Re: Any Bets?

  • tiepilot.geo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Ian Kelly wrote:

      > Gil doesn't need to be wasped, because he's doing exactly what Klaus
      > manipulated him into doing.

      Exactly. Everything about Gil's behavior makes sense without his needing to be wasped or brainwashed if you think of it from the perspective-he knows the city's doomed (he has no idea the Castle's reparable immediately so AFAHK, that's out of it), seeing Agatha deal with a few things in the Castle is not the same as seeing her take on the full might of the Wulfenbach military (not good odds), and he has been given ONE chance, his father says, to do this without her getting killed From his point of view stopping to have a reasoned debate on the subject is not a rational idea. Gil's biggest weakness is he HAS been trained and raised to try and do the right thing, and he IS in love with Agatha, the problem is here he's operating without a lot of important information in circumstances where he doesn't really have time, he thinks, for a fact-finding mission. The Other is really adept at playing people and she's done it again.

      Jennifer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "tiepilot.geo" wrote:
        > Exactly. Everything about Gil's behavior makes sense without his needing to be wasped or brainwashed if you think of it from the perspective-he knows the city's doomed (he has no idea the Castle's reparable immediately so AFAHK, that's out of it), seeing Agatha deal with a few things in the Castle is not the same as seeing her take on the full might of the Wulfenbach military (not good odds), and he has been given ONE chance, his father says, to do this without her getting killed From his point of view stopping to have a reasoned debate on the subject is not a rational idea. Gil's biggest weakness is he HAS been trained and raised to try and do the right thing, and he IS in love with Agatha, the problem is here he's operating without a lot of important information in circumstances where he doesn't really have time, he thinks, for a fact-finding mission. The Other is really adept at playing people and she's done it again.
        >
        > Jennifer

        It seems to me that when Gil acts out of instinct he always does the right thing, but when he tries to do the logical thing he always gets it wrong.

        -Steve
      • Nicky
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "tiepilot.geo" wrote:
          > > Exactly. Everything about Gil's behavior makes sense without his needing to be wasped or brainwashed if you think of it from the perspective-he knows the city's doomed (he has no idea the Castle's reparable immediately so AFAHK, that's out of it), seeing Agatha deal with a few things in the Castle is not the same as seeing her take on the full might of the Wulfenbach military (not good odds), and he has been given ONE chance, his father says, to do this without her getting killed From his point of view stopping to have a reasoned debate on the subject is not a rational idea. Gil's biggest weakness is he HAS been trained and raised to try and do the right thing, and he IS in love with Agatha, the problem is here he's operating without a lot of important information in circumstances where he doesn't really have time, he thinks, for a fact-finding mission. The Other is really adept at playing people and she's done it again.
          > >
          > > Jennifer
          > >

          > It seems to me that when Gil acts out of instinct he always does the right thing, but when he tries to do the logical thing he always gets it wrong.
          >
          > -Steve

          Yup. When this story arc is resolved, and we get some more lighthearted Gil & Agatha time, she's gonna ream him out. I'm really angry at him now on her behalf, but mostly I'm loving her character development: I. am. the. Heterodyne!

          Nicky
        • jsheikg
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
            > It seems to me that when Gil acts out of instinct he always does the right thing, but when he tries to do the logical thing he always gets it wrong.

            At least with respect to Agatha?
            Like Father like Son perhaps?
            It seems to me the elder Wulfenbach may have the same problem.
            Maybe this has been Klaus' blind spot all along.