Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Friday strips

  • Alice Bentley
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 3, 2011
      On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM, ravyng <yngfoel@...> wrote:

      > Anyway, I was asking because Steven wrote: "Slepnir look way, way to
      > happy" regarding this page:
      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20111021 where I can't see
      > her face at all, since she's too far back. That made me wonder if Steven
      > had access to a higher resolution page *now*, not when it sees print.

      My guess is that he wasn't going primarily on her facial expression
      (which, indeed, we can barely see) but with her general body position (arm
      extended, leaning forward) and her word balloon. "Whoo! Yeah!" (with spiky
      outlines no less) shows not just surprise but enthusiasm.

      Re: Girl Genius at different resolutions: the online pages are at 72 dpi (I
      think) which matches the resolution of a majority of monitors and produces
      a reasonable file size. Even though higher resolution monitors are now
      becoming available (iPhone 4 I'm looking at you), I doubt they will choose
      to change the online resolution because the server loads would rise
      substantially.

      The pdfs for sale through DriveThruComics.com are about 180 dpi (going by
      memory, but I know it's more than double) while the printed books are
      anywhere from 300 to 600 dpi depending on the printer and the needs of a
      page. Of course, neither the pdf or the printed book are available until
      long after the page has shown up on the net.

      Alice

    • ravyng
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 6, 2011
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph H" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

        > First things first: "Welcome to the group. Here, drink this!"

        Thanks. :) I haven't been on a comics based mailing list since the Elfquest list died ten years ago or so. I was very active there (partly because I was unemployed at the time). I discovered the Girl Genius web page a month ago or so, was caught up a few weeks ago, and then discovered this.

        Glug, glug.

        Bwoah!

        Was that supposed to happen?

        > Second: that's Slepnir who is saying, "Whoo! YEAH!" on the FUN-MADD on the right of the panel - and she's shooting *her* big zappy gun. So you could tell without blowing up the picture that she's having WAY too much fun with all this.

        Well, I suppose I focused too much on the fact that the original message said that she *looked* happy, as opposed to acted or shouted. I'll leave it now.

        I suppose that I should warn you that I tend to take things very literally. :)

        Yngvar