Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Reasons for Rules

  • gadgetdon
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
      On Feb 8, 2013, at 10:21 AM, aseachangea <nakedkali@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for your kindness in attempting to follow our guidelines, Jim. Oh golly that is too bad you hadn't seen them before. For most folk, it isn't necessary to send a notice like that. It's one of the (unspoken? not sure why I know this) rules of all email lists, and not just ones like this that you:

      Yeah, clearly everyone knows everything about using mailing lists and if you're not leet and experienced enough to know all about it, what are you doing on the Internet, noob?

      For what it's worth, I would have liked to have gotten that info in the welcome email I got. "Fortunately" I joined when there was a crackdown on rule breaking, so by reading the posts I found out about posting below.

      Yes, moderators are important. I've never been a list moderator, but have been a forum moderator, and I know it's a rough, thankless job. But the most important thing I had to remember is that people came to the site with vastly differing levels of knowledge plus may have participated in other forums with different rules, so getting the key rules out was important. That's easier on a forum (you can sticky posts that have important rules) but still it's a good thing if the rules are out front and presented early rather than hidden like something in a scavenger hunt that any worthy forum member should be able to find. Because, you may find this shocking, I'm in another mailing list where top posting is the norm (unless you are interlineating responses within the quoted area).

      And for my bone fides, yes, I've been on the Internet since CompuServe (76703,4221) and AOL and bulletin boards before them (props to the GameMaster's House in Chicago). And I've learned that sometimes things don't come across as people mean it, so maybe you didn't meant to come across as condescending to Jim. If so, my apologies.
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
        On 2/8/2013 1:35 PM, gadgetdon@... wrote:
        > And for my bone fides, yes, I've been on the Internet since CompuServe
        > (76703,4221) and AOL and bulletin boards before them (props to the
        > GameMaster's House in Chicago). And I've learned that sometimes things
        > don't come across as people mean it, so maybe you didn't meant to come
        > across as condescending to Jim. If so, my apologies.

        FWIW, I've been on the 'net since anti-deluvian times myself ('91 from
        CUNY) and BBSes before that. And yeah -- I'd rather have the list rules
        up front rather than assuming that "everyone" knows you look for the
        rules for a new place (down a blind corridor, behind a locked door,
        marked "Beware of the Leopard"), and the last response from
        nakedkali@... sounded condescending to me as well.
      • quasar973
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

          > If the list can be set up to send out the rules in the
          > intro post, that would be fab.

          On the day I joined this list (December 2011), I received two emails to my newly created Yahoo account. The first was entitled "File - posting guidelines.txt", and contained the posting guidelines. The second, 2 seconds later, was entitled "Yahoo! Groups: Welcome to girlgenius. Visit today!", and contained some standardized information about how to unsubscribe etc. I assumed both messages were automated, and that everybody receives them. -- Quasar
        • joleenwhite
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
            I also got the list rules when I joined last month, so perhaps it is now set to send out to new members?
          • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

              > On 2/8/2013 1:35 PM, gadgetdon@... wrote:
              > > And for my bone fides, yes, I've been on the Internet since CompuServe
              > > (76703,4221) and AOL and bulletin boards before them (props to the
              > > GameMaster's House in Chicago). And I've learned that sometimes things
              > > don't come across as people mean it, so maybe you didn't meant to come
              > > across as condescending to Jim. If so, my apologies.
              >
              > FWIW, I've been on the 'net since anti-deluvian times myself ('91 from
              > CUNY) and BBSes before that. And yeah -- I'd rather have the list rules
              > up front rather than assuming that "everyone" knows you look for the
              > rules for a new place (down a blind corridor, behind a locked door,
              > marked "Beware of the Leopard"), and the last response from
              > nakedkali@... sounded condescending to me as well.

              Ditto here. And I have several yahoogroups - I have two pages of lists, and used to moderate (and own!) several more - that are set up to auto-post the rules and strong suggestions at the beginning of each month. That way the moderators don't have to fool with it and the newbies get informed (and the older members with many groups with different rules get reminded). It is only courtesy, and IMHO sarcasm toward a new person isn't necessary. Goodness knows there is enough stuff coming out of some of the LJ groups to compensate.

              -Steph