Re: Flying?

  • kventin
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012
      and little Moxana brownie goes to Cheryl!

      also, does Franz's spiffy new armor (which bears an uncanny resemblance to certain haughty dragon) play a role in said cheating?

      -- kventin

      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Huttner <lynx412@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I did some quick checking last night. The only *current* character with that style of word balloon is....
      > >
      > > Franz!
      > >
      > > Cheryl, new poster, old fan

    • Edward Rhodes
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012
        and this

        would

        be spoiler

        space

        for those

        who weren't

        up at 4:30

        in the morning

        to read

        Friday's

        chapter.

        *sigh*

        ...and now we have to wait two days to find out what "cheat a little" means!
        I cry "Foul!"

      • Elliott Olson
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012
          Friday, November 30, 2012, 2:18:54 AM, kventin wrote:

          k> also, does Franz's spiffy new armor (which bears an uncanny
          k> resemblance to certain haughty dragon) play a role in said cheating?

          I wonder if we'll find out what kind of cheating he's talking about.
          Hey, if it helps him fly, who cares if he's cheating? Humans cheat
          too.

          --
          Best regards,
          Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012
            Maybe he has a gas propellant ;-p

            Rose Marie

            "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."  Mark Twain

            >________________________________

          • tom_brosz
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2012
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Elliott Olson <ejolson@...> wrote:

              > I wonder if we'll find out what kind of cheating he's talking about.
              > Hey, if it helps him fly, who cares if he's cheating? Humans cheat
              > too.

              All dragons cheat when they fly. Anne McCaffrey's dragons used telekinetic boosting.

              As a side note, almost every aircraft designed by Miyazaki for his movies definitely cheats.
            • otookee
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1 12:45 PM
                Nah, it's just a Nice Hat!
                (It's not a resemblance, it IS the other dragon's head armor - which implies the other dragon is currently without head, or at least unconscious.)

                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kventin" <brano.tichy@...> wrote:

                > also, does Franz's spiffy new armor (which bears an uncanny resemblance to certain haughty dragon) play a role in said cheating?

              • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2 1:47 PM
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@...> wrote:

                  > and this
                  >
                  > would
                  >
                  > be spoiler
                  >
                  > space
                  >
                  > for those
                  >
                  > who weren't
                  >
                  > up at 4:30
                  >
                  > in the morning
                  >
                  > to read
                  >
                  > Friday's
                  >
                  > chapter.
                  >
                  > *sigh*
                  >
                  > ...and now we have to wait two days to find out what "cheat a little" means!
                  > I cry "Foul!"

                  I'm thinking he just jumps, and his little wings give him a little extra hang time.

                  You know, a la "Toy Story."

                  -Steph
                • ravyng
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2 10:10 PM
                    Well, that looked better than I'd feared. :)

                    Yngvar
                  • Edward Rhodes
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 3 1:15 AM
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@...> wrote:

                      > and this
                      >
                      > would
                      >
                      > be spoiler
                      >
                      > space
                      >
                      > for those
                      >
                      > who weren't
                      >
                      > up at 4:30
                      >
                      > in the morning
                      >
                      > to read
                      >
                      > Friday's
                      >
                      > chapter.
                      >
                      > *sigh*
                      >
                      > ...and now we have to wait two days to find out what "cheat a little" means!
                      > I cry "Foul!"

                      I'm thinking he just jumps, and his little wings give him a little extra hang time.

                      You know, a la "Toy Story."

                      -Steph

                      ***
                      Well, THAT turned out to be wrong, didn't it? Franz's "cheater" has to be one of the most wonderfully outrageous things I have ever seen in this strip!

                    • beachrower304
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 3 4:55 AM
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ravyng" <yngfoel@...> wrote:

                        > Well, that looked better than I'd feared. :)
                        >
                        > Yngvar

                        It looks darn good! It's pretty cool that Barry built it too - a nice connection to his personality.
                      • William Ansley
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 3 9:17 AM
                          Exactly where was this large, dragon-powered flying machine stored? Is that
                          door on Franz's chest/abdomen the door to a vault of holding, rather than a
                          furnace?

                          --
                          William Ansley

                        • aseachangea
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 3 12:46 PM
                            "ravyng" wrote:

                            > Well, that looked better than I'd feared. :)
                            >
                            > Yngvar

                            ----

                            I was expecting something fart-powered, so that the ignition from the called lighting would be at the top of the arc. It would set off a beautiful blue methane mushroom cloud.

                            Sea Change, who wonders if that eggbeater is UL-rated.
                          • tom_brosz
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 3 1:12 PM
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ravyng" <yngfoel@...> wrote:

                              > Well, that looked better than I'd feared. :)
                              >
                              > Yngvar

                              "To the Franzmobile!!"
                            • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 5 8:43 PM
                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@...> wrote:

                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@> wrote:
                                >

                                > > and this
                                > >
                                > > would
                                > >
                                > > be spoiler
                                > >
                                > > space
                                > >
                                > > for those
                                > >
                                > > who weren't
                                > >
                                > > up at 4:30
                                > >
                                > > in the morning
                                > >
                                > > to read
                                > >
                                > > Friday's
                                > >
                                > > chapter.
                                > >
                                > > *sigh*
                                > >
                                > > ...and now we have to wait two days to find out what "cheat a little" means!
                                > > I cry "Foul!"
                                > >

                                > I'm thinking he just jumps, and his little wings give him a little extra hang time.
                                >
                                > You know, a la "Toy Story."
                                >
                                > -Steph
                                >
                                > ***
                                > Well, THAT turned out to be wrong, didn't it? Franz's "cheater" has to be one of the most wonderfully outrageous things I have ever seen in this strip!

                                Yah, and was it ever cool to be wrong! Those turbines actually look like some modern stuff I know of - except for how they're powered!

                                -Steph
                                who still thinks a jumpy-thing would have been funny as heck
                              • ravyng
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 5 11:12 PM
                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...> wrote:

                                  > > > and this
                                  > > >
                                  > > > would
                                  > > >
                                  > > > be spoiler
                                  > > >
                                  > > > space
                                  > > >
                                  > > > for those
                                  > > >
                                  > > > who weren't
                                  > > >
                                  > > > up at 4:30
                                  > > >
                                  > > > in the morning
                                  > > >
                                  > > > to read
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Friday's
                                  > > >
                                  > > > chapter.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > *sigh*

                                  > Yah, and was it ever cool to be wrong! Those turbines actually look like some modern stuff I know of - except for how they're powered!
                                  >
                                  > -Steph
                                  > who still thinks a jumpy-thing would have been funny as heck

                                  Unfortunately, I'm very worried now. Franz has been totally awesome for the last pages, first battling the "pretty boy" dragon, and now this. And now he's talking about the past and his loyalty to the Heterodynes. Doesn't this seem a lot like a guy who's about to be killed off? A silly contraption, like a flying fart or some other suggestions I've heard, wouldn't fit.

                                  Of course, I realize that I'm beginning to sound like Harry Potter's Miss Trelawney, having predicted Tarvek's death earlier. Then we *got* a totally awesome battle with the huge hive queen, where I thought this was it, until I realized that it was getting too obvious. Sure enough, Agatha showed up and saved him. It *could* be that the Foglios are planning to throw a fast one again.

                                  But as William Ansley pointed out, it sure looks like they're building up to *some* big event to finish off this volume.

                                  Which means that I still think Tarvek's death is a strong possibility. Did you notice that in the search for a way to fly earlier, there was one thing that nobody mentioned? Tarvek fitted Ol' Vorthang's Sunday Best Armor with rocket boosters.

                                  Isn't it fun to try to second-guess the Foglios? :)

                                  Whatever happens, I think we'd better keep our hankies ready.

                                  Yngvar