Re: [Girl Genius] Reasons for Rules

  • quasar973
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

      > If the list can be set up to send out the rules in the
      > intro post, that would be fab.

      On the day I joined this list (December 2011), I received two emails to my newly created Yahoo account. The first was entitled "File - posting guidelines.txt", and contained the posting guidelines. The second, 2 seconds later, was entitled "Yahoo! Groups: Welcome to girlgenius. Visit today!", and contained some standardized information about how to unsubscribe etc. I assumed both messages were automated, and that everybody receives them. -- Quasar
    • joleenwhite
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
        I also got the list rules when I joined last month, so perhaps it is now set to send out to new members?
      • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

          > On 2/8/2013 1:35 PM, gadgetdon@... wrote:
          > > And for my bone fides, yes, I've been on the Internet since CompuServe
          > > (76703,4221) and AOL and bulletin boards before them (props to the
          > > GameMaster's House in Chicago). And I've learned that sometimes things
          > > don't come across as people mean it, so maybe you didn't meant to come
          > > across as condescending to Jim. If so, my apologies.
          >
          > FWIW, I've been on the 'net since anti-deluvian times myself ('91 from
          > CUNY) and BBSes before that. And yeah -- I'd rather have the list rules
          > up front rather than assuming that "everyone" knows you look for the
          > rules for a new place (down a blind corridor, behind a locked door,
          > marked "Beware of the Leopard"), and the last response from
          > nakedkali@... sounded condescending to me as well.

          Ditto here. And I have several yahoogroups - I have two pages of lists, and used to moderate (and own!) several more - that are set up to auto-post the rules and strong suggestions at the beginning of each month. That way the moderators don't have to fool with it and the newbies get informed (and the older members with many groups with different rules get reminded). It is only courtesy, and IMHO sarcasm toward a new person isn't necessary. Goodness knows there is enough stuff coming out of some of the LJ groups to compensate.

          -Steph