What is the "Something Else Goink On"

  • gadgetdon@mac.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
      - 7
      - 6
      - 5
      - 4
      - 3
      - 2
      - 1
      GO!

      OK,This is extreme overkill. Who is responsible and why?

      Got three theories, and not really sure which.

      Lucrezia in the clank body. She's clearly a lady who likes a big spectacle, with lots of noise and boom and running around screaming. And if there's any Anevka influence seeping in from the body, well, this would be a great scene for an opera. The goal is to flatten Mechanicsburg and kill everyone inside, take revenge on the Knights of Jove who failed her, and destroy whatever is left of the castle (which as you'll recall scared her silly when it was suggested that Agatha was on her way there).

      Zola a.k.a. Pinky. Same impulse, and she's got even more reason to want everyone and particularly that castle DEAD. Lucrezia just has to worry about revealed to the good guys. Zola has to make sure that Lucrezia doesn't know that she's in control.

      The Baron. If the Baron ordered it, there are devious reasons. One possibility is a self-destruct of the Empire. He's known what the Castle can do for years, even while he was with the Heterodyne Boys, and may believe that the Castle can win. Even without the deus ex machina of the Castle, all the various effects of all the various types of clanks and monsters may interact badly. Why would he want the Empire to self-destruct? The anarchy he returned to, bad as it was, wouldn't be as bad as the Empire under the control of the Other - so by pulling his forces away from everywhere, it's begging for revolutions to start everywhere. He may also think that, as Clank Lucrezia is trying to deal with all the revolutions, she'll be distracted enough he'll be able to take some action. After all, Gil was captured with a subversive book of lab notes on him - surely the Baron would have read them. He may just need a few days uninterrupted in the lab to free himself.

      Or - the biggest distraction play ever. Every eye is now focused on the battlefield. Even the Baron's forces would know this is where things are happening, and surely Lucrezia and Zola are watching with rapt attention as they're about to see a big spectacle and their fondest hopes realized (Castle destroyed, everyone who knows their secrets dead). So what can a devious mind like the Baron do with all that attention on one spot? Well, I always thought that the stupid attacks might be a form of trojan horse, the defeated monsters and clanks being brought into the castle. Perhaps some were playing possum and ready to show their true power, perhaps some are literal trojan horses with forces ready. Or perhaps the Baron is wanting to accomplish something (lab work? Somehow get a message to Boris? free Gil?) that Lucrezia would clearly order him not to do.

      I think I'm going for distraction play, but not sure what. In any case - Agatha, don't get distracted, remember that the Castle needs a spark, give it a big one.
    • tom_brosz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
        One thing for sure, this is going to be spectacular. The Baron has deployed the Giant Air-Floating Ping Pong Ball Brigade.
      • god
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2012
          On 10/22/2012 09:30, gadgetdon@... wrote:

          > Got three theories, and not really sure which.
          >
          > The Baron. If the Baron ordered it, there are devious reasons. One
          > possibility is a self-destruct of the Empire. He's known what the
          > Castle can do for years, even while he was with the Heterodyne Boys,
          > and may believe that the Castle can win. Even without the deus ex
          > machina of the Castle, all the various effects of all the various
          > types of clanks and monsters may interact badly. Why would he want
          > the Empire to self-destruct? The anarchy he returned to, bad as it
          > was, wouldn't be as bad as the Empire under the control of the Other

          > Or - the biggest distraction play ever. Every eye is now focused on
          > the battlefield. Even the Baron's forces would know this is where
          > things are happening, and surely Lucrezia and Zola are watching with
          > rapt attention as they're about to see a big spectacle and their
          > fondest hopes realized (Castle destroyed, everyone who knows their
          > secrets dead). So what can a devious mind like the Baron do with all
          > that attention on one spot? Well, I always thought that the stupid
          > attacks might be a form of trojan horse, the defeated monsters and
          > clanks being brought into the castle. Perhaps some were playing
          > possum and ready to show their true power, perhaps some are literal
          > trojan horses with forces ready. Or perhaps the Baron is wanting to
          > accomplish something (lab work? Somehow get a message to Boris? free
          > Gil?) that Lucrezia would clearly order him not to do.
          >
          > I think I'm going for distraction play, but not sure what. In any
          > case - Agatha, don't get distracted, remember that the Castle needs a
          > spark, give it a big one.

          I'm going for AUDIENCE!!!

          Klaus is playing out the story he told Professor Phil... he's setting it
          up so that EVERY ONE who's Anyone plus ALL his troops, AND the
          Mechanicsburgher's all see him publicly commit political suicide by
          showing that he's under the control of Lucrezia. heck even the STORM is
          playing right into his hands, he is going to use the storm and the
          lightning to kill either himself, or by killing Lunevka,as per the story
          as well... BUT, with him not knowing about Zola and Agatha, plus who
          knows how many other Others there are by now what with Lu
          reprogramming/fixing the Summoning Engine from Sturmholten and the
          Geisterdamen as they snuck out the tunnels... the temporary defeat of
          The Other, will make for a good ongoing villain in future issues...
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 23, 2012
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, gadgetdon@... wrote:
            > The Baron. If the Baron ordered it, there are devious reasons.

            It's probably also to give motivation to Gil to manage the escape. Klaus probably wants him to escape, but can't let him. We know Gil can acomplish anything if properly motivated.

            -Steve
          • sirruthvenmurgatroyd
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2012
> [...]
              >
              > I think I'm going for distraction play, but not sure what. In any case - Agatha, don't get distracted, remember that the Castle needs a spark, give it a big one.

              What is the real reason behind the change in Klaus' (claimed) objective: capturing Agatha rather than killing her?

              Well, if Klaus is consciously aware that another copy of The Other inhabits the Anevka clank, he would have significantly less reason for killing Agatha because he would know that doing so would not destroy The Other (though it would deprive The Other of control of the House of Heterodyne's forces and resources).

              Actually, if Lunevka was ordering Klaus to kill Agatha, that would be an inducement to Klaus to try to avoid doing it, to the extent that he still has any control over his actions and the orders he gives his subordinates.

              But I'm guessing that there's more to it:

              Zola is the person who most wants Agatha dead, because both Agatha AND the copy of The Other in Agatha's head pose dire threats to her. At first glance, one would expect Lunevka to be cooperating in the destruction of Agatha. However, we haven't seen Lunevka or Zola in quite a while, and it occured to me to wonder: What if Lunevka has seen through Zola's impersonation? Then Lunevka would have an incentive to capture Agatha alive, at least long enough to retrieve the information collected by the copy of The Other in Agatha's head.

              Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd
              23rd Baronet of Ruddigore
            • jim_learned
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
> [...]
                >
                > I think I'm going for distraction play, but not sure what. In any case - Agatha, don't get distracted, remember that the Castle needs a spark, give it a big one.

                My theory: The Baron is planning to confront the Other once and for all. Then he would need that big army, DK intact, escaped Gil, and all the rest. The wasp wouldn't matter if he defeats the Other in a final battle. I'm still wondering what Higgs is doing right now...