The Battle of Mechanicsburg Phase III

  • strohmeyerk
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
      Hello All:
      I think this would be a good time to step back and do a
      recap on where the conflict in Mechanicburg is going and see if it has reached
      a decisive phase from which we can determine who the victor is and more
      importantly let's discuss what winning would be defined as.
      PHASE I AVENGERS AND PRETENDERS:
      I refer to the various aggrieved or self identified
      aggrieved parties who want to kill the Baron as we saw while he was in the
      hospital escalating to the onslaught of the "Pretenders" meaning those who wish
      to usurp the Wulfenbach Empire by seizing Mechanicsburg. This phase (with
      some intervention by Gil while commanding the Wulfenbach forces ) has
      concluded with the defeat of these forces with the combination of the FSDD's
      (Fun Sized Death Dispensers aka the big kitties!) Doom Bell and the Jagers
      clearing the streets.
      Phase II Pantomime,Fandance and Phoenix.
      I refer to the all and sundry sparks employed by the Baron
      _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120910_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120910) along with hmm special units ie the
      ram,_http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120917_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120917) the dragon
      _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121001_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121001) and what could be termed specialty urban warfare units
      _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120921_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120921) that seemed to be used as distractions and
      psy-ops to _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121019_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121019)
      _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121112_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20121112) allow the main effort to get into place.
      Two questions I have. How do you move 1000's of troops through
      Mechanicsburg which last we saw was aswarm with Jaegers without running into them. Are
      they hiding?Jaegers hide??!! Possibly those troops were airlanded but that
      leads to another question. Wasn't the fleet commandeered by the Jaegers
      earlier on? Or is this a new fleet?
      Phoenix refers to the return of the Baron to assume command. With his
      return begins the main effort to subdue Mechanicsburg and seize or kill Agatha.

      Which leads to Phase III which we are currently in. I call this phase The
      Rock and High Tide. That means Der Kessels reactivation
      _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20130206_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20130206) and stand against the main line of the Baron's army.
      This is the decisive pahse and is aparent that victory is in terms of
      destroying the Kessel and killing Agatha is not possible for the Baron. We
      seemed to have worked through the more whacky units(Scooty Puff Brigade and
      Devil Girls) and now with the last page the Kessel is engaging the core of the
      Barons forces . It is apparent they are reeling and will be pulling back
      through Mechanicsburg. Perhaps this is where the Jaegers will resurface?
      The airship fleet has been either wiped out or dispersed and Kessel is able
      to reach out from every direction including the sky
      _http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20130125_
      (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20130125) aand destroy the Baron's forces. Pending some incredible
      secret weapon I don't see how the Baron's tactical position can be tenable
      and retreat is the only option. The big problem for the Baron is will he be
      allowed to retreat by Aneka and then if so (with what he has left) where
      to? I ask because it seems that The Other and the monsters are pressing in
      from Sturmhalten cuting off his line of retreat and are going to be the next
      threat. Which gets us to the last phase.

      Phase IV Endgame and Crossroads. The end game is how the Barons forces
      will be driven back meaning totally annihilated or allowed to run away mostly
      intact. My Moxana points say somewhere in the middle meaning very badly
      mauled and no longer able to sustain the grasp on the empire it once could but
      strong enough to reestablish some semblance of stability to the core areas
      of europa. The main result will be that the Baron will not have the
      strength he needs to take Mechanicsburg or Agatha. The cross roads is symbolic
      of the cross roads both Agatha and the Baron find themselves at. Agatha has
      to choose between being satisfied with a tactical victory i.e. keeping the
      Baron at bay or a decisive strategic one meaning pushing out further to
      conquer more territory to prevent him from gathering strength . Essentially
      does she just want stability or go for her own Empire (perhaps at the urging
      of both Tarvek and Krosp)

      At what point does she tell the Kesssel to stop? And more interestingly
      does the Kessel obey. I say yes but not without a lot of backsass! For the
      Baron the choice is admit defeat and pull away to fight another day or see
      his Empire obliterated by a "pile of rocks"? Then the final question for
      Agatha and the Baron:
      Do they Join forces to fight what is coming at them from Strumhalten? I
      have a suspicion that Gil will urge his father to do so and that is where we
      will find out how much of a hold Aneka has on him. I also suspect that some
      sort of face to face encounter between the Baron and Agatha is inevitable
      and we will see what effect her voice will have on him. These are now the
      possible directions I see forthcoming in the near future. I am interested in
      the thoughts of the group in terms of agreeing with me or other
      possibilities that I did not forsee. Now let the wild speculations begin!

      All Hail
      Lady Agatha!

      Karl aka
      vidavina

    • Mary Lumsden
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
        Is it a lost or a tactical withdrawl?

        **You all might hate me, but I want to see another 2 weeks of actions of
        Der Kassel dealing with the various invaders
        Including all those coming from Stru., the released monsters doing their
        thing. "ALL OUT ATTACK - MECHANICSBURG MONSTERS, DESTROY ALL INVADING
        MONSTERS"
        though Id like to see more of the other ursupers getting soundly trounced
        too. Along with the scavengers who were hoping to loot the area.

        **Even more so if we could get some comments from the old folks as they are
        watching the action**

        ** I d also love to see the faces of the rest of the main party, W's team,
        Agatha herself, and the main villians reactions to Der Kastle.

        Part of me wonders if what the Engineers were repairing earlier on Der
        Kastles orders were the gates for the monsters

        It was commented before that all the wacky wannabe, rebellious elements,
        and petty dictators were all headed here.
        What happens to their lands before they are defeated?

        The Baron has troops in the area yes, but as we ve seen alot of those
        forces are the demented minor sparks that he s been holding in check- and
        now released.

        So all of those forces being defeated remove a pile of the troublesome
        problems are dealt with.

        This lets the Baron focus on his other concerns.

        The Baron is also VERY VERY smart, even if wasped and Der Kastle had like
        the Baron.

        The sad part are the grunts, the normal people who are also getting killed
        during this.

        Though, to be fair the Jagers had been doing their best to disable rather
        than just wontly kill the grunts.

        ** What I really would like is a large picture of the whole forces in
        action while a clear profile of a "Snoopy dance" dancing Agatha on the
        rooftop.

        **With eveyrone say - oh yes Now thats THE HETERODYNE!!! and be equally
        cheering and fearing.

        -Dr. Teran Humor M.C.L
        Who realizes that she lost her sanity somewhere in the distant past.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, VidaVina@... wrote:

          > Hello All:
          > I think this would be a good time to step back and do a
          > recap on where the conflict in Mechanicburg is going and see if it has reached
          > a decisive phase from which we can determine who the victor is and more
          > importantly let's discuss what winning would be defined as.

          You know I love Girl Genius and your post are fun, but I'm not reading all of this.

          -Steve
        • strohmeyerk
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
            In a message dated 2/26/2013 12:55:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            rewastev@... writes:

            You know I love Girl Genius and your post are fun, but I'm not reading all
            of this.

            -Steve
            I'm sorry to hear that Steve. I do recall a lot of very in depth letters
            being written by others before and being discussed in detail. It is one of
            the features of this group that is appealing to me. Would you please make an
            effort sometime later and read over at least most of it. I would appreciate
            it. Thank you!

            All Hail Lady Agatha!!

            Karl aka vidavina

          • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
              I am not entirely sure that what is coming up from Sturmhalten is against the Baron. If it is under the command of one of the Lus, then very likely, it is REINFORCEMENTS for the Baron.

              -Steph

            • strohmeyerk
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
                In a message dated 2/26/2013 1:42:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                vvalkyrie@... writes:

                I am not entirely sure that what is coming up from Sturmhalten is against
                the Baron. If it is under the command of one of the Lus, then very likely,
                it is REINFORCEMENTS for the Baron.

                -Steph
                Let's say that is the case. By the way excellent point I may add. If it is
                anything like what the Kessel is now turning into various forms of meat
                squish or mechanized junk what difference will it make? Unless that have some
                thing VERY VERY VERY bad and nasty they will end up either dead or running
                for their lives. I do think we may see some Revenant Monster on Kessel
                Monster action very soon!.

                All Hail Lady Agatha,

                Karl aka vidavina

              • strohmeyerk
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 26, 2013
                  In a message dated 2/26/2013 11:13:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  mtlumsden@... writes:

                  ** What I really would like is a large picture of the whole forces in
                  action while a clear profile of a "Snoopy dance" dancing Agatha on the
                  rooftop.

                  **With eveyrone say - oh yes Now thats THE HETERODYNE!!! and be equally
                  cheering and fearing.
                  Dear Dr Terran and all concerned:
                  I fully agree and would relish such a scene! Now I do
                  think her exultation will be tapered back by realizing how much death is
                  being inflicted on her behalf and that she will want to work out a settlement
                  on equal terms if the Baron (which in his wasped state I really think is
                  not possible) will agree to that. But maybe so if only to be a trap for
                  Agatha. I am sure she and those close to her will be aware of that threat but
                  decide for the sake of everyone on both sides to go ahead with negociations.

                  The Baron is also VERY VERY smart, even if wasped and Der Kastle had like
                  the Baron.

                  I think the Baron may find some way to convey that is in the thrall of the
                  Other to either/or Agatha/Der Kessel. It will be interesting to see what
                  actions Gil will take soon as this battle heads into a political and
                  diplomatic phase.also of interest will be what advise Der Kesel will offer as well.

                  All Hail Lady Agatha!

                  Karl aka vidavina

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, VidaVina@... wrote:
                    > -Steve
                    > I'm sorry to hear that Steve. I do recall a lot of very in depth letters
                    > being written by others before and being discussed in detail. It is one of
                    > the features of this group that is appealing to me. Would you please make an
                    > effort sometime later and read over at least most of it. I would appreciate
                    > it. Thank you!

                    Yeah, that was impolite of me. So I have read it, but I don't have much to add. One thing I will comment on is that I don't think there are as many jaegermonsters as it might seem. I think there are probably a few large groups of them and their presence is fairly limited in other areas where it wouldn't be so hard to infiltrate. As far as hijacking the fleet, I suspect it was only a few ships that they took and they Baron has plenty of others.