Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Faces

  • Dimo Jager
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013
      From: jsheikg

      >> Phil, I love this story, I've been reading it since 2005, but the way
      >> you draw faces is really starting to bug me. I know the comic is
      >> stylized and cartoony, but every single human character that I could
      >> think of, with the sole exception of the Baron, have the same nose.

      >Feel lucky he's not drawing Manga and nobody has a nose except the bad guys.

      I resemble that!

    • quasar973
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chibiwakki" <chibiwakki@...> wrote:

        > I have to get something off my chest.
        >
        > Phil, I love this story, I've been reading it since 2005, but the way
        > you draw faces is really starting to bug me. I know the comic is
        > stylized and cartoony, but every single human character that I could
        > think of, with the sole exception of the Baron, have the same nose.
        > It's especially noticeable when you draw people in profile.

        I think in Phil's drawing style, the nose is part of the facial expression - just like the eyes, mouth, and teeth, it can change shape and size dramatically, depending on the character's expression. The noses are also often drawn differently in close-ups than when seen from a distance.

        That said, I don't fully agree with your assessment that all human characters have the same nose. Certainly many of the younger characters have small noses. That seems to agree with real life (looking around the 10 or so people currently in the room with me, I don't see all that much variability in nose phenotypes). Othar's nose is wider. Dimo and Maxim have distinctive noses (ok, maybe they are not technically human *any more*). So does Master Payne. Tarvek's nose is slightly more turned-up, with his glasses often perched near the tip. Lars also used to have a slightly turned-up nose. Picking pages at random, I see lots of different nose types, although this sometimes varies from panel to panel:

        Even on yesterday's page, the noses are quite different. Higgs's nose is much wider than Zeetha's, with more pronounced nostrils:

        -- Quasar
      • arhazade
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
          >Phil, I love this story, I've been reading it since 2005, but the way
          > you draw faces is really starting to bug me. I know the comic is
          > stylized and cartoony, but every single human character that I could
          > think of, with the sole exception of the Baron, have the same nose.

          The profile thing has been bothering me a bit also, but since my people-drawing skills would need a significant improvement in order to be classified as pathetic I really can't complain.

          Beautiful job on the fan art, by the way-- I do love me an interesting nose!
        • Joseph Cotton
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 21, 2013
            Also, it's my understanding that this is an occupational hazard in comic drawing -- it's really really _hard_ to draw a lot of very distinct faces, and a lot of illustrators end up making a lot of people that all look vaguely related.

            (Not that I'm saying Phil does that.)

            Joseph M. Cotton sylvaton@...

            Random movie quote #23:
            "Who's got the time [to do that]? I'm too busy doing nothing."
            Correctly identify the quote and win a US 50-cent piece!
            Only $4.99 shipping and handling to claim your prize.
            Hail Eris!

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chibiwakki" <chibiwakki@...> wrote:
              > Now that I've said so, here is a portrait I drew of Zeetha and Higgs.
              > With bonus Krosp!
              >
              > Zeetha & Higgs <
              > http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5264242/sn/1711223542/name/zeethahiggs.jpg>
              > Krosp
              > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5264242/sn/1583995192/name/krosp.jpg>
              >
              > ~octochan

              Not bad, but you got the noses all wrong.

              -Steve
            • Eric Oppen
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
                Quoting Joseph Cotton <sylvaton@...>:

                > Also, it's my understanding that this is an occupational hazard in
                > comic drawing -- it's really really _hard_ to draw a lot of very
                > distinct faces, and a lot of illustrators end up making a lot of
                > people that all look vaguely related.

                I've noticed this with other artists as well. The French erotic
                artist Pichard's women all look rather similar around the face.

              • abraham540
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2014
                  I'm a big fan of Christopher Baldwin.  I've read his stuff since Bruno.  It seems like the faces and expressions over the last couple of comics are overly simplified and exagerrated.  I don't know really know what's going on.  I know it's not because the artist is new or unable.  Maybe because the radio plays are exaggerated in tone, and this is to reflect that?  Any ideas?
                • Joshua Kronengold
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2014
                    abraham540@... wrote:
                    >I'm a big fan of Christopher Baldwin. I've read his stuff since Bruno.
                    >It seems like the faces and expressions over the last couple of comics
                    >are overly simplified and exagerrated. I don't know really know what's
                    >going on. I know it's not because the artist is new or unable. Maybe
                    >because the radio plays are exaggerated in tone, and this is to reflect
                    >that? Any ideas?

                    It looks to me that he's doing Baldwin's version of Phil's style.
                  • tom_brosz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014

                      Those of us who've been immersed in comics like "Spacetrawler" are used to Baldwin's style.  That said, he has done a lot of experimenting with his art. His newest SF strip isn't the same style as "Spacetrawler," and his GG work isn't like either of them.