Re: " --so how are you any better?" --- Its the beer

  • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2011
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Clark, Roger" <clarkr@...> wrote:

      > OMG! The mind controlling beer has penetrated even into this group! Steph, I implore you! The only remedy is for you to down a six pack of Löwenbräu immediately! ;-)
      >
      > Roger

      Grrrrr.....

      -Steph
      who is po'ed enough after being out of power, and on rationed water, gas, and sewage, since the bloody $%^$%!!! tornado outbreak (but is thankful that me and mine came through it safely)
    • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2011
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Quail <tiepilot.geo@...> wrote:

> [...]

        If I had to make a guess, I'm thinking that - since this is an alternate universe - maybe there is a large Amerind culture led by sparks that is keeping the Americas insular. After all, we have the Maya, Aztek, Inca, and Anasazi peoples who all produced some pretty impressive (and to this day, unexplainable) architecture and science. (The Mayan calendar, never mind the 2012 stuff, is more accurate than our own.)

        Throw into that the likelihood that the Europeans of GG did reach the Americas, possibly producing an effect similar to the actual history, e.g. pandemics that wiped out whole villages due to a lack of immunity, and one can see that, while they might have brought home some plants to add to the botanical gardens and various cuisines, going back to the Americas after that might prove a bit...dangerous.

        Heck, if I were the sparky Mayan ruler, I think I would definitely come up with some sort of area defense system that would put paid to any airship or seafaring ship that approached my shores.

        -Steph
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2011
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...> wrote:
          > > I don't think it's implied they just don't WANT to go to America--the Secret Blueprints (again, fwiw) pretty much say it's IMPOSSIBLE to get there--
          > >
          > Throw into that the likelihood that the Europeans of GG did reach the Americas, possibly producing an effect similar to the actual history, e.g. pandemics that wiped out whole villages due to a lack of immunity, and one can see that, while they might have brought home some plants to add to the botanical gardens and various cuisines, going back to the Americas after that might prove a bit...dangerous.

          I can't remember where it was written, but it's been so long since anyone's been there that people have started to think the America's never existed in the first place and the whole thing was made up. I think it might actually have been in the extra stuff at the end of the original comic issues. Might have been with Prof. Vogel's proposals to reach America. You know, it's a shame none of that stuff has made its way into the collections or the web page. That was funny stuff.

          -Steve
        • brendawriter@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2011
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...> wrote:

            > Heck, if I were the sparky Mayan ruler, I think I would definitely come up with some sort of area defense system that would put paid to any airship or seafaring ship that approached my shores.
            >
            > -Steph

            When I saw SQUANTO, a movie which came out some years ago, my thought was that the title character had been totally mistaken. He made friends with the Pilgrims and helped them to stay in Massachusetts, in the film; if he had been able to see the future he'd have helped the other Indians shove them back onto the Mayflower and push them out to sea.

            Brenda
          • Jennifer Quail
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2011
              \

              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@...> wrote:

              When I saw SQUANTO, a movie which came out some years ago, my thought was that the title character had been totally mistaken. He made friends with the Pilgrims and helped them to stay in Massachusetts, in the film; if he had been able to see the future he'd have helped the other Indians shove them back onto the Mayflower and push them out to sea.

              Brenda

              Considering the Spanish, French, and even English had already been there for years (and not a few of the Aztec's neighbors were THRILLED to meet the Spanish, considering they were sick of being enslaved and sacrificed by their very-not-beneficent overlords) that would have been rather closing the barn door long after the horses bolted.

              Depending on who had the Spark and and who didn't (the Mayan were long gone, for example) the entire history of the Americas might have been very different--the people were butchering each other long before Europeans arrived, European tech just  made it a lot easier.  What if the Mound Builders turned out to be the mad geniuses of prehistory?   Or, God help the Anishnabeg, the Iroquois confederacy?   The pre-Colombian Americas were pretty violent places already, and in GG's world it might be they didn't need to wait around for the Europeans to give them better weapons...

              Heck, Asia obviously has a lot more contact with Europe (assuming this is set when it appears to be) for longer than in our world, suggesting neither China nor Japan went the insular route as in reality.  Maybe China's using the North American continent for an experimental proving grounds and worked out a way to keep people out?

              Jennifer (who just remembered mimmoths...what if their REALLY BIG COUSINS still live in North America and have been tamed?  Oh, dear...okay, so I'd totally breed mammoths if I were a mad geneticist.  Because it would be fun.)

            • DARRELLSTEPHANIE
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, brendawriter@... wrote:

                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "DARRELLSTEPHANIE" <vvalkyrie@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Heck, if I were the sparky Mayan ruler, I think I would definitely come up with some sort of area defense system that would put paid to any airship or seafaring ship that approached my shores.
                > >
                > > -Steph
                > >

                > When I saw SQUANTO, a movie which came out some years ago, my thought was that the title character had been totally mistaken. He made friends with the Pilgrims and helped them to stay in Massachusetts, in the film; if he had been able to see the future he'd have helped the other Indians shove them back onto the Mayflower and push them out to sea.
                >
                > Brenda

                That was kinda my point. :)

                -Steph