Re: [Girl Genius] Re: 09 April strip no spoilers

  • William Ansley
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9, 2012
      On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On Apr 9, 2012, at 11:05 AM, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > >> If somebody here could name an instance where Agatha actually commanded
      > >> Gil and he complied without wanting to it could mean that this wasping
      > >> is faked, but right now I can't think of a time when this happened.
      > >
      > > What about this?
      > >
      > > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040716
      > >
      > > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.
      >
      > Actually. I'd say that argued against wasping. Agatha said, get me off
      > this ship, and Gil didn't act to get her out of there.

      And there's also this: Agatha gave an order to Gil in Castle Heterodyne
      that he never obeyed, when she told him, "I need you to get yourself and
      Tarvek somewhere *safe* - away from the Castle."

      Perhaps this doesn't count as a direct order, but it is certainly much more
      direct that when Agatha asks Mr. Rovainen, "Don't you have something you
      should be doing?" and he interprets that as an order to activate the hive
      engine.

      So if Gil could disregard this order from Agatha, it seems that he wasn't
      wasped in Castle Heterodyne, at least not by a wasp that Agatha could
      control.

      --
      William Ansley

    • Mary Lumsden
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2012
        This seems to be a great case of layers upon layers of intrigue.

        What the Baron says - the others on the ship will believe.
        As Gil wasnt around when the Baron was doing the first sweep against
        Reverants - it cant be proven that he wasnt previously wasped. And if Gill
        is already wapsed - there is no reason to have him get wasped again.
        Bang being under medical treatment and poisioned also is perfect cover -
        why waste a wasp on someone who is dying?

        Thus the Baron is reducing the threat level that Gil presents to
        Lu-Anvenka.
        Remember she will use the Baron as a tool.

        I think we would also be wise to keep track of all bolded words that the
        Baron utters. It ll be a code that Gil will decipher soon enough (thats my
        opinon)

        Besides, its easy for the Baron to rail again Struv. I mean they are
        responsible for the mess that both he and Agatha are in. Also, he doesnt
        trust Agatha and this fits nicely in with Lu-Anvenka not wanting any
        competitors.

        Meanwhile, I am hoping Zola gets killed off and that its not a quick death.
        She has caused too many un-necessary deaths and trouble to be allowed to
        live.

        Good thing is while this is all going on Agatha has been fixing the
        lightning guns and showing the rest how to do it and didnt slack off when
        she got those great walls.

        Im just wondering how they ll fix the Baron.

        Dr. Ter'an Humor.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...> wrote:

          > Still sitting here with jaw dropped.....
          >
          > Didn't expect that at all.

          I'm really worried about Bang. The wierd thing is that I somehow missed the page where she drinks the antidote. Somebody on the list made a reference to it and I had to go back and look and found a whole page I missed. Can't think what I was doing that day, but that was a big plot point to overlook.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...> wrote:
            > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.

            I think it needs to be a very stern command. Tarvek and Anevka went to a lot of trouble to isolate Agatha's "command harmonics." If the control worked using anything less, they wouldn't need to do that.

            -Steve
          • jsheikg
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
              >As for Bang being poisoned, that is just another cover...or at most the last lingering side effects of the anti-wasp elixir.

              Alternatively her "poisoning" is the result of a working elixir successfully rejecting a wasping.
            • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 10, 2012
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...> wrote:

                > > If somebody here could name an instance where Agatha actually commanded
                > > Gil and he complied without wanting to it could mean that this wasping
                > > is faked, but right now I can't think of a time when this happened.
                >
                > What about this?
                >
                > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040716
                >
                > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.
                >
                > This other one is puzzling instead, given the new version of the facts:
                >
                > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100312
                >
                > Paolo

                The second one is, I think, the response of a young man in love being taken to task by his beloved. "Don't you dare die on me!" giving him a reason, actually, to keep going - because he now knows, in some sense, that she cares.

                As for more recent developments, I was wondering...

                What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?

                -Steph
              • Joy Beeson
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11, 2012
                  On 4/10/12 4:11 PM, DARRELLSTEPHANIE wrote:

                  > What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?

                  I think somebody did.

                  --
                  Joy Beeson
                  http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...> wrote:
                    > What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?

                    Would a slaver wasp try to take over anything that wasn't humanoid? Do they just fly into any open mouth they can find or would they avoid the weasels? If you could infect a weasel, I guess it would depend on the intellegence of the weasel what the result would be. If they don't understand human speach it wouldn't help to give them an order would it? You'd have to train it just like you would if it weren't infected.

                    -Steve
                  • William Ansley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                      On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Steven Paul Rewa, M.S. <rewastev@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > What would happen if somebody wasped the weasels?
                      > >

                      > Would a slaver wasp try to take over anything that wasn't humanoid? Do
                      > they just fly into any open mouth they can find or would they avoid the
                      > weasels? If you could infect a weasel, I guess it would depend on the
                      > intellegence of the weasel what the result would be. If they don't
                      > understand human speach it wouldn't help to give them an order would it?
                      > You'd have to train it just like you would if it weren't infected.

                      Yes, I agree. It seems to me it would be pointless to wasp a weasel. (This
                      conversation is leading us to use some rather extraordinary phrases with a
                      straight face. "Wasping the weasel. Not as painful as it sounds.")
                      Presumably some training is involved in making them react to the smell of
                      revenants. If so, they could be trained to snarl at a different sensory
                      cue. If the reaction is entirely instinctual, then presumably this strain
                      of weasels had to be bred or genetically engineered to have the reaction.
                      If so, then could be genetically rejiggered. We don't know what role the
                      mechanical implants have in their ability to sniff out revenants; perhaps
                      tinkering with the implant will change the weasel's respond.

                      I currently am supporting the theory that the "wasp" weasel that reacted to
                      Gil has been trained/bred/engineered/programmed to react only to subtle
                      cues from the person holding it; the whole thing was staged to create a
                      reason to imprison Gil.

                      --
                      William Ansley

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 12, 2012
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

                        > On Apr 9, 2012, at 11:05 AM, "p.bernardi@..." <p.bernardi@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > >> If somebody here could name an instance where Agatha actually commanded
                        > >> Gil and he complied without wanting to it could mean that this wasping
                        > >> is faked, but right now I can't think of a time when this happened.
                        > >
                        > > What about this?
                        > >
                        > > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040716
                        > >
                        > > Not a very stern command, but a command nonetheless.
                        >
                        > Actually. I'd say that argued against wasping. Agatha said, get me off this ship, and Gil didn't act to get her out of there.

                        Yes, indeed. I meant to show a counter-example against the hypothesis of a wasped Gil. On the other hand, Agatha commanding him to stay alive is a pro-example.

                        Paolo