Phil's style.
              • tom_brosz
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014

                  Those of us who've been immersed in comics like "Spacetrawler" are used to Baldwin's style.  That said, he has done a lot of experimenting with his art. His newest SF strip isn't the same style as "Spacetrawler," and his GG work isn't like either of them.