Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Slightly OT: Recommendations for other graphic novels

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Daniel W. Johnson <argus@...> wrote:

      > On 2013-02-21 13:56, queen_librarian wrote:
      > > One boy at the school is named Von Fogg and he has a sister named Agatha
      > > with big glasses.
      >
      > His sister's name is Alexandra: http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=1128
      >
      > > He wears a rather familiar hat...
      >
      > As does his father, Dr. Philippe Von Fogg:
      > http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=404

      The boy's name is Victor. Anyone who doesn't know the names of Phil &
      Kaja Foglio's children might now be able to take a shrewd guess at
      them.

      Meanwhile, there are a couple of nods the other way. Look at:

      and in the last panel you will see Aaronev Wilhelm Sturmvoraus; have a
      look at the Wikipedia page for Nodwick, and scroll down to the picture
      of Aaron Williams, and you might notice a resemblance. On that same
      page he has a minion named "Artacz" -- one of the characters in
      _Nodwick_ is a wizard named Artax. Elsewhere in Sturmhalten we
      encounter a henchman named "Nod".

      _PS 238_, like Girl Genius, is one of the few titles I bought both in
      floppy and in collected form. There is no higher recommendation for a
      book than that I'm willing to spend my money on it twice.

      While I've got you here, let me recommend Ursula Vernon's _Digger_,
      the only comic besides _Girl Genius_ to win a Best Graphic Story Hugo.
      (Both _Watchmen_ and _The Dark Knight Returns_ won Hugos, but they
      were in different categories.) You can read it online for free at
      diggercomic.com; it's complete.

      David Goldfarb
    • aseachangea
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "queen_librarian" <queen_librarian@...> wrote:

        [mass snippage]
        > Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know anything about it. I'd love to catch up.

        ----

        Sea Change replies:

        I've allowed this thread to go, because it was tangentially related to the comic we're reading here. But now this is no longer related.

        Everyone, please let this thread die, or make a point of connecting it back to Girl Genius.

        Yours in Science
        Sea Change
        Moderator