Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Slightly OT: Recommendations for other graphic novels

  • Jon Fetting
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM, William Ansley <williamansley@...>wrote:

      > On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Eric Green <eric@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "joleenwhite" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I was wondering if anyone would recommend some additional current
      > > authors of graphic novels with larger stories.
      > >
      > > Gunnerkrigg Court: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/ -- note that there is
      > > significant art evolution between the beginning and the current, so if
      > you
      > > pop back to the beginning and go "ick", look at the current before
      > leaving
      > > it at that.
      > >

      > I will second the recommendation of Gunnerkrigg Court. The art at the
      > beginning is somewhat off putting, and the story starts out like a very
      > simplistic children's tale, but the art improves tremendously and story
      > takes on much greater depth as the work continues. The story is suitable
      > suitable for a younger audience than Girl Genius, but it can be enjoyed by
      > someone who is long past their childhood, such as myself. I am continually
      > impressed with the depth of characterization in Gunnerkrigg Court, which is
      > achieved seemingly effortlessly, with a story that moves from one
      > relatively short (though interrelated) episode to another.
      >
      > --
      > William Ansley
      >

      > One set of Comics that I did not see listed is PS238 by Aaron Williams. It
      is about a school for super kids and what they have to deal with being a
      kid and having superpowers. Yes it can be a bit silly but the writing is
      great and the characters are very memorable. Aaron is currently releasing
      pages for it every Mon,Wed, and Fri on http://ps238.nodwick.com/. If you
      get the 4th trade paper back you can read a great recommendation by Phil
      Foglio.

    • queen_librarian
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Jon Fetting <idiosyncinc@...> wrote:

        > > One set of Comics that I did not see listed is PS238 by Aaron Williams. It
        > is about a school for super kids and what they have to deal with being a
        > kid and having superpowers. Yes it can be a bit silly but the writing is
        > great and the characters are very memorable. Aaron is currently releasing
        > pages for it every Mon,Wed, and Fri on http://ps238.nodwick.com/. If you
        > get the 4th trade paper back you can read a great recommendation by Phil
        > Foglio.

        And there are some nods back & forth between the two artists as well. One boy at the school is named Von Fogg and he has a sister named Agatha with big glasses. He wears a rather familiar hat...
      • Daniel W. Johnson
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013

          His sister's name is Alexandra: http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=1128

          > He wears a rather familiar hat...

          As does his father, Dr. Philippe Von Fogg:
          http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=404
          --
          Daniel W. Johnson
          panoptes@...
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
            On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Daniel W. Johnson <argus@...> wrote:

            > On 2013-02-21 13:56, queen_librarian wrote:
            > > One boy at the school is named Von Fogg and he has a sister named Agatha
            > > with big glasses.
            >
            > His sister's name is Alexandra: http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=1128
            >
            > > He wears a rather familiar hat...
            >
            > As does his father, Dr. Philippe Von Fogg:
            > http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=404

            The boy's name is Victor. Anyone who doesn't know the names of Phil &
            Kaja Foglio's children might now be able to take a shrewd guess at
            them.

            Meanwhile, there are a couple of nods the other way. Look at:

            and in the last panel you will see Aaronev Wilhelm Sturmvoraus; have a
            look at the Wikipedia page for Nodwick, and scroll down to the picture
            of Aaron Williams, and you might notice a resemblance. On that same
            page he has a minion named "Artacz" -- one of the characters in
            _Nodwick_ is a wizard named Artax. Elsewhere in Sturmhalten we
            encounter a henchman named "Nod".

            _PS 238_, like Girl Genius, is one of the few titles I bought both in
            floppy and in collected form. There is no higher recommendation for a
            book than that I'm willing to spend my money on it twice.

            While I've got you here, let me recommend Ursula Vernon's _Digger_,
            the only comic besides _Girl Genius_ to win a Best Graphic Story Hugo.
            (Both _Watchmen_ and _The Dark Knight Returns_ won Hugos, but they
            were in different categories.) You can read it online for free at
            diggercomic.com; it's complete.

            David Goldfarb
          • aseachangea
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "queen_librarian" <queen_librarian@...> wrote:

              [mass snippage]
              > Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know anything about it. I'd love to catch up.

              ----

              Sea Change replies:

              I've allowed this thread to go, because it was tangentially related to the comic we're reading here. But now this is no longer related.

              Everyone, please let this thread die, or make a point of connecting it back to Girl Genius.

              Yours in Science
              Sea Change
              Moderator