Re: [Girl Genius] Agatha's flying clank

  • wtarrasque@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2011
      On 3/2/2011 6:06 PM, Jennifer Quail wrote:

      > Well, that assumes it only plays once and wipes the message--but
      > either way, it implies Albia might have gotten the message instead
      > of the Baron (either the actual bot or a report of what it said),
      > and it would go a long way to explaining why Wooster, even after
      > watching Agatha get a little...Sparky ("Why can't Wooster do it?"
      > "Because I [Carson] have the special holes drilled in my head."
      > "Oh, I can fix that!" "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?") is apparently
      > convinced she's on the side of good and isn't the Other.

      I wouldn't say he thinks she is on the side of a proverbial good, see
      this comic: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100827

      I think Wooster thinks she's an incredibly valuable asset to be used
      against the Baron, who's empire is Britain's greatest rival. I wonder
      what he meant by Albia "taking an interest."

      ~ WT

    • Beth
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_brouse" <andrew_brouse@...> wrote:

        > Back in June 2006, Agatha sent four flying clanks with her FIRST message out into the world as a backup plan. Three failed, one escaped.
        > When does that one get into the hands of the Baron? (talk about something we haven't seen for a while)
        >
        > And further more, when do Maxim, Oggie, and Dimo return?

        Are we certain 3 of them died? I was re-reading last night and what struck me is that we see 1 shatter when bit by the bird thing. 1 hides and escapes to Wooster. The other 2 could possibly have survived. We don't actually see them being destroyed by the bird thing and we don't have any sound effects indicating they hit a wall or anything. The plane one in particular - presumably went into the sewers, it could have survived that, as long as it avoided the monsters and walls...

      • Jennifer Quail
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011

          On 3/2/2011 6:06 PM, Jennifer Quail wrote:

          > Well, that assumes it only plays once and wipes the message--but
          > either way, it implies Albia might have gotten the message instead
          > of the Baron (either the actual bot or a report of what it said),
          > and it would go a long way to explaining why Wooster, even after
          > watching Agatha get a little...Sparky ("Why can't Wooster do it?"
          > "Because I [Carson] have the special holes drilled in my head."
          > "Oh, I can fix that!" "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?") is apparently
          > convinced she's on the side of good and isn't the Other.

          I wouldn't say he thinks she is on the side of a proverbial good, see
          this comic: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100827

          I think Wooster thinks she's an incredibly valuable asset to be used
          against the Baron, who's empire is Britain's greatest rival. I wonder
          what he meant by Albia "taking an interest."

          Note the "helped an innocent girl" part, which may just be that English-gentleman thing they all seem to have (even many in real life), but he definitely does NOT seem to think Agatha is the Other, or that she's actually a worse alternative than the Baron.  (Maybe Albia likes the idea of having a female ally?)  He definitely isn't acting out of the "omgcrazysparkisgoingtokillme" reaction which seems to motivate him where Gil was concerned.  Even when Agatha WAS, somewhat indirectly, threatening his safety if not his life.  And he, along with Zeetha and Krosp, is absolutely willing to walk into the Castle with her until she says no.  Agatha does have that effect on people, even if he doesn't have reason to believe she isn't the most evil thing to appear in Europe in the last twenty years.  It's definitely in England's interest for the Baron to have an internal rival in Europe, but it seems highly unlikely (to the point Boris can't believe Wooster
          would do what he did with the Jaegers if he actually thought she was the Other and wasn't just duped) that Albia would want it to be someone genuinely worse than the Baron, whom she might NOT be able to keep from attacking Britain.

          As for if he's wrong, and she IS the Other, Albia taking an interest--well, could be a lot of things.  Simplest, yeah, it would be something of serious consequence.  We've never had it explained whether Lu-agatha thought going to England was a great idea just because Klaus apparently can't get at it, or if she honestly thinks Albia would HELP her (again, seems unlikely Albia would knowingly ally with something that destructive, as we've never seen any evidence of the Other being big into honoring alliances or anything else.)  England's implied to be somewhat insular (pun unintended)--possibly the Other's return would provoke them into overt, rather than covert, action.  And of course it would be a massive political upheaval and would totally reset the balance of European power (even just the return of a legitimate Heterodyne will do that) so Albia's going to have to take an active interest if that new power shows interest in outward expansion.

          So basically--we need to know more about Albia!  And tangentally...England has a queen, Skifander has a queen...maybe they do just all like the idea of having another powerful female poltical force.

          And speaking of European political leaders, is the Master of Paris one of Klaus's subordinates?  Or does he, like Albia, have some way of holding his own?  FWIW, Othar's Twitter certainly implies the Master's not someone to be messed with.

          Ring the Doom Bell and upset the Euorpean political balance, already!  I want answers.

        • Andrew Brouse
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Quail <tiepilot.geo@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > So basically--we need to know more about Albia!  And tangentally...England has a queen, Skifander has a queen...maybe they do just all like the idea of having another powerful female poltical force.
            >
            > And speaking of European political leaders, is the Master of Paris one of Klaus's subordinates?  Or does he, like Albia, have some way of holding his own?  FWIW, Othar's Twitter certainly implies the Master's not someone to be messed with.
            >
            > Ring the Doom Bell and upset the Euorpean political balance, already!  I want answers.

            That's why I love this story! It's a big complicated, convoluted series of puzzles which, it seems, the authors have sketched out a base story line for. And Agatha is the keystone piece that (eventually) solves them all.

            Simply by announcing her existence, Agatha HETERODYNE has already upset the power balance of Europa (and possibly the planet). So, who will rule in the end? Wulfenbach-Heterodyne, Sturmvoraus-Heterodyne, or someone else?
          • David Goldfarb
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
              On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Beth <klamerus219@...> wrote:

              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_brouse" <andrew_brouse@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Back in June 2006, Agatha sent four flying clanks with her FIRST message out into the world as a backup plan. Three failed, one escaped.
              > > When does that one get into the hands of the Baron? (talk about something we haven't seen for a while)
              > >
              > > And further more, when do Maxim, Oggie, and Dimo return?
              > >
              > Are we certain 3 of them died? I was re-reading last night and what struck me is that we see 1 shatter when bit by the bird thing. 1 hides and escapes to Wooster. The other 2 could possibly have survived. We don't actually see them being destroyed by the bird thing and we don't have any sound effects indicating they hit a wall or anything. The plane one in particular - presumably went into the sewers, it could have survived that, as long as it avoided the monsters and walls...
              >
              > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060612
              > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060614

              We see both of them with the bird-thing's mouth just about to close on
              them. I see no reason to think that the plane one made it any farther
              than the entrance to the sewers -- it thought that the grating would
              keep the bird-thing out, and the last panel makes it clear that the
              bot was mistaken. And against that thing, one mistake is all you get.
              We don't see the bird-thing actually chewing the two of them up and
              spitting them out, but we don't have to. The implication could not be
              more clear.

              David Goldfarb
            • wtarrasque@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
                On 3/3/2011 12:44 PM, David Goldfarb wrote:
                > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Beth<klamerus219@...> wrote:
                >> <...snip...> The plane one in particular - presumably went into the sewers, it could have survived that, as long as it avoided the monsters and walls<...snip...>
                > <...snip...> The implication could not be
                > more clear.

                I agree! But I also notice that they didn't die on screen, so to
                speak. So... they may show up again.

                To link to TVTropes:
                http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverFoundTheBody

                ~ WT
              • Joseph H
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, wtarrasque@... wrote:

                  > On 3/3/2011 12:44 PM, David Goldfarb wrote:
                  > > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Beth<klamerus219@...> wrote:
                  > >> <...snip...> The plane one in particular - presumably went into the sewers, it could have survived that, as long as it avoided the monsters and walls<...snip...>
                  > > <...snip...> The implication could not be
                  > > more clear.
                  >
                  > I agree! But I also notice that they didn't die on screen, so to
                  > speak. So... they may show up again.
                  >
                  > To link to TVTropes:

                  ...you get minus-100 Moxanna points for doing that. :P
                • wtarrasque@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
                    On 3/4/2011 6:23 AM, Joseph H wrote:
                    > ...you get minus-100 Moxanna points for doing that. :P

                    :-( That puts me at -100 Moxanna points. ~WT