Copterblimps! The only way transport huge objects!

  • protonicwombat
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2002
      Good morning everyone,

      So today I went to my bookshelf to pull an arbitrary bit of printed
      material to read as I ate breakfast. I have a stack of Popular
      Science magazines from the 70's and 80's, and so decided to read how
      we were doing 20 years ago. As I flipped through, I found an article
      detailing a most peculiar vehicle. The Copter-blimp. There was a
      beautiful artwork of one of these beasts hauling a large quantity of
      wood. With the headline "New age for airships? Workhorse
      copter-blimp" I scanned the picture in, as well as a later one
      appearing in the article and posted them here in a folder for
      zepplins blimps and airships. This is yet another aircraft that has
      an extremly low feasability, but an incredibly high coolness factor.

      The official name is a "Heli-Stat" and it was designed by "the
      maverick aerospace engineer and businessman" Frank Piasecki. The
      atricle goes on to list many of his achievements, including designing
      and flying the second sucessful helicopter in 1943, and building the
      first sucessful tandem transport helicopter.

      It goes on to talk about how attatching four helicopters to a blimp
      is fairly trivial, but that the main engineering problems come from
      balancing the loads, and syncronizing the controls so that the things
      don't fly in four directions at once. They also question the
      manuverability of such a ship. The article quotes Piasecki as
      shrugging and leaving the question hanging. "Even with 40 years of
      design and engineering experience, he too will have to wait for the
      flight test results." states the article's author.

      If that weren't enough, Piasecki built his entire prototype out of
      Navy surplus parts for minimal cost. (Posted a picture of the initial
      construction too)

      Finally, facing the article is a nice piece on beam weapons. Truly
      this is a sparky magazine! :-D

      ~W
    • brooksindy
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., protonicwombat <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        .... I have a stack of Popular
        > Science magazines from the 70's and 80's, and so decided to read how
        > we were doing 20 years ago. As I flipped through, I found an article
        > detailing a most peculiar vehicle. The Copter-blimp......
        >
        > The official name is a "Heli-Stat" and it was designed by "the
        > maverick aerospace engineer and businessman" Frank Piasecki. .....
        >
        > It goes on to talk about how attatching four helicopters to a blimp
        > is fairly trivial, but that the main engineering problems come from
        > balancing the loads, and syncronizing the controls so that the things
        > don't fly in four directions at once..... The article quotes
        Piasecki as
        > shrugging and leaving the question hanging. "Even with 40 years of
        > design and engineering experience, he too will have to wait for the
        > flight test results."

        Well, I remember the film of the flight test results. Unfortunately,
        the solution to synchronizing the controls didn't work. The crash was
        spectacular, although I think fortunately those aboard escaped serious
        injury. No more funding, project dead.

        -Brooks