Re: [Girl Genius] Re: The Cast List

  • William Ansley
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM, <brendawriter@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "tom_brosz" wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm getting the idea that the Foglios have quietly given up on
      > assembling a comprehensive cast list covering all the volumes.
      > >
      > > Given that there's about eight hundred major characters and probably
      > about six thousand minor ones, I can't say I blame them!
      > >

      > That's what heaven ordained the Wiki for. I assure you that every possible
      > cast member is there, usually with an accompanying illustration.

      The Girl Genus wiki (http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Girl_Genius_Wiki) is
      a wonderful resource (and I say that as someone who not only spends much
      time consulting it, but also as a contributor), but it's not the same as
      having a source direct from the authors.

      I doubt the Foglios have given up on updating the cast list, however; I'm
      sure it is on their to-do list. I think the problem is that they are
      spreading themselves rather thin these days. Not only do they have to do
      all the work involved in getting a full page of the comic out three times a
      week, but they have to manage their business, look after their kids and
      their house, and write their third Girl Genius novel (with more to come).
      In addition, they post blog entries and attend conventions. Kaja is also
      planning to do a major overhaul of the web site and she (presumably) is
      still working on the GG role-playing game. Phil has to finish up the "Sail
      your (Air)ship" drawings for those who pre-ordered volume 11 with that as a
      premium, and he has obligated himself to do the art for several more "paper
      dolls" for the Girl Genius app, and whatever he has to contribute for the
      Rats of Mechanicsburg game. Plus, both of them have promised to contribute
      voice recordings for Rats. And recently Phil has stated that they are
      planning a Kickstarter campaign to reprint the GG books, which will
      involved extra rewards, which he and Kaja will have to create. No doubt
      there are things I've missed, as well.

      This is not intended as either an excuse or a criticism, but it is no
      wonder that the GG cast list has fallen by the wayside and that the GG web
      site navigation menu hasn't been updated in months.

      --
      William Ansley

    • uncleop22
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25 5:45 AM
        Sorry - sort of - for reviving an old thread; it was the first to show up in my search. When I look at:
        Girl Genius Online Comics!

        the active links at the top for the cast of each chapter starts with "Seven" and go to "Nine". I thought for sure that I had see "One" through "Six" active in the past. Has the task of keeping the historical catalog been moved - tacitly or otherwise - to the wiki? Seems unfortunate if so.

        Or did some files get deleted that were not backed up, leaving the Profs. Foglio in their own mad places?
      • Joseph Cotton
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25 10:18 PM
          Looks like the cast list page hasn't been updated to the new layout yet. Maybe chapters 1 - 6 will come back when it is.

          Joseph M. Cotton sylvaton@...

          Random song quote #25:
          "Goldfoot's machine creates another fiend so beautiful they make you kill"
          Correctly identify the quote and win a US 50-cent piece!
          Only $4.99 shipping and handling to claim your prize.
          Hail Eris!
        • aseachangea
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29 4:45 PM
            This group needs a moderator who's going to be around, so I randomly appointed a few of you.  You can un-appoint yourselves or not, or pick someone you wanna who also does wanna.
          • wa_gg_fan
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30 7:42 AM
              You can add me, if you don't mind. I meant to volunteer before, but didn't get around to it. I plan on sticking around until the end.

              --
              William Ansley