Re: [Girl Genius] Re: How far in advance is Girl Genius planned out

  • William Ansley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM, jim_learned <jlearned66@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > My opinion on GG planning is that the Foglios have a long-term plan, but
      > they make up the details as they go along. We can know some things that
      > will *eventually* happen because they have been foreshadowed.
      >
      > We will find out who Enigma is *at some point.* Agatha and Gil will travel
      > in time *at some point.* DK/Der Kestle will get conquered (or not!) *at
      > some point.* The way in which these long-term things happen is a short-term
      > decision, I think.
      >
      > Large side-stories (like the one we're in, apparently) are possible
      > because individual strips aren't as meticulously planned as the plot in
      > general is. I'm generally fine with this apparent (to me) improvisation
      > because it allows a for a degree of flexibility that wouldn't exist if the
      > whole comic were planned out in its entirety in advance. However, I can
      > also appreciate the master plan that I can perceive.

      [My original message with a quote from Phil Foglio's LiveJournal can be
      see here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/girlgenius/message/78036%5d

      Jim,

      Yes, the Foglios have stated that they have had the basic plot of GG all
      planned out from before they actually started writing and drawing the story
      and I believe them. But they have always been willing to improvise when it
      seemed to be a good idea. A well-known example of this is the
      Jaegermonsters. The Foglios had no idea that the Jaegers were going to be
      in the story when Phil started drawing volume 1, until he got to page 16
      (web version):

      Obviously, the "master plot" is just a bare bones thing and much has been
      added and improvised as the Foglios have progressed with the story. But the
      improvisation seems to work on more than one time scale. It seems very
      likely that some jokes are added to individual pages just before the final
      versions of those pages are drawn, and it is interesting to see that the
      Foglios are fleshing out the bare bones of the original "master plot" (at
      least in one case) several months in advance of the time when the final
      scripts for the individual pages were completed. Obviously, they have to be
      carefully planning everything well in advance to tell so complex a story,
      but it is fascinating when we get a little glimpse of the actual process. I
      hope Phil and Kaja (and co.) supply more behind-the-scenes details of the
      authoring of Girl Genius at some point, even if it is only after the whole
      story is complete.

      --
      William Ansley

    • jsheikg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        <snip>
        > I hope Phil and Kaja (and co.) supply more behind-the-scenes details of the
        > authoring of Girl Genius at some point, even if it is only after the whole
        > story is complete.

        Indeed, after so many years of producing GG I believe they could sell an entire volume based on nothing but what went on in the process, who and what side references were made (like with the Aaron Williams stuff) and what inspired them along the way.
        And we fans would need to snap it up as well to complete our sets!