NOBODY predicted THAT!

  • Joy Beeson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31 4:49 PM
      But it was written in right from the beginning. The very
      best sort of twist!

      --
      Joy Beeson
      http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31 10:36 PM
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joy Beeson <joybeeson@...> wrote:

        > But it was written in right from the beginning. The very
        > best sort of twist!

        Anybody else see a nice T-shirt idea in that last panel?
      • William Ansley
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
          On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM, tom_brosz <tbrosz@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joy Beeson <joybeeson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > But it was written in right from the beginning. The very best sort of
          > twist!
          > >

          > Anybody else see a nice T-shirt idea in that last panel?

          Joy:

          If you are saying that the Foglio's have had this exact scene written out
          from the very beginning, that's not necessarily the case. While they have
          had the basic plot written out since the beginning, they have added many
          details as they have fleshed out the story and this could have been one of
          them.

          Tom:

          Personally, I would like a poster made from the first panel, with the rest
          of Franz and more of the mecha-narwhal drawn in. It would also make a great
          Heterodyne Day card.

          --
          William

        • Joy Beeson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
            On 9/1/12 9:32 AM, William Ansley wrote:

            > If you are saying that the Foglio's have had this exact
            > scene written out from the very beginning, that's not
            > necessarily the case.

            What I meant (and was too lazy to state clearly) is that the
            surprise was composed entirely from elements that were
            already established.

            By contrast with the too-common "Unbeknownst to the villain,
            Horatio's previously-unmentioned great uncle had taught him
            to be an expert horseman."

            --
            Joy Beeson
            http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
            http://www.debeeson.net/LakeCam/LakeCam.html
            west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
            where Isaac has just arrived.
          • Donald Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
              On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Joy Beeson <joybeeson@...> wrote:

              > What I meant (and was too lazy to state clearly) is that the
              > surprise was composed entirely from elements that were
              > already established.
              >
              > By contrast with the too-common "Unbeknownst to the villain,
              > Horatio's previously-unmentioned great uncle had taught him
              > to be an expert horseman."

              So basically, one of those Chekov's guns finally fired ;)
            • ravyng
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

                > So basically, one of those Chekov's guns finally fired ;)

                I wouldn't say that, exactly. Franz has still only been used for jokes. We have yet to see him have any significant role to play in the actual plot.

                Yngvar
              • tom_brosz
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

                  > So basically, one of those Chekov's guns finally fired ;)

                  Well, when you consider this story has about two thousand Chekov's Guns in it, they have to start shooting them off sooner or later. :)
                • mrobinson52
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ravyng" <yngfoel@...> wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > So basically, one of those Chekov's guns finally fired ;)
                    >
                    > I wouldn't say that, exactly. Franz has still only been used for jokes. We have yet to see him have any significant role to play in the actual plot.
                    >
                    > Yngvar

                    Franz actually played a part other than jokes. Remember http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20111223 and http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20111226 ? He is the dispenser of the treasure, and seems to have some relationship to the Doom Bell Ringer. While he delightfully has a lot of comedic characteristics, he also seems to have an important role to play. I hope we see more of him.

                    I also hope we get to go back and see what the kickass Abbess is up to!

                    Mary
                    (Who wishes Joy well in the visit from Issac)