Re: Klaus' tale revisited.

  • ravyng
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" wrote:

      > > One character in the story who *doesn't* have an obvious parallel is the giantess.
      >
      > I scratched my head on that one too, and came to the conclusion that the giantess was actually Castle Wulfenbach itself, with all its social structure, and not just von Pinn.

      Maybe. I certainly saw Clemethious Heterodyne as a representation of an abstraction; the long war and the chaos that followed it, but I doubt that the giantess represents Castle Wulfenbach. The prince of the story went into hiding after his father was cursed, and with Klaus wasped, I'd think that the castle would be the *last* place for Gil to hide.

      But now I was reminded of the image of the prince (Gil) being carried off in a giant hand. :)

      I was also puzzled by the reference to "Gradok the Dour". It seemed to serve no purpose in the story.

      Yngvar
    • brendawriter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" wrote:

        > > One character in the story who *doesn't* have an obvious parallel is the giantess.
        >
        > I scratched my head on that one too, and came to the conclusion that the giantess was actually Castle Wulfenbach itself, with all its social structure, and not just von Pinn.

        Perhaps it is Agatha herself --a large authoritative figure who loves the Prince and can keep him safe in her own Castle until he is able to address the wolf/witch situation. Furthermore, the giantess has a copper hairpin -- an electric metaphor. That she is depicted as not especially attractive, maternal rather than a wife, would just indicate that Klaus is not really serious about his son being ready to marry.

        Brenda