Re: [Girl Genius] Re: 09 April strip no spoilers

  • Mary Lumsden
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9, 2012
      This seems to be a great case of layers upon layers of intrigue.

      What the Baron says - the others on the ship will believe.
      As Gil wasnt around when the Baron was doing the first sweep against
      Reverants - it cant be proven that he wasnt previously wasped. And if Gill
      is already wapsed - there is no reason to have him get wasped again.
      Bang being under medical treatment and poisioned also is perfect cover -
      why waste a wasp on someone who is dying?

      Thus the Baron is reducing the threat level that Gil presents to
      Lu-Anvenka.
      Remember she will use the Baron as a tool.

      I think we would also be wise to keep track of all bolded words that the
      Baron utters. It ll be a code that Gil will decipher soon enough (thats my
      opinon)

      Besides, its easy for the Baron to rail again Struv. I mean they are
      responsible for the mess that both he and Agatha are in. Also, he doesnt
      trust Agatha and this fits nicely in with Lu-Anvenka not wanting any
      competitors.

      Meanwhile, I am hoping Zola gets killed off and that its not a quick death.
      She has caused too many un-necessary deaths and trouble to be allowed to
      live.

      Good thing is while this is all going on Agatha has been fixing the
      lightning guns and showing the rest how to do it and didnt slack off when
      she got those great walls.

      Im just wondering how they ll fix the Baron.

      Dr. Ter'an Humor.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...> wrote:

        > Still sitting here with jaw dropped.....
        >
        > Didn't expect that at all.

        I'm really worried about Bang. The wierd thing is that I somehow missed the page where she drinks the antidote. Somebody on the list made a reference to it and I had to go back and look and found a whole page I missed. Can't think what I was doing that day, but that was a big plot point to overlook.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...> wrote:
          > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.

          I think it needs to be a very stern command. Tarvek and Anevka went to a lot of trouble to isolate Agatha's "command harmonics." If the control worked using anything less, they wouldn't need to do that.

          -Steve
        • jsheikg
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
            >As for Bang being poisoned, that is just another cover...or at most the last lingering side effects of the anti-wasp elixir.

            Alternatively her "poisoning" is the result of a working elixir successfully rejecting a wasping.
          • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...> wrote:

              > > If somebody here could name an instance where Agatha actually commanded
              > > Gil and he complied without wanting to it could mean that this wasping
              > > is faked, but right now I can't think of a time when this happened.
              >
              > What about this?
              >
              > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040716
              >
              > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.
              >
              > This other one is puzzling instead, given the new version of the facts:
              >
              > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100312
              >
              > Paolo

              The second one is, I think, the response of a young man in love being taken to task by his beloved. "Don't you dare die on me!" giving him a reason, actually, to keep going - because he now knows, in some sense, that she cares.

              As for more recent developments, I was wondering...

              What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?

              -Steph
            • Joy Beeson
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 11, 2012
                On 4/10/12 4:11 PM, DARRELLSTEPHANIE wrote:

                > What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?

                I think somebody did.

                --
                Joy Beeson
                http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...> wrote:
                  > What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?

                  Would a slaver wasp try to take over anything that wasn't humanoid? Do they just fly into any open mouth they can find or would they avoid the weasels? If you could infect a weasel, I guess it would depend on the intellegence of the weasel what the result would be. If they don't understand human speach it wouldn't help to give them an order would it? You'd have to train it just like you would if it weren't infected.

                  -Steve
                • William Ansley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                    On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S. <rewastev@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?
                    > >

                    > Would a slaver wasp try to take over anything that wasn't humanoid? Do
                    > they just fly into any open mouth they can find or would they avoid the
                    > weasels? If you could infect a weasel, I guess it would depend on the
                    > intellegence of the weasel what the result would be. If they don't
                    > understand human speach it wouldn't help to give them an order would it?
                    > You'd have to train it just like you would if it weren't infected.

                    Yes, I agree. It seems to me it would be pointless to wasp a weasel. (This
                    conversation is leading us to use some rather extraordinary phrases with a
                    straight face. "Wasping the weasel. Not as painful as it sounds.")
                    Presumably some training is involved in making them react to the smell of
                    revenants. If so, they could be trained to snarl at a different sensory
                    cue. If the reaction is entirely instinctual, then presumably this strain
                    of weasels had to be bred or genetically engineered to have the reaction.
                    If so, then could be genetically rejiggered. We don't know what role the
                    mechanical implants have in their ability to sniff out revenants; perhaps
                    tinkering with the implant will change the weasel's respond.

                    I currently am supporting the theory that the "wasp" weasel that reacted to
                    Gil has been trained/bred/engineered/programmed to react only to subtle
                    cues from the person holding it; the whole thing was staged to create a
                    reason to imprison Gil.

                    --
                    William Ansley

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

                      > On Apr 9, 2012, at 11:05 AM, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > >> If somebody here could name an instance where Agatha actually commanded
                      > >> Gil and he complied without wanting to it could mean that this wasping
                      > >> is faked, but right now I can't think of a time when this happened.
                      > >
                      > > What about this?
                      > >
                      > > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040716
                      > >
                      > > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.
                      >
                      > Actually. I'd say that argued against wasping. Agatha said, get me off this ship, and Gil didn't act to get her out of there.

                      Yes, indeed. I meant to show a counter-example against the hypothesis of a wasped Gil. On the other hand, Agatha commanding him to stay alive is a pro-example.

                      Paolo