Re: [Girl Genius] Tarvek thinks Higgs is a jaeger

  • god
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
      On 1/31/2011 5:04 PM, lisa.palmer21@... wrote:
      > Tarvek noticed that Higgs got permission from the "heterdyne" and
      > wulfenbach to leave the castle. Why on earth would a person employed
      > by the wulfenbach family need permission from Agatha to leave her? If
      > she was a heterodyne that makes perfect sense.

      I think it was more of a request for him to take ZEETHA out of the
      castle, rather than for HIMSELF... he asked Gil to be excused for
      himself, because he's still under-cover as a Wulfenbach airmen...

      what i find amusing is that nobody has commented on the slightly at-odds
      thought patterns concerning "Mama Gkika's"... Gil and Higgs are both
      knowledgeable in the "true" Mama's, Agatha is clueless except for what
      Tarvek has implied... and the biggest odd thought, is that Tarvek, with
      all of the info he has read about the HB's and all about the Castle
      itself, and about everything else, for that matter, all in order to
      perpetrate the coup of the century... He STILL thinks that Mama's is the
      TOURIST BAR!!! (the 3rd and 7th panels on the Friday comic).... then
      again, didn't Violetta even say that she thought it was weird how the
      Chamber of Commerce didn't seem to be running things, and yet nobody
      thought to follow up on things like that?... I'd say they need to pay
      their spy's more, it might make it harder to suborn them away from their
      cause (whichever one that may be) and actually report the correct info
      to the Bosses for once... or even get a BETTER Spy in the first place!

      did you notice how much redder that Higgs face got when Tarvek was
      talking about him deserting his post? Oh, Yeah... Higgs has it bad...
      he's fallen for Zeetha hard... AND Tarvek KNOWS IT...

      as for Higgs not having any problem with getting there, and Tarvek's
      comments about it, i think Tarvek is still thinking that Higgs is the
      equivalent of a modern day sailor that has the uncanny reputation to
      find seedy bars in foreign ports that he's never been in before, rather
      than any Higgs/Castle affinity that will let him get there otherwise.

      though i could be wrong about that too, since the fight here

      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100222

      I'm sure T has been thinking about just who or what Higgs really is...
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, lisa.palmer21@... wrote:

        > Tarvek noticed that Higgs got permission from the "heterdyne" and wulfenbach to leave the castle. Why on earth would a person employed by the wulfenbach family need permission from Agatha to leave her? If she was a heterodyne that makes perfect sense.

        Well it is her castle. It's polite if nothing else to ask permission before walking through it. On top of that, he knows that she's the driving force behind whatever is going on, so it would be best at least to consult with her before he does something.

        I'm not saying that you're wrong, but if I was in his position I would have done the same thing even if I wasn't answerable to Agatha at all.

        -Steve
      • lisa.palmer21@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
          Yeah, I agree with you guys on that Higgs is a respectful guy, not a bootlicker or kiss A'. but a genuinely respectful guy. He does understand that Agatha is the heterodyne and is due great respect as thus, but his asking for dismissal seemed extremely ritualized, not like he was doing bootlicking to stay on her good side because she's a bad A' and has a bad A' castle working for her.I thought he was genuinely asking for release from duty, that he needed release from the compulsion to aid her. Tarvek interpreted it that way also, is what I read into the script. Of course, this is just what I'm reading into the script, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but Higgs' choice of seeking dismissal rings peculiar to me. It is condescending to ask for dismissal from a person who is not in your command structure. It is kiss A'. Higgs is a respectful person and that "man" has no need to butter up anyone. He is a terror and genuinely frightening in his capacities. He's frigging superman. Why is he charading around as a mild mannered lowly bosun when he could be a warlord. He doesnt need to be here in the castle, he could be out ruling some corner of the world. He doesn't need to kiss up to Agatha. He didn't need to ask her permission to go, he could have respectfuuly told her, "i need to take care of zeetha, i fear for her life and while i wouldnt desert you in desparate need, i can see that you are well, and zeetha's need is desperate. Goodluck in your endeavor",but yet he did ask her permission. Odd. Agatha loves Zeetha. She would want Higgs to take care of her and wouldn't require him to get her permission to do the thing that they would both desparatly want to happen. That is, ensure Zeetha's survival. Agatha doesn't need to be buttered. And I think that Higgs is wise enough to know this about Agatha. I don't understand his motivations, but I'm so glad he is on our side, though of course, just like everyone else, I wonder why our team has his loyalty, when he could have his own team. Why wulfenbach has had his loyalty. Why he has kept a deliberately low profile and was willing to silence Castle/Otillia so she wouldn't blab. I just adore him. I'm a huge sucker for the convention of the loyal second banana doing anything to rescue his bosses biscuits out of the fire, but I think that is a literary convention. I think Higgs is compelled to loyalty, how and why else would such talent,drive and intelligence be incognito instead of taking over the world? Or maybe he is a literary convention. The calvary, the god in the machine. Etc...I want to have faith in the Foglios that it is more than that.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 1, 2011, at 6:56 AM, "Steven Paul Rewa, M.S." <rewastev@...> wrote:

          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, lisa.palmer21@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Tarvek noticed that Higgs got permission from the "heterdyne" and wulfenbach to leave the castle. Why on earth would a person employed by the wulfenbach family need permission from Agatha to leave her? If she was a heterodyne that makes perfect sense.
          > >

          > Well it is her castle. It's polite if nothing else to ask permission before walking through it. On top of that, he knows that she's the driving force behind whatever is going on, so it would be best at least to consult with her before he does something.
          >
          > I'm not saying that you're wrong, but if I was in his position I would have done the same thing even if I wasn't answerable to Agatha at all.
          >
          > -Steve

        • Mary Lumsden
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
            On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM, <lisa.palmer21@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, I agree with you guys on that Higgs is a respectful guy, not a
            > bootlicker or kiss A'. but a genuinely respectful guy. He does understand
            > that Agatha is the heterodyne and is due great respect as thus, but his
            > asking for dismissal seemed extremely ritualized, not like he was doing
            > bootlicking to stay on her good side because she's a bad A' and has a bad A'
            > castle working for her.I thought he was genuinely asking for release from
            > duty, that he needed release from the compulsion to aid her. Tarvek
            > interpreted it that way also, is what I read into the script. Of course,
            > this is just what I'm reading into the script, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm
            > wrong, but Higgs' choice of seeking dismissal rings peculiar to me. It is
            > condescending to ask for dismissal from a person who is not in your command
            > structure. It is kiss A'. Higgs is a respectful person and that "man" has no
            > need to butter up anyone. He is a terror and genuinely frightening in his
            > capacities. He's frigging superman. Why is he charading around as a mild
            > mannered lowly bosun when he could be a warlord. He doesnt need to be here
            > in the castle, he could be out ruling some corner of the world. He doesn't
            > need to kiss up to Agatha. He didn't need to ask her permission to go, he
            > could have respectfuuly told her, "i need to take care of zeetha, i fear for
            > her life and while i wouldnt desert you in desparate need, i can see that
            > you are well, and zeetha's need is desperate. Goodluck in your endeavor",but
            > yet he did ask her permission. Odd. Agatha loves Zeetha. She would want
            > Higgs to take care of her and wouldn't require him to get her permission to
            > do the thing that they would both desparatly want to happen. That is, ensure
            > Zeetha's survival. Agatha doesn't need to be buttered. And I think that
            > Higgs is wise enough to know this about Agatha. I don't understand his
            > motivations, but I'm so glad he is on our side, though of course, just like
            > everyone else, I wonder why our team has his loyalty, when he could have his
            > own team. Why wulfenbach has had his loyalty. Why he has kept a deliberately
            > low profile and was willing to silence Castle/Otillia so she wouldn't blab.
            > I just adore him. I'm a huge sucker for the convention of the loyal second
            > banana doing anything to rescue his bosses biscuits out of the fire, but I
            > think that is a literary convention. I think Higgs is compelled to loyalty,
            > how and why else would such talent,drive and intelligence be incognito
            > instead of taking over the world? Or maybe he is a literary convention. The
            > calvary, the god in the machine. Etc...I want to have faith in the Foglios
            > that it is more than that.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone

            He might be just playing it safe so that Der Kastle doesnt object to his
            leaving.
            Agatha's permission give him that free pass.
            Then Gil's prevents Gil from having questions and is also handling something
            that otherwise would distract the trio from getting Der Kastle up and
            running.

            Also does anyone know if this means that Der Kastle can communicate with the
            crypt?

          • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
              On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 06:58:00PM -0500, Mary Lumsden wrote:
              > Also does anyone know if this means that Der Kastle can communicate with the
              > crypt?

              I would say yes.

              Sixth panel, "We spoke in the crypts, yes."

              It seems pretty clear to me that since the reboot (1) Der
              Kestle's personality is no longer fragmented and (2) it has
              integrated most of disparate fragments and their
              experiences.

              Of course what it will take to light the third light and
              ring the Doom Bell we still don't know.

              Also, I was definitely under the impression that the
              dingbots had taken over part of the castle.
            • Joseph H
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, lisa.palmer21@... wrote:

                > Tarvek noticed that Higgs got permission from the "heterodyne" and wulfenbach to leave the castle. Why on earth would a person employed by the wulfenbach family need permission from Agatha to leave her? If she was a heterodyne that makes perfect sense.

                He asked Gil first, then asked "by your leave" from Agatha - the latter because it *is* *her* castle in the first place, and the former because he's under Gil's authority as a WB airman.

                He also has a very legitimate pair of reasons to ask to leave: get Zeetha healed up, and let Klaus & company know about the Impostor.
              • Joseph H
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

                  <snipx>

                  > Of course what it will take to light the third light and
                  > ring the Doom Bell we still don't know.

                  <snipx>

                  Oh. I just had a thought: What if the area where they are being directed is the power source for DK - *AND* the Doom Bell?
                • Joy Beeson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
                    On 2/1/11 11:45 AM, lisa.palmer21@... wrote:

                    > why else would such talent,drive and intelligence be
                    > incognito instead of taking over the world?

                    Why would Higgs want to take over the world? I know why
                    Klaus had to, but Higgs has Klaus to take care of things,
                    and doesn't need to exert himself.

                    The real question is where Higgs was before Klaus came back.

                    --
                    Joy Beeson
                    http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011

                      > > Of course what it will take to light the third light and
                      > > ring the Doom Bell we still don't know.
                      > >
                      > <snipx>
                      >
                      > Oh. I just had a thought: What if the area where they are being directed is
                      > the power source for DK - *AND* the Doom Bell?

                      Neat Idea. However isnt it suppose to be the Seneschal that rings the Doom
                      Bell?
                      (That section must be the main junction... once it is fixed that means Der
                      Kastle should have access to the rest of the building.!!) That would be a
                      very nice two page picture - Der Kastle in control and everyone reacting to
                      it. (hospital, Castle W. Jagers, Mechanicsburg... etc)

                    • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                        [unattributed:]
                        > > Oh. I just had a thought: What if the area where they are being directed is
                        > > the power source for DK - *AND* the Doom Bell?

                        But Moloch von Zinzer is in the Great Movement Chamber
                        repairing the power source already... Playing Mr. Scott, as
                        it were.

                        On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:27:52AM -0500, Mary Lumsden wrote:
                        > Neat Idea. However isnt it suppose to be the Seneschal that rings the Doom
                        > Bell?

                        True enough. Something must direct him to do so, though.

                        > (That section must be the main junction... once it is fixed that means Der
                        > Kastle should have access to the rest of the building.!!)

                        I don't think so; I think Gil and the dingbots fixed the
                        main junction a long time ago.

                        It would be in line with Der Kestle's character to direct
                        Agatha not so much where the damage is the worst, but to the
                        location of the third test. Which may very well be closely
                        connected to the Doom Bell.
                      • Elliott Olson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                          Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 6:24:18 PM, Prof. wrote:

                          PZoZ> http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20101227

                          PZoZ> Sixth panel, "We spoke in the crypts, yes."

                          PZoZ> It seems pretty clear to me that since the reboot (1) Der
                          PZoZ> Kestle's personality is no longer fragmented and (2) it has
                          PZoZ> integrated most of disparate fragments and their
                          PZoZ> experiences.

                          It's no longer fragmented because all (or most) the other fragments
                          were fried. The current personality now just needs to grow into the
                          now vacant spots (as connections are, or become, available). If there
                          are still any surviving fragments, they should be small enough to
                          overpower.

                          --
                          Best regards,
                          Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:
                            ~~Xnp~~ Moloch von Zinzer is in the Great Movement Chamber
                            > repairing the power source already... Playing Mr. Scott, as
                            > it were.~~Xnp~~

                            "Ah'm given yeh all shes got, Mistrress!"

                            Cerrberus
                          • Edward Rhodes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                              I don't really

                              think

                              there

                              has

                              be

                              any

                              spoiler

                              space

                              but what the hey!

                              ***

                              Well, we didn't get a scene shift, but this dialog between the commander and the
                              doctor is priceless.

                            • Mary Lumsden
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                                On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@...> wrote:

                                > I don't really
                                >
                                > think
                                >
                                > there
                                >
                                > has
                                >
                                > be
                                >
                                > any
                                >
                                > spoiler
                                >
                                > space
                                >
                                > but what the hey!
                                >
                                > ***
                                >
                                > Well, we didn't get a scene shift, but this dialog between the commander
                                > and the
                                > doctor is priceless.

                                Heh, its nice to know that the Baron will finally get some needed info.
                                Plus Knight of Jove will dish about Pinky... so then when a certain Higgs
                                puts out bout the the other unknown facts..
                                Hilarity will ensue. Of course we still has the problem of the wasping of
                                the Baron.