Re: [Girl Genius] website/domain issue

  • Erika Westberg
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
      Typo in my message(sorry about that!), but not in my bookmark. It's the
      same bookmark that has taken me to www.girlgeniusonline.com for quite a
      while now. I get the splashscreen, but when I click on the link for The
      Comic, I get a Network Solutions generic web page.

      > --Dean L. Surkin

      Same here, first page works and second doesn't.
      /Erika

    • Donald Brown
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
        On Mar 12, 2013, at 7:37 AM, deansurkin <dsurkin@...> wrote:

        > As I mentioned, the typo was only in my message; my bookmark has the correct site. Please try this link and tell me if you get the comic, because I only get the Network Solutions generic web page:
        >
        > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php
        >
        > --Dean L. Surkin

        Comic loads fine for me (on Safari on Mac, if it matters)
      • David Goldfarb
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
          On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Erika Westberg
          <erika.westberg@...> wrote:

          > Typo in my message(sorry about that!), but not in my bookmark. It's the
          > same bookmark that has taken me to www.girlgeniusonline.com for quite a
          > while now. I get the splashscreen, but when I click on the link for The
          > Comic, I get a Network Solutions generic web page.
          >

          > > --Dean L. Surkin
          > >

          > Same here, first page works and second doesn't.
          > /Erika

          Everything seems to be working fine for me.

          David Goldfarb
        • lupaccio13
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
            I have a link in my Favorites that always took me there. Today it failed several times. I cut and pasted, google searched, all that stuff. Now the link is working again. Yay?

            Jack

          • Martin J Hooper
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
              Dont even get the Network solutions landing page - Just a blank
              screen!
            • Mary Lumsden
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
                Happens for me too.
                I think anyone who viewed it ealier today and the brower had it cached you
                can still see the comic.
                Anyone who just went today and didnt have it in cache is seeing the renewal
                screen.

                Maybe someone should hop on FB and alert the profs?

                On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...
                > wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Dont even get the Network solutions landing page - Just a blank
                > screen!

              • William Ansley
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
                  On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Mary Lumsden <mtlumsden@...> wrote:

                  > Happens for me too.
                  > I think anyone who viewed it ealier today and the brower had it cached you
                  > can still see the comic.
                  > Anyone who just went today and didnt have it in cache is seeing the renewal
                  > screen.
                  >
                  > Maybe someone should hop on FB and alert the profs?

                  The Foglios have renewed the girlgeniusonline.com domain today. Changes to
                  the DNS may take some time to propagate over the entire Internet, so some
                  people may still have trouble accessing the web site for a day or two. If
                  anyone has trouble seeing the comic on the regular web site, remember there
                  are alternative sites:

                  LiveJournal: http://girlgeniuscomic.livejournal.com/ (This actually doesn't
                  seem to be working right now. Yikes!)
                  Deviantart: http://girlgeniuscomic.deviantart.com/

                  (For an explanation of what DNS means, see this:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System)

                  --
                  William Ansley

                • deansurkin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

                    [snip]
                    > The Foglios have renewed the girlgeniusonline.com domain today. Changes to
                    > the DNS may take some time to propagate over the entire Internet, [snip]
                    > William Ansley

                    It's working for me now.

                    --Dean L. Surkin
                  • quasar973
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 12, 2013
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "deansurkin" <dsurkin@...> wrote:

                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > [snip]
                      > > The Foglios have renewed the girlgeniusonline.com domain today. Changes to
                      > > the DNS may take some time to propagate over the entire Internet, [snip]
                      > > William Ansley
                      > >
                      > It's working for me now.
                      >
                      > --Dean L. Surkin

                      It wasn't working for me just now (got the network solutions page). "Reload" did not help, but "shift reload" did (this is in Firefox). I guess that made it re-query the DNS server. -- Quasar
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 13, 2013
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quasar973" <quasar973@...> wrote:
                        > It wasn't working for me just now (got the network solutions page). "Reload" did not help, but "shift reload" did (this is in Firefox). I guess that made it re-query the DNS server. -- Quasar

                        I'm getting pretty frustrated and also confused. It's Wednesday morning and I still can't get onto the site, but that's not all. Monday when I checked it was still showing Friday's comic. Tuesday and Wednesday I couldn't get to the web page. This morning I saw all those handy links to other sites people have posted, but the comic pages all seem to be a page off. There should have been two pages today that I hadn't seen, but there's only one and it has today's date. The one I remember from friday has monday's date and so on. I suppose my memory must be bonkers, but I think I must have missed a page somewhere and I can't find it. The site is down so I can't look for it.

                        This happened once before when the pages were all loading late and I missed a page. It was the one where Bang drinks the anti wasp potion and starts glowing. People were postulating about it weeks later and I had no idea what they were going on about.

                        -Steve
                      • deansurkin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 13, 2013
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Paul Rewa, M.S." <rewastev@...> wrote:
                          [snip]

                          > This happened once before when the pages were all loading late and I missed a page. It was the one where Bang drinks the anti wasp potion and starts glowing. People were postulating about it weeks later and I had no idea what they were going on about.
                          >
                          > -Steve

                          I must have missed that one, too. I don't remember Bang drinking an anti-wasp potion. What was the approximate date of that one?

                          --Dean L. Surkin
                        • Marybeth Griffin
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 13, 2013
                            On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM, deansurkin <dsurkin@...> wrote:
                            > I must have missed that one, too. I don't remember Bang drinking an anti-wasp potion. What was the approximate date of that one?
                            >
                            > --Dean L. Surkin

                            This is the actual drinking, but leading up to this:

                            marybeth
                          • quasar973
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 13, 2013
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "deansurkin" <dsurkin@...> wrote:

                              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Paul Rewa, M.S." <rewastev@> wrote:
                              > [snip]
                              > >
                              > > This happened once before when the pages were all loading late and I missed a page. It was the one where Bang drinks the anti wasp potion and starts glowing. People were postulating about it weeks later and I had no idea what they were going on about.
                              > >
                              > > -Steve
                              > >
                              > I must have missed that one, too. I don't remember Bang drinking an anti-wasp potion. What was the approximate date of that one?
                              >
                              > --Dean L. Surkin

                              Here it is:

                            • William Ansley
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 13, 2013
                                On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S.
                                <rewastev@...>wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quasar973" <quasar973@...> wrote:
                                > > It wasn't working for me just now (got the network solutions page).
                                > "Reload" did not help, but "shift reload" did (this is in Firefox). I guess
                                > that made it re-query the DNS server. -- Quasar
                                > >

                                > I'm getting pretty frustrated and also confused. It's Wednesday morning
                                > and I still can't get onto the site, but that's not all. Monday when I
                                > checked it was still showing Friday's comic. Tuesday and Wednesday I
                                > couldn't get to the web page. This morning I saw all those handy links to
                                > other sites people have posted, but the comic pages all seem to be a page
                                > off. There should have been two pages today that I hadn't seen, but there's
                                > only one and it has today's date. The one I remember from friday has
                                > monday's date and so on. I suppose my memory must be bonkers, but I think I
                                > must have missed a page somewhere and I can't find it. The site is down so
                                > I can't look for it.

                                The main GG site seems to be up for most people now. Have you tried
                                completely clearing everything on your web browser (cache, cookies,
                                browsing history, etc.) or using a different browser than you normally do?
                                I admit, the problem you are reporting seems stranger that just an outdated
                                browser cache, so this may not help.

                                Here is a guide to identifying the last few pages of the comic, so you can
                                verify if there really is one you haven't seen. I'll list the dates and the
                                first few words of text:

                                Monday, March 4, 2013: "I want my personal set of drop-armor prepped and
                                waiting in bay two hundred."
                                Wednesday, March 6, 2013: "No no, that wouldn't be fair, after all..."
                                Friday, March 8, 2013: "--But Herr Baron! The lad has been wasped!"
                                Monday, March 11, 2013: "Send a first priority message to all units in the
                                field--"
                                Wednesday, March 13, 2013: "Still... I admit, the point of this particular
                                joke eludes me..." [Meanwhile, in Mechanicsburg--]

                                --
                                William Ansley

                              • mrobinson52
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 14, 2013
                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

                                  > The main GG site seems to be up for most people now. Have you tried
                                  > completely clearing everything on your web browser (cache, cookies,
                                  > browsing history, etc.) or using a different browser than you normally do?
                                  > I admit, the problem you are reporting seems stranger that just an outdated
                                  > browser cache, so this may not help.
                                  >
                                  > Here is a guide to identifying the last few pages of the comic, so you can
                                  > verify if there really is one you haven't seen. I'll list the dates and the
                                  > first few words of text:
                                  >
                                  > Monday, March 4, 2013: "I want my personal set of drop-armor prepped and
                                  > waiting in bay two hundred."
                                  > Wednesday, March 6, 2013: "No no, that wouldn't be fair, after all..."
                                  > Friday, March 8, 2013: "--But Herr Baron! The lad has been wasped!"
                                  > Monday, March 11, 2013: "Send a first priority message to all units in the
                                  > field--"
                                  > Wednesday, March 13, 2013: "Still... I admit, the point of this particular
                                  > joke eludes me..." [Meanwhile, in Mechanicsburg--]
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > William Ansley

                                  I think you were thinking of the flushdns command, which will make your computer reach out to get the correct new dns settings for varous sites. There is a simple how to here: http://www.ehow.com/how_6533197_clear-dns-cache.html

                                  Mary
                                • William Ansley
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 14, 2013
                                    On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM, mrobinson52 <mrobinson52@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > [snip] Have you tried
                                    > > completely clearing everything on your web browser (cache, cookies,
                                    > > browsing history, etc.) [snip]

                                    I think you were thinking of the flushdns command, which will make your
                                    > computer reach out to get the correct new dns settings for varous sites.
                                    > There is a simple how to here:
                                    > http://www.ehow.com/how_6533197_clear-dns-cache.html

                                    Mary,

                                    Thanks for the tip and you are correct, clearing the web browser cache,
                                    cookies, etc., won't do anything to solve a DNS problem. But I was thinking
                                    of the statement that pages of the comic were either missing or seemed to
                                    be showing up on the wrong dates when I made my suggestion, since I have
                                    seen extremely weird browser behaviors caused by a bad cache file. In any
                                    case, this has gotten seriously off topic, so this should be the last
                                    message in this this thread.

                                    --
                                    William Ansley