Re: [Girl Genius] Grammar error?

  • Michael Robert Telford
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
      On 2012-12-30, at 2:00 AM, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks.
      >
      > People are usually quick to notice these kinds of things, so I might
      > be in the wrong (especially since I'm an ESL-reader), but isn't the
      > grammar wrong in the last speech bubble from Friday's update?
      >
      > I've been taught that it's like: "It's her tool - the tool is hers"
      > which would make the correct phrase: "I won't be anyone's tool - her,
      > his or yours!" Right now I'm reading that bubble as "her is", which to
      > me seems completely wrong.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > /Erika

      The last "hers" contains a misplaced apostrophe. It should read "I won't be anyone's tool - hers, his, or yours!"

    • jim_learned
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks.
        >
        > People are usually quick to notice these kinds of things, so I might
        > be in the wrong (especially since I'm an ESL-reader), but isn't the
        > grammar wrong in the last speech bubble from Friday's update?
        >
        > I've been taught that it's like: "It's her tool - the tool is hers"
        > which would make the correct phrase: "I won't be anyone's tool - her,
        > his or yours!" Right now I'm reading that bubble as "her is", which to
        > me seems completely wrong.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > /Erika

        I think the artists' dramatic intent was to use "hers" as in "belonging to Lucrezia." So the correct line would read: "I won't be anyone's tool -- hers, his, or yours!" You're right: there is no such word as "her's" in English. Technically, the correct word would be "she's." But "she's" wouldn't go along with "his" and "yours." A longer version of the quote might say: "I won't belong to Lucrezia, I won't belong to Klaus, and I won't belong to Gil." Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...> wrote:
          > I've been taught that it's like: "It's her tool - the tool is hers"
          > which would make the correct phrase: "I won't be anyone's tool - her,
          > his or yours!" Right now I'm reading that bubble as "her is", which to
          > me seems completely wrong.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >
          > /Erika

          Your mostly write.

          Sorry, couldn't help myself. It should be just "hers" with no '. "her, his or yours" would also be wrong.

          -Steve
        • god
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
            On 1/1/2013 08:48, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S. wrote:

            > Your mostly write.
            >
            > Sorry, couldn't help myself. It should be just "hers" with no '. "her, his or yours" would also be wrong.
            >
            > -Steve

            Oh man... is this an opening you just walked into, or what?

            it should be "You'RE mostly RIGHT"...

            sorry, but i couldn't help myself, i just had to... :D
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, god <god@...> wrote:

              > On 1/1/2013 08:48, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S. wrote:
              >
              > > Your mostly write.
              > >
              > > Sorry, couldn't help myself. It should be just "hers" with no '. "her, his or yours" would also be wrong.
              > >
              > > -Steve
              >
              > Oh man... is this an opening you just walked into, or what?
              >
              > it should be "You'RE mostly RIGHT"...
              >
              > sorry, but i couldn't help myself, i just had to... :D

              Nope, it's actually an opening YOU just walked into. Subtle comedy can be awful tricky sometimes.