Re: How far in advance is Girl Genius planned out

  • jim_learned
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

      > Back on July 30, 2012, Phil Foglio wrote this in his LiveJournal account:

      > Kaja and I did some choreography work on Girl Genius today. As anyone who
      > has read our comic for more than three pages can attest, we seem to be at
      > our most comfortable when our characters are sitting around talking to each
      > other. All very well, but occasionally Things Must Happen, and then we have
      > to do those tedious action sequences. The current said action sequence
      > involves a full┬ľout attack upon a mechanized Mordor. Christ, I might even
      > have to dig up some research books for this one.
      >
      > http://philfoglio.livejournal.com/21108.html
      >
      > It seems quite likely that we are currently well into the "tedious action
      > sequence" he was referring to now. Assuming that Phil was referring to the
      > current action sequence (and not some future "full┬ľout attack upon a
      > mechanized Mordor") and depending on when you want to say it started, this
      > action sequence was planned out some five or six months in advance. I find
      > this interesting, if not particularly significant.
      >
      > --
      > William Ansley

      My opinion on GG planning is that the Foglios have a long-term plan, but they make up the details as they go along. We can know some things that will *eventually* happen because they have been foreshadowed.

      We will find out who Enigma is *at some point.* Agatha and Gil will travel in time *at some point.* DK/Der Kestle will get conquered (or not!) *at some point.* The way in which these long-term things happen is a short-term decision, I think.

      Large side-stories (like the one we're in, apparently) are possible because individual strips aren't as meticulously planned as the plot in general is. I'm generally fine with this apparent (to me) improvisation because it allows a for a degree of flexibility that wouldn't exist if the whole comic were planned out in its entirety in advance. However, I can also appreciate the master plan that I can perceive.

      Jim
    • William Ansley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM, jim_learned <jlearned66@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > My opinion on GG planning is that the Foglios have a long-term plan, but
        > they make up the details as they go along. We can know some things that
        > will *eventually* happen because they have been foreshadowed.
        >
        > We will find out who Enigma is *at some point.* Agatha and Gil will travel
        > in time *at some point.* DK/Der Kestle will get conquered (or not!) *at
        > some point.* The way in which these long-term things happen is a short-term
        > decision, I think.
        >
        > Large side-stories (like the one we're in, apparently) are possible
        > because individual strips aren't as meticulously planned as the plot in
        > general is. I'm generally fine with this apparent (to me) improvisation
        > because it allows a for a degree of flexibility that wouldn't exist if the
        > whole comic were planned out in its entirety in advance. However, I can
        > also appreciate the master plan that I can perceive.

        [My original message with a quote from Phil Foglio's LiveJournal can be
        see here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/girlgenius/message/78036%5d

        Jim,

        Yes, the Foglios have stated that they have had the basic plot of GG all
        planned out from before they actually started writing and drawing the story
        and I believe them. But they have always been willing to improvise when it
        seemed to be a good idea. A well-known example of this is the
        Jaegermonsters. The Foglios had no idea that the Jaegers were going to be
        in the story when Phil started drawing volume 1, until he got to page 16
        (web version):

        Obviously, the "master plot" is just a bare bones thing and much has been
        added and improvised as the Foglios have progressed with the story. But the
        improvisation seems to work on more than one time scale. It seems very
        likely that some jokes are added to individual pages just before the final
        versions of those pages are drawn, and it is interesting to see that the
        Foglios are fleshing out the bare bones of the original "master plot" (at
        least in one case) several months in advance of the time when the final
        scripts for the individual pages were completed. Obviously, they have to be
        carefully planning everything well in advance to tell so complex a story,
        but it is fascinating when we get a little glimpse of the actual process. I
        hope Phil and Kaja (and co.) supply more behind-the-scenes details of the
        authoring of Girl Genius at some point, even if it is only after the whole
        story is complete.

        --
        William Ansley

      • jsheikg
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
          <snip>
          > I hope Phil and Kaja (and co.) supply more behind-the-scenes details of the
          > authoring of Girl Genius at some point, even if it is only after the whole
          > story is complete.

          Indeed, after so many years of producing GG I believe they could sell an entire volume based on nothing but what went on in the process, who and what side references were made (like with the Aaron Williams stuff) and what inspired them along the way.
          And we fans would need to snap it up as well to complete our sets!