Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Weds. Comic

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2011
      On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:47 PM, tom_brosz <tbrosz@...> wrote:

      > Aw, c'mon. "Locus" has won Best SemiProzine 21 out of the last 25 awards, and nobody thinks that category isn't "viable."

      Actually, there's been quite a bit of discussion about reforming or
      even eliminating that category.

      David Goldfarb
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
        On 08/31/2011 10:49 PM, tom_brosz wrote:
        > Phil already has a couple of "Best Fan Artist" Hugos under his belt.

        Well, yes; he was a fan artist before he was a pro artist.

        Actually, Best Pro Artist would be eminently appropriate, and I think
        the category could use some shaking up.
      • Joshua Kronengold
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
          On 08/31/2011 10:55 PM, David Goldfarb wrote:
          > On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:47 PM, tom_brosz <tbrosz@...
          > <mailto:tbrosz%40ionix.net>> wrote:
          > >
          > > Aw, c'mon. "Locus" has won Best SemiProzine 21 out of the last 25
          > awards, and nobody thinks that category isn't "viable."
          >
          > Actually, there's been quite a bit of discussion about reforming or
          > even eliminating that category.

          Indeed. Not just discussion--the Austrialian Worldcon WSFS voted to
          eliminate the category three years ago; two years ago this failed to be
          ratified, but a committee was formed to try to fix the category; this
          year the recommendations made by the committee were voted in as WSFS
          constitutional ammendments (with a last minute amendment that also
          separates podcasts from fanzines and also contains changes that might
          disallow blogs from recieving fanzine hugos) (it's possible for next
          years committee to ratify the overall ammendment while rejecting one or
          both of these provisions, and it's to be hoped that the extra wording
          that removes the "other media" provision for fanzines and adds a
          requirement that they be periodicals will be removed prior to ratification.

          I'm guessing this will be one of two big fights at next Worldcon (in
          Chicago -- along with the question of whether the Best Graphic Novel
          hugo is allowed to sunset (I'd rather not).
        • tom_brosz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
            Thanks for the info! That was all news to me.
          • Edward Rhodes
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011
              See if this link works. It should send you to my kid's Deviantart page where he
              put together a mashup of Agatha and Gadget from "Rescue Rangers."

              http://lensman1955.deviantart.com/#/d217lpk