Re: [Girl Genius] Slightly OT: Recommendations for other graphic novels

  • cacooke
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

      > On 2/17/2013 1:43 PM, joleenwhite wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering if anyone would recommend some additional current
      > > authors of graphic novels with larger stories. I recently discovered
      > > Girl Genius after reading Sandman many years ago. I clicked on one of
      > > the ads for Namesake and like that one too. With such a break in time
      > > between Sandman and now, I was hoping that some of you voracious
      > > readers could recommend some additional authors and stories.
      > >
      > > Some aspects that I really like are the well-considered plots,
      > > characters with depth, backstory that is slowly revealed if at all,
      > > and (key for graphic novels) excellent facial expressions and images
      > > that convey the story better than mere words
      > >

      > "Stuff like Sandman" is easier for me than "Stuff like GIrl Genius".
      >
      > Fables? There's a lot to be said for it, even if I have my quibbles
      > after the first long arc.
      >
      > Lucifer (Sandman universe) was very strong.
      >
      > Promethia--Alan Moore, like Sandman it stood in a magical place but
      > still in spitting distance of a superhero universe.
      >
      > There's also the now complete Castle Waiting -- a black and white comic
      > about what happens in fantasy stories after the heroine retires to a
      > friendly place, and before the story resumes 15 years later (only maybe
      > this one never does actually resume; who knows?) It's charming, is told
      > in some very unconventional ways, and is overally very well done.
      >
      > Like Sandman and GG and unlike either is Finder -- by Carla Steed
      > McNeil; a far-future SF comic focusing around a family with a complex
      > set of relationships among them -- and a friend of their family, Jaeger,
      > the epinomous "Finder", who like the family is caught between two
      > contradictory roles. Aside from how well done it is, the author writes
      > pages of endnotes in the print volumes, which explain worldbuilding or
      > character bits that didn't make it into the narrative and bits of
      > process that explain how things turned out as they did--it's -fascinating-.

      I agree with all of the above recommendations. Another excellent webcomic novel with top notch writing, skilled pacing and suberb art is Sarah Ellerton's Phoenix Requiem http://requiem.seraph-inn.com/archives.html.
    • queen_librarian
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

        > On 2/17/2013 1:43 PM, joleenwhite wrote:
        > >

        > "Stuff like Sandman" is easier for me than "Stuff like GIrl Genius".

        > There's also the now complete Castle Waiting -- a black and white comic
        > about what happens in fantasy stories after the heroine retires to a
        > friendly place, and before the story resumes 15 years later (only maybe
        > this one never does actually resume; who knows?) It's charming, is told
        > in some very unconventional ways, and is overally very well done.

        Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know anything about it. I'd love to catch up.
      • cacooke
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "queen_librarian" <queen_librarian@...> wrote:

          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 2/17/2013 1:43 PM, joleenwhite wrote:
          > > >

          > > "Stuff like Sandman" is easier for me than "Stuff like GIrl Genius".

          > > There's also the now complete Castle Waiting -- a black and white comic
          > > about what happens in fantasy stories after the heroine retires to a
          > > friendly place, and before the story resumes 15 years later (only maybe
          > > this one never does actually resume; who knows?) It's charming, is told
          > > in some very unconventional ways, and is overally very well done.

          > Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know anything about it. I'd love to catch up.

          Hate to break it to you Queen Librarian but these were done Old School, i.e print only. Your best bet is the publishers site at http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/castle-waiting.html?vmcchk=1

          I will say that with a nom de guerre like yours you will LLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEE the resolution of this series. You should SO check it out.
        • Joshua Kronengold
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 19, 2013
            On 02/19/2013 02:57 PM, cacooke wrote:
            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "queen_librarian" <queen_librarian@...>
            > wrote:
            >> --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@> wrote:
            >>> There's also the now complete Castle Waiting -- a black and white comic
            >>> about what happens in fantasy stories after the heroine retires to a
            >>> friendly place, and before the story resumes 15 years later (only maybe
            >>> this one never does actually resume; who knows?) It's charming, is told
            >>> in some very unconventional ways, and is overally very well done.
            >>
            >> Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series
            >> but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know
            >> anything about it. I'd love to catch up.
            >>
            > Hate to break it to you Queen Librarian but these were done Old School, i.e
            > print only. Your best bet is the publishers site at
            > http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/castle-waiting.html?vmcchk=1

            Thanks for the link. I went to fg's site, but then got distracted so never
            posted one.

            Looks to me like if one is willing to be a little patient, the best thing is to
            wait for the bound Volume 2 once it comes out this spring.

            --
            Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
            --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:

              > On 02/19/2013 02:57 PM, cacooke wrote:
              > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "queen_librarian" <queen_librarian@>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series
              > >> but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know
              > >> anything about it. I'd love to catch up.
              > >>
              > > Hate to break it to you Queen Librarian but these were done Old School, i.e
              > > print only. Your best bet is the publishers site at
              > > http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/castle-waiting.html?vmcchk=1
              >
              > Thanks for the link. I went to fg's site, but then got distracted so never
              > posted one.
              >
              > Looks to me like if one is willing to be a little patient, the best thing is to
              > wait for the bound Volume 2 once it comes out this spring.
              >

              > --
              > Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
              > --^-- ... patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
              > /\\ domain. OPEN SOURCE." "It's so scary when you say |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
              > /-\\\it like that" -- Howard Taylor (Schlock Mercenary) '---''(_/--' (_/-'

              Thank you both! I'll be putting this on my Watch List (GoodReads says May, so hopefully then)
            • Jon Fetting
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
                On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM, William Ansley <williamansley@...>wrote:

                > On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Eric Green <eric@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "joleenwhite" wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I was wondering if anyone would recommend some additional current
                > > authors of graphic novels with larger stories.
                > >
                > > Gunnerkrigg Court: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/ -- note that there is
                > > significant art evolution between the beginning and the current, so if
                > you
                > > pop back to the beginning and go "ick", look at the current before
                > leaving
                > > it at that.
                > >

                > I will second the recommendation of Gunnerkrigg Court. The art at the
                > beginning is somewhat off putting, and the story starts out like a very
                > simplistic children's tale, but the art improves tremendously and story
                > takes on much greater depth as the work continues. The story is suitable
                > suitable for a younger audience than Girl Genius, but it can be enjoyed by
                > someone who is long past their childhood, such as myself. I am continually
                > impressed with the depth of characterization in Gunnerkrigg Court, which is
                > achieved seemingly effortlessly, with a story that moves from one
                > relatively short (though interrelated) episode to another.
                >
                > --
                > William Ansley
                >

                > One set of Comics that I did not see listed is PS238 by Aaron Williams. It
                is about a school for super kids and what they have to deal with being a
                kid and having superpowers. Yes it can be a bit silly but the writing is
                great and the characters are very memorable. Aaron is currently releasing
                pages for it every Mon,Wed, and Fri on http://ps238.nodwick.com/. If you
                get the 4th trade paper back you can read a great recommendation by Phil
                Foglio.

              • queen_librarian
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Jon Fetting <idiosyncinc@...> wrote:

                  > > One set of Comics that I did not see listed is PS238 by Aaron Williams. It
                  > is about a school for super kids and what they have to deal with being a
                  > kid and having superpowers. Yes it can be a bit silly but the writing is
                  > great and the characters are very memorable. Aaron is currently releasing
                  > pages for it every Mon,Wed, and Fri on http://ps238.nodwick.com/. If you
                  > get the 4th trade paper back you can read a great recommendation by Phil
                  > Foglio.

                  And there are some nods back & forth between the two artists as well. One boy at the school is named Von Fogg and he has a sister named Agatha with big glasses. He wears a rather familiar hat...
                • Daniel W. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013

                    His sister's name is Alexandra: http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=1128

                    > He wears a rather familiar hat...

                    As does his father, Dr. Philippe Von Fogg:
                    http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=404
                    --
                    Daniel W. Johnson
                    panoptes@...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
                      On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Daniel W. Johnson <argus@...> wrote:

                      > On 2013-02-21 13:56, queen_librarian wrote:
                      > > One boy at the school is named Von Fogg and he has a sister named Agatha
                      > > with big glasses.
                      >
                      > His sister's name is Alexandra: http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=1128
                      >
                      > > He wears a rather familiar hat...
                      >
                      > As does his father, Dr. Philippe Von Fogg:
                      > http://ps238.nodwick.com/?p=404

                      The boy's name is Victor. Anyone who doesn't know the names of Phil &
                      Kaja Foglio's children might now be able to take a shrewd guess at
                      them.

                      Meanwhile, there are a couple of nods the other way. Look at:

                      and in the last panel you will see Aaronev Wilhelm Sturmvoraus; have a
                      look at the Wikipedia page for Nodwick, and scroll down to the picture
                      of Aaron Williams, and you might notice a resemblance. On that same
                      page he has a minion named "Artacz" -- one of the characters in
                      _Nodwick_ is a wizard named Artax. Elsewhere in Sturmhalten we
                      encounter a henchman named "Nod".

                      _PS 238_, like Girl Genius, is one of the few titles I bought both in
                      floppy and in collected form. There is no higher recommendation for a
                      book than that I'm willing to spend my money on it twice.

                      While I've got you here, let me recommend Ursula Vernon's _Digger_,
                      the only comic besides _Girl Genius_ to win a Best Graphic Story Hugo.
                      (Both _Watchmen_ and _The Dark Knight Returns_ won Hugos, but they
                      were in different categories.) You can read it online for free at
                      diggercomic.com; it's complete.

                      David Goldfarb
                    • aseachangea
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "queen_librarian" <queen_librarian@...> wrote:

                        [mass snippage]
                        > Castle Waiting is done? Can you post a link, please? I LOVED that series but couldn't get any further updates and then no one seemed to know anything about it. I'd love to catch up.

                        ----

                        Sea Change replies:

                        I've allowed this thread to go, because it was tangentially related to the comic we're reading here. But now this is no longer related.

                        Everyone, please let this thread die, or make a point of connecting it back to Girl Genius.

                        Yours in Science
                        Sea Change
                        Moderator