Re: That Darn Manga!

  • joleenwhite
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 2:53 PM
      > Obviously, this bad influence must be destroyed. Once I perfect my time
      > machine, I'm going to make sure Osamu Tezuka is never born and that should
      > put a stop to Mr. Phil Foglio's "more relaxed pace"!

      As someone who came to this a little late, I have to say I agree with Phil on the pacing. Reading the archives through from the beginning is very enjoyable. Now that I am caught up, of course, it is painful. I'll borrow your time machine and just go forward about a decade and camp in front of a computer to read up.
    • Nanakisan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1 4:08 PM
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "joleenwhite" <joleenwhite@...> wrote:

        > > Obviously, this bad influence must be destroyed. Once I perfect my time
        > > machine, I'm going to make sure Osamu Tezuka is never born and that should
        > > put a stop to Mr. Phil Foglio's "more relaxed pace"!
        >
        > As someone who came to this a little late, I have to say I agree with Phil on the pacing. Reading the archives through from the beginning is very enjoyable. Now that I am caught up, of course, it is painful. I'll borrow your time machine and just go forward about a decade and camp in front of a computer to read up.

        I to must agree with the pacing. Unlike Godot. Girl Genius thrives off of the cliff hangers and such. Not to mention the key benefit here is. Not as many text bubbles and more details in the actions being portrayed.

        Best example
        http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080322

        With this

        Sorry many good examples i know. But that was the best one i could pull out.
        Anyway the thing here is. There is more emphasis being shown on the characters actions moreover their heads and what they say. Something i agree with. Osamu Tezuka's mangas always had this sort of pacing. Its what made him a genius with his works.
      • Abraham
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3 9:58 AM
          Good pacing is required for a good story. It illustrates characters' journeys, what they have to sacrifice and why, and their thoughts and feelings during their journeys. Sacrificing pacing for information or for faster conflict resolution would make for a more informative or simply shorter, but less interesting story.

          On a completely different note, if I find a spelling error in one of the comics, do the Professors Foglio appreciate being informed of it before they publish, and how would I go about doing so?
        • Abraham
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3 10:06 AM
            Nevermind, found my answer, wish I could take it back now.
          • tom_brosz
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3 8:50 PM
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

              > It's all the fault of that darn manga!

              Special training is required to build up tolerance. I recommend heavy doses of "Dragonball Z." I think the record to date for "Number of Episodes Required to Carry Off a Single Attack Move" is three.
            • Nanakisan
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4 6:59 PM
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "tom_brosz" <tbrosz@...> wrote:

                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@> wrote:
                > >
                > > It's all the fault of that darn manga!
                > >

                > Special training is required to build up tolerance. I recommend heavy doses of "Dragonball Z." I think the record to date for "Number of Episodes Required to Carry Off a Single Attack Move" is three.

                If i recall wasn't it like 5 episodes for when Goku wanted to do that spirit bomb on Freeza in the first season?