Re: [Girl Genius] Grammar error?

  • Michael Robert Telford
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
      On 2012-12-30, at 2:00 AM, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks.
      >
      > People are usually quick to notice these kinds of things, so I might
      > be in the wrong (especially since I'm an ESL-reader), but isn't the
      > grammar wrong in the last speech bubble from Friday's update?
      >
      > I've been taught that it's like: "It's her tool - the tool is hers"
      > which would make the correct phrase: "I won't be anyone's tool - her,
      > his or yours!" Right now I'm reading that bubble as "her is", which to
      > me seems completely wrong.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > /Erika

      The last "hers" contains a misplaced apostrophe. It should read "I won't be anyone's tool - hers, his, or yours!"

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...> wrote:
        > I've been taught that it's like: "It's her tool - the tool is hers"
        > which would make the correct phrase: "I won't be anyone's tool - her,
        > his or yours!" Right now I'm reading that bubble as "her is", which to
        > me seems completely wrong.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > /Erika

        Your mostly write.

        Sorry, couldn't help myself. It should be just "hers" with no '. "her, his or yours" would also be wrong.

        -Steve
      • god
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
          On 1/1/2013 08:48, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S. wrote:

          > Your mostly write.
          >
          > Sorry, couldn't help myself. It should be just "hers" with no '. "her, his or yours" would also be wrong.
          >
          > -Steve

          Oh man... is this an opening you just walked into, or what?

          it should be "You'RE mostly RIGHT"...

          sorry, but i couldn't help myself, i just had to... :D
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, god <god@...> wrote:

            > On 1/1/2013 08:48, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S. wrote:
            >
            > > Your mostly write.
            > >
            > > Sorry, couldn't help myself. It should be just "hers" with no '. "her, his or yours" would also be wrong.
            > >
            > > -Steve
            >
            > Oh man... is this an opening you just walked into, or what?
            >
            > it should be "You'RE mostly RIGHT"...
            >
            > sorry, but i couldn't help myself, i just had to... :D

            Nope, it's actually an opening YOU just walked into. Subtle comedy can be awful tricky sometimes.