New guess

  • Erika Westberg
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2012
      Right, I have a new guess as to the passengers.

      SpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspace

      That should do it for just about any mail client. Now, to the guess -
      I'm pretty sure it's the students, possibly even the very youngest
      kids. Young soon-to-be-Sparks, ready to be trained and/or moulded.
      That's more dangerous than just about anything else, right?
      /Erika
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2012
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...> wrote:

        > Right, I have a new guess as to the passengers.
        >
        > That should do it for just about any mail client. Now, to the guess -
        > I'm pretty sure it's the students, possibly even the very youngest
        > kids. Young soon-to-be-Sparks, ready to be trained and/or moulded.
        > That's more dangerous than just about anything else, right?
        > /Erika

        The students were all sent home between the time of Agatha's escape and Sturmhalten, especially the littles.
      • mrobinson52
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2012
> [...]
          >
          > That should do it for just about any mail client. Now, to the guess -
          > I'm pretty sure it's the students, possibly even the very youngest
          > kids. Young soon-to-be-Sparks, ready to be trained and/or moulded.
          > That's more dangerous than just about anything else, right?

          The students were under the Baron's protection, so I just cannot see them as a threat to the Empire. My vote is the Circus! Remember, they stole an airship. They were supposed to be headed to England for the protection from Albia, but maybe they were prevented from getting that far.

          Hope we find out Friday!

          Mary
        • Elliott Olson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2012
            Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 1:59:56 AM, Erika wrote:

            EW> Right, I have a new guess as to the passengers.

            EW> SpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspaceSpoilerspace

            EW> That should do it for just about any mail client. Now, to the guess -

            Really? as you can see that was just one long line. Please add some
            returns between (not that the lack of more lines bothered me).

            --
            Best regards,
            Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
            Message 5 of 9 , May 31, 2012
              > EW> That should do it for just about any mail client. Now, to the guess -
              >
              > Really? as you can see that was just one long line. Please add some
              > returns between (not that the lack of more lines bothered me).
              >
              > --
              > Best regards,
              > Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
              >
              > Aw, and here I figured the amount of characters was the important thing...
              *facepalm* Sorry.
              /Erika

            • William Ansley
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2012
                On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Erika Westberg <erika.westberg@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
                > >
                > > Aw, and here I figured the amount of characters was the important
                > thing...
                > *facepalm* Sorry.
                > /Erika

                This list is "spoiler space happy". Why in the world do we need spoiler
                space for *people's guesses* about what is going to happen next? I really
                don't see why spoiler space is even necessary for comments that actually
                give away things about the the current page of the comic; it is really too
                much to ask that people don't read the clearly marked messages from this
                list until after they have read the single new page of Girl Genius each
                Monday, Wednesday, and Friday? And I am not even mentioning the people who
                quote spoiler space, or comment about spoiler space. (Admittedly, I am
                guilty of the latter, myself, in this message.) Please only use spoiler
                space when it is necessary; when you are actually mentioning something
                important that hasn't been revealed before.

                Thank you,
                William Ansley

              • Joseph Cotton
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2012
                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31, 2012
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cotton <sylvaton@...> wrote:

                    > I've said before (when this discussion has come up) that I personally only care about spoiler space when people have gotten to the comic ahead of the "official" release. Otherwise, I tend to echo William in saying that anyone who reads the mailing list first before reading the comic is pretty much asking for spoilers.

                    I don't know about you, but my email instantly appears on my cellphone. Getting on the web usually takes longer.

                    > Also, your prediction isn't really a "spoiler" as such. If someone takes umbrage because your guess was right and that spoiled the surprise for them... well, IMHO they're reading the wrong list. :)

                    I can agree with that. However, if the speculation is based on details from today's strip, they could still count as spoilers.

                    I first learned about spoiler space 20 years ago. Of course, back then we had terminals with fixed screen sizes, and were discussing physical comics we had to buy in the store. It is possible that the need for spoiler space has changed since then.

                    Yngvar
                  • William Ansley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
                      On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM, ravyng <yngfoel@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cotton <sylvaton@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I've said before (when this discussion has come up) that I personally
                      > only care about spoiler space when people have gotten to the comic ahead of
                      > the "official" release. Otherwise, I tend to echo William in saying that
                      > anyone who reads the mailing list first before reading the comic is pretty
                      > much asking for spoilers.
                      >
                      > I don't know about you, but my email instantly appears on my cellphone.
                      > Getting on the web usually takes longer.

                      Is it asking too much for you to not read the messages with subject lines
                      starting with [Girl Genius] until after you have had time to read the
                      comic? I'm serious. This seems reasonable to me but perhaps I am
                      overlooking something about the way some mail clients work, especially on
                      mobile devices.

                      > > Also, your prediction isn't really a "spoiler" as such. If someone takes
                      > umbrage because your guess was right and that spoiled the surprise for
                      > them... well, IMHO they're reading the wrong list. :)
                      >
                      > I can agree with that. However, if the speculation is based on details
                      > from today's strip, they could still count as spoilers.
                      >
                      > I first learned about spoiler space 20 years ago. Of course, back then we
                      > had terminals with fixed screen sizes, and were discussing physical comics
                      > we had to buy in the store. It is possible that the need for spoiler space
                      > has changed since then.

                      I think the need for spoiler space has has definitely changed. I have known
                      about spoiler space for at least as long as you have, but the discussion
                      groups back then, whether they were mailing lists, BBSes, Usenet, or what
                      have you, usually were more general than the discussion of a single comic.
                      And the works being discussed were almost always dead tree publications.
                      This meant that it was very likely that some people who were participating
                      in the discussion group may not have read any given work that was under
                      discussion, either because it was impossible to read everything in even a
                      moderately wide category, such as all X-men comics, or certain issues were
                      hard to find, at least in certain locations. And, of course, some
                      people participating in the group may not have had the wherewithal to buy
                      some of the comics under discussion.

                      But this group discusses a single comic which is published for free online,
                      at the rate of one page a day, three days a week. So everyone who is able
                      to participate in the discussion group and is caught up with the comic
                      should have no problem being able to read the current page the day it is
                      published. If someone is too busy too do so then they probably should be
                      too busy to participate in the discussion group as well.

                      --
                      William Ansley