Re: [Girl Genius] Re: The Baron

  • Mary Lumsden
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 29, 2012
      On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM, jsheikg <jsheikg@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040112

      What? Its called effective management. The council was just being petty
      cause another town got a university. The Baron offered to finance their
      project to help soothe their ego.
      However he wanst going to put up with the silly petty hold out games.
      If they did that , they d face a consequence.

      There is also mention in the first book, that the Baron sends the kids
      being raised on Castle W back home to help with the harvests which
      scandalized the parents..

      Baron is handling things on multi levels.
      1. Deal with the petty nonsense of the current ppl
      2. Set it up to train the younger group in better methods and ways of
      cooperating.

      I dont see that as evil

    • tiepilot.geo
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3, 2012
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@...> wrote:

        > And while Albia may indeed be an absolute ruler that is not to say she doesn't allow her subjects, including the nobility, to rule themselves for the more mundane purposes of securing the rights of life, liberty, and property among themselves.
        > Magna Carta may simply apply to everyone but Albia.

        Or may not exist. We still don't know 100% WHO Albia is or at what point she essentially became England (heck, I've never gotten a clear answer about what "England" entails--Wooster also uses the term "British" at least once IIRC, which implies more than the political/geographic entity England, but how much is under water? Does that include Scotland?) Also, securing means something very different in a society that's wholly or in part under water and it would take very little to cause mass death and destruction. Also a good deal of the British class structure came from *land* ownership--even if there are parts above water (and there almost have to be or they're at serious risk of being dependent on imported food, cloth, etc.) they're at a serious premium. So the entire socio-cultural system that essentially made modern governments like the United States and the Commonwealth countries possible has undergone a huge transformation.

        > Then we have other indirect evidence in the form of Wooster.
        > Here is a man playing the role of a gentleman's gentleman to the hilt, so he must have had a role model, and it certainly was not a groveling sycophant like Tarvek's Falco.
        >
        > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20051031
        >
        > Wooster carried the dignity of a free man who serves, and serves very well indeed thank you very much, because it's what he paid to do and he's proud of his work.

        Eh....Wooster is good evidence that Albia's subjects aren't all robots under mind-control, but I would be careful about using his behavior as a 'gentleman's gentleman' as evidence of anything other than he has a pretty good idea how to relate to Gil. Remember, he isn't a valet. He's a spy, meaning his personality undercover is whatever he feels is necessary. Gil simply isn't the personality type to tolerate cringing sycophants--we've seen it in how he deals with everyone. Someone hoping to work with him would have to learn very quickly (or know already) that the fawning obsequious schtick won't fly for long. Gil isn't going to put up with a sniveling yes-man, so Wooster isn't one. He could HATE everything he has to do on the Castle, but that can't show. And as he doesn't seem to realize his cover was compromised apparently from the get-go he seems to have done a good job at presenting the front needed. (I assume that Gil and quite possibly Klaus have always known who and what Wooster is but keep the knowledge on a need-to-know basis to avoid tipping HIM off.)

        That said, I think we can guess a little about Wooster's "real" personality, or at least semi-off-the-clock personality, in how he acts after he reaches Sturmhalten. And it does suggest someone who's not afraid of voicing his opinion or who's used to crawling before authority. This does *suggest* Gil's comments about Albia's iron grip aren't accurate, but again, we're talking about the GG version of MI-6. We can't draw TOO many conclusions about the general British population based on one person who's specifically trained to be a good actor and liar.

        Jennifer