Re: Yea! A story! -- Maybe Spoilers?

  • uncleop22
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2011
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@...> wrote:
      > A giant wolf that shoots lightning from his mouth and the girl
      > rides the back of the wolf.

      The first thing I thought of was Jenka and Fust.

      > The wolf signifies Klaus' family. And the similar sound to
      > "Wolf-on-back." Though if I google searched as accurately as
      > I hoped, Bach is German for stream or creek, rivulet, & other
      > small waterways.
      >
      > Perhaps the Wolf will be restored near or by a brook that became
      > the Wulfenbach ancestral home.

      Or by the River Dyne? Sounds like we're talking some old history here.
    • Antje Bendrich
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2011
        Hallo kytross,

        kytross schrieb am 09.05.2011 (09:57):

        > A giant wolf that shoots lightning from his mouth and the girl rides the back of the wolf.
        >
        > The wolf signifies Klaus' family. And the similar sound to "Wolf-on-back." Though if I google
        > searched as accurately as I hoped, Bach is German for stream or creek, rivulet, & other small
        > waterways.

        You googled correctly :)

        Also, the similarity won't work if you pronounce Wulfenbach in German.

        That would sound more like "Voolf'nbuX", where the oo in "Vool" is short like
        in "put" or "hook", and the u in buX sounds like "puppy" or "up".

        The X at the end is almost impossible for English speakers. Try saying "uck"
        but drifting into some exhaling snore instead ;) Oder just listen to the example at
        http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bach. Now you also know how the pronounce the
        name of Johann Sebastian Bach. Handy, isn't it?

        Antje

        --
        Two things that are essential to life is WD 40 and duct tape. If it
        moves and it isn't supposed to use the duct tape. If it doesn't move
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2011
          On 5/9/11 3:36 PM, Antje Bendrich wrote:

          > The X at the end is almost impossible for English
          > speakers.

          Way back when, I was late for German class, ran across
          campus, ran up the steps, and reached my seat just as my
          name came up in the roll call.

          It's the only time in my life that I ever pronounced "Ich
          bin hier" correctly.

          --
          Joy Beeson
          http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2011
            Antje Bendrich writes:
            >The X at the end is almost impossible for English speakers. Try saying "uck"
            >but drifting into some exhaling snore instead ;)

            Eh -- maybe for the goyim. Those of us who grew up learning to
            pronounce (if not understand) Hebrew can usually manage it, even if we
            are technically monolingual. Roughly the same "Ch" as in "Chanuka",
            "Baruch" (blessed), and "Brucha" (blessing).

            --
            Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the tera- |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
            --^--port patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
            Message 5 of 13 , May 10, 2011
              Hallo Joshua,

              Joshua Kronengold schrieb am 09.05.2011 (16:24):
              > Antje Bendrich writes:
              > >The X at the end is almost impossible for English speakers. Try saying "uck"
              > >but drifting into some exhaling snore instead ;)
              >
              > Eh -- maybe for the goyim. Those of us who grew up learning to
              > pronounce (if not understand) Hebrew can usually manage it, even if we
              > are technically monolingual. Roughly the same "Ch" as in "Chanuka",
              > "Baruch" (blessed), and "Brucha" (blessing).

              Ah yes, these are far better examples of the sound!

              Antje

              --
              Here is Edward Bear coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his
              head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of