Volume 12 is now the longest volume so far

  • William Ansley
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
      As I expected, volume 12 has now officially become the longest Girl Genius
      volume ever. In print, volume 11 had 159 pages devoted to the comic. Volume
      12 will now have at least 161 (the 160 pages actually posted to the web
      site so far, plus a page that will have to be added before the comic can be
      printed, to fix the alignment of the last double-page spread).

      I'm not sure how many more pages this volume will continue, but I wouldn't
      be surprised if it went on for ast least ten more pages, which would mean
      that new pages will keep appearing until at least December 5th, and the
      total page count will reach at least 170.

      I also am confident that this volume will have at least one more
      double-page spread, where we see the result of Agatha zapping Castle
      Heterodyne with a lightening bolt.

      --
      William Ansley

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

        > As I expected, volume 12 has now officially become the longest Girl Genius
        > volume ever. In print, volume 11 had 159 pages devoted to the comic. Volume
        > 12 will now have at least 161 (the 160 pages actually posted to the web
        > site so far, plus a page that will have to be added before the comic can be
        > printed, to fix the alignment of the last double-page spread).
        >
        > I'm not sure how many more pages this volume will continue, but I wouldn't
        > be surprised if it went on for ast least ten more pages, which would mean
        > that new pages will keep appearing until at least December 5th, and the
        > total page count will reach at least 170.

        I talked to Phil Foglio yesterday (at Philcon) and he said that Vol. 12 is going to be huge. He is also sticking to the idea of the entire epic being about 20 vols.

        Brenda
      • mrobinson52
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

          > As I expected, volume 12 has now officially become the longest Girl Genius
          > volume ever. In print, volume 11 had 159 pages devoted to the comic. Volume
          > 12 will now have at least 161 (the 160 pages actually posted to the web
          > site so far, plus a page that will have to be added before the comic can be
          > printed, to fix the alignment of the last double-page spread).
          >
          > I'm not sure how many more pages this volume will continue, but I wouldn't
          > be surprised if it went on for ast least ten more pages, which would mean
          > that new pages will keep appearing until at least December 5th, and the
          > total page count will reach at least 170.
          >
          > I also am confident that this volume will have at least one more
          > double-page spread, where we see the result of Agatha zapping Castle
          > Heterodyne with a lightening bolt.
          >
          > --
          > William Ansley

          Thank you William! I was considering pinging you to ask, as I was noticing the hight page count just yesterday too and wondering how it stacked up to other volumes. It will be interesting to see how long it ends up being. I wonder if we should have a lottery to see who guesses closest to the final count. ;)

          Mary
        • bjherbison
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, brendawriter@... wrote:

            > I talked to Phil Foglio yesterday (at Philcon) and he said that Vol. 12 is going to be huge. He is also sticking to the idea of the entire epic being about 20 vols.

            I predict an exploration of the mad science side of book printing as publishers struggle to deal with the exponentially increasing size of the last few volumes.
          • William Ansley
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
              On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM, <brendawriter@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > [snip] I wouldn't
              > > be surprised if it went on for ast least ten more pages, which would mean
              > > that new pages will keep appearing until at least December 5th, and the
              > > total page count will reach at least 170.
              >
              > I talked to Phil Foglio yesterday (at Philcon) and he said that Vol. 12 is
              > going to be huge. He is also sticking to the idea of the entire epic being
              > about 20 vols.

              Brenda,

              Thank you very much for posting this. I wish I could have been at PhilCon;
              I was planning on going, but I just have too much clean up to do after
              Hurricane Sandy (nothing very serious, thank goodness, we were lucky, but
              still much more Fall yard work than usual).

              Did Phil say whether volume 12 will end before the end of this year? If
              they continue posting pages with no breaks until the very end of December,
              then they will put out (web) page number 181 on December 31, which will
              mean that the printed edition of volume 12 will have at least 182 pages.

              --
              William Ansley

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...> wrote:

                > Did Phil say whether volume 12 will end before the end of this year? If
                > they continue posting pages with no breaks until the very end of December,
                > then they will put out (web) page number 181 on December 31, which will
                > mean that the printed edition of volume 12 will have at least 182 pages.

                He didn't say. However, vol. 12 is only just now become the largest of all the volumes so far. I should think there is plenty of room before it becomes too large to pring and bind.
              • William Ansley
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
                  On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM, <brendawriter@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Ansley <williamansley@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Did Phil say whether volume 12 will end before the end of this year?

                  [snip]

                  > He didn't say. However, vol. 12 is only just now become the largest of all
                  > the volumes so far. I should think there is plenty of room before it
                  > becomes too large to pring and bind.

                  I am not worried that volume 12 will get too big to print and bind, I am
                  just trying to guess exactly how huge "huge" will be. And I am interested
                  in whether the Foglios are going to work through the end of another year
                  (the "holiday season" in the United States) without taking a break. Now
                  that I go back and check, it looks as if they haven't taken a substantial
                  holiday break since the end of volume 8, back in late November 2008 to
                  early January 2009. (I have always wondered exactly how much of a break
                  producing the side stories is. They are creating the same number of color
                  pages on the same schedule, after all. But the Professors call it a break,
                  so we will have to take them at their word.)

                  Fairy Tale Theater Break - Cinderella:

                  I expect that the Professors will take a break after the end of volume 12.
                  In the past I have speculated that they would actually put the comic on
                  hiatus for a few weeks at this point, but based on a reply I got to an
                  email I sent them, they apparently have no intention of doing this. So I
                  think a another side story is coming up some time late this year or early
                  next year.

                  --
                  William Ansley