What Does it Sound LIke?

  • falyeril
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 23, 2010
      1b. Re: wierd but harmless
      Posted by: "Elliott Olson" ejolson@... amigadragon1962
      Date: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am ((PST))

      >Has there been any suggestion what heterodyning actually sounds like?

      It' s very close to the trill of Clark Savage, Jr.

      Stickmaker
    • Steve Elmes
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 23, 2010
        Ah, all is explained!

        Wayland

        On 12/23/10, falyeril <edmistonsmith@...> wrote:
        > 1b. Re: wierd but harmless
        > Posted by: "Elliott Olson" ejolson@... amigadragon1962
        > Date: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am ((PST))
        >

        >>Has there been any suggestion what heterodyning actually sounds like?
        >
        > It' s very close to the trill of Clark Savage, Jr.
        >

        > Stickmaker

      • Elliott Olson
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 26, 2010
          Thursday, December 23, 2010, 8:30:15 AM, falyeril wrote:

          f> Posted by: "Elliott Olson" ejolson@... amigadragon1962
          f> Date: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am ((PST))

          >>Has there been any suggestion what heterodyning actually sounds like?

          f> It' s very close to the trill of Clark Savage, Jr.

          Umm... who? Was he a one-hit-wonder?

          --
          Best regards,
          Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 26, 2010
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Elliott Olson <ejolson@...> wrote:

            > Thursday, December 23, 2010, 8:30:15 AM, falyeril wrote:
            >
            > f> Posted by: "Elliott Olson" ejolson@... amigadragon1962
            > f> Date: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am ((PST))
            >
            > >>Has there been any suggestion what heterodyning actually sounds like?
            >
            > f> It' s very close to the trill of Clark Savage, Jr.
            >
            > Umm... who? Was he a one-hit-wonder?

            *Sigh* Oh, these young'ns.

            Clark Savage, Jr. had two things about him: he was exceptionally well-rounded (as in very strong, very well connected and very intelligent - as in DOCTORATE level, hint hint); and he was bronze. Not tan, bronze.

            And no, I don't think Heterodyning sounds like that.
          • Trouble Sturm
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 26, 2010
              On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Joseph H <jwhouk@...> wrote:

              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com <girlgenius%40yahoogroups.com>, Elliott
              > Olson <ejolson@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thursday, December 23, 2010, 8:30:15 AM, falyeril wrote:
              > >
              > > f> Posted by: "Elliott Olson" ejolson@... amigadragon1962
              >
              > > f> Date: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am ((PST))

              > > f> It' s very close to the trill of Clark Savage, Jr.
              > >
              > > Umm... who? Was he a one-hit-wonder?
              > >

              > *Sigh* Oh, these young'ns.
              >
              > Clark Savage, Jr. had two things about him: he was exceptionally
              > well-rounded (as in very strong, very well connected and very intelligent -
              > as in DOCTORATE level, hint hint); and he was bronze. Not tan, bronze.
              >
              > And no, I don't think Heterodyning sounds like that.

              For those young'ns who don't know how to google, here is the relevant link.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage
              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage>

              --
              rh
              Trouble

            • Elliott Olson
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 27, 2010
                Monday, December 27, 2010, 1:54:06 AM, Trouble wrote:

                >> > f> It' s very close to the trill of Clark Savage, Jr.
                >> >
                >> > Umm... who? Was he a one-hit-wonder?
                >> >

                >> *Sigh* Oh, these young'ns.

                TS> For those young'ns who don't know how to google, here is the relevant link.

                TS> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage
                TS> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage>

                Why didn't someone just say "Doc Savage"? I tried searching youtube
                for Clark Savage Jr to try listening to an example and couldn't find
                Clark.
                I've heard of Doc Savage, but that's as far as it goes, I know nothing
                about him, never read the comic or seen the show in my 48 years.

                --
                Best regards,
                Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 27, 2010
                  On Dec 28, 2010, at 1:02 AM, Elliott Olson wrote:

                  > I've heard of Doc Savage, but that's as far as it goes, I know nothing
                  > about him, never read the comic or seen the show in my 48 years.

                  I recently found the Ron Ely movie adaption. It's the campiest movie ever made - and yes that includes the Batman movie with Adam West. I had fun with it, but it doesn't really do him justice. I hope the new version mentioned in the Wikipedia article happens and treats him at least reasonably seriously.
                • Joy Beeson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                    On 12/28/10 2:02 AM, Elliott Olson wrote:

                    > I've heard of Doc Savage, but that's as far as it goes, I
                    > know nothing about him, never read the comic or seen the
                    > show in my 48 years.

                    Infant!

                    He was before my time, and I'm pushing seventy.

                    Doc Savage appeared in pulp magazines in the thirties, and
                    was the foundation for Superman and other cultural icons.
                    There have been comic-book adaptations of pulp adventures,
                    -- Conan the Barbarian is the only one that I've seen for
                    myself, but I assume that Doc Savage wouldn't have been
                    overlooked.

                    I don't think there has been a television show. Doc Savage
                    was so very thirties that he would be very hard to adapt for
                    people to whom helicopters aren't science fiction. We don't
                    have futuristic any more -- any ridiculous gadget you can
                    imagine can be bought off the shelf.

                    Except interchangeable parts, of course.

                    --
                    Joy Beeson
                    http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                      Infant!

                      He was before my time, and I'm pushing seventy.

                      Doc Savage appeared in pulp magazines in the thirties, and
                      was the foundation for Superman and other cultural icons.
                      There have been comic-book adaptations of pulp adventures,
                      -- Conan the Barbarian is the only one that I've seen for
                      myself, but I assume that Doc Savage wouldn't have been
                      overlooked.
                      * * * * *
                      Well said, Joy. In truth, Superman robbed Doc Savage blind! Even the name
                      Clark Kent comes from Clark Savage Jr and Kent Allard (the Shadow). Savage
                      was original "Man of Steel" and "Man of Tomorrow". He became the Man of
                      Bronze after Supes swiped the first two. Moreover, the Fortress of Solitude
                      and later introduction of a female cousin (Pat Savage) were straight
                      rip-offs. Bruce Wayne stuck his hand in the till and made off with Docs
                      gadgets.

                      In a way, I think Othar Tryggvassen is a spoof on Doc.

                      <<QVRAAAAAKK!!!>>
                      (Oh? You think so, too?)

                      Jack Russell
                    • brendawriter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, <werewolfbynight13@...> wrote:

                        > Infant!
                        >
                        > He was before my time, and I'm pushing seventy.
                        >
                        > Doc Savage appeared in pulp magazines in the thirties, and
                        > was the foundation for Superman and other cultural icons.
                        > There have been comic-book adaptations of pulp adventures,
                        > -- Conan the Barbarian is the only one that I've seen for
                        > myself, but I assume that Doc Savage wouldn't have been
                        > overlooked.
                        > * * * * *
                        > Well said, Joy. In truth, Superman robbed Doc Savage blind! Even the name
                        > Clark Kent comes from Clark Savage Jr and Kent Allard (the Shadow). Savage
                        > was original "Man of Steel" and "Man of Tomorrow". He became the Man of
                        > Bronze after Supes swiped the first two. Moreover, the Fortress of Solitude
                        > and later introduction of a female cousin (Pat Savage) were straight
                        > rip-offs. Bruce Wayne stuck his hand in the till and made off with Docs
                        > gadgets.

                        DC Comics has recently rebooted Doc Savage (along with The Spirit), so you can buy his comic in any comic book store.

                        Brenda
                      • Joshua Kronengold
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                          Elliott Olson writes:
                          >Why didn't someone just say "Doc Savage"? I tried searching youtube
                          >for Clark Savage Jr to try listening to an example and couldn't find
                          >Clark.

                          Probably because they were being cute? People do that.

                          But I can't see why you'd start with youtube rather than google.
                          "clark savage" and "clark savage jr" both have doc savage refs as the
                          entire first page, including the first link (to Wikipedia, natch),
                          explaining that that's Doc Savage's real name.

                          >I've heard of Doc Savage, but that's as far as it goes, I know nothing
                          >about him, never read the comic or seen the show in my 48 years.

                          It's a book!

                          There were, of course, movies, comics, and a radio show, but Doc
                          Savage started as a series of (not very good, by my eyes, at least
                          having just read the first novel) novels.

                          --
                          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the tera- |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                          --^--port patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                            Have a look for Doc Salvaged, the Fan-Edit of Bronze: a reworking of
                            the movie (George Pal's last) which improves it no end. I like the
                            original, too: though deficient in detail (according to the purists and
                            rabid Doc Savage fans) it is watchable over and over, and preserves the
                            feel of the original era.
                          • Elliott Olson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                              Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 4:03:08 PM, Joshua wrote:

                              JK> Elliott Olson writes:
                              >>Why didn't someone just say "Doc Savage"? I tried searching youtube
                              >>for Clark Savage Jr to try listening to an example and couldn't find
                              >>Clark.

                              JK> Probably because they were being cute? People do that.

                              JK> But I can't see why you'd start with youtube rather than google.

                              I started with youtube because falyeril/Stickmaker mentioned
                              heterodyning sounding like his trill and I figured that "finding some
                              artist's performance" would be easiest on youtube. Where else would
                              you have searched for someone's sound? Even finding Doc Savage videos,
                              I haven't found any yet where he sang.

                              --
                              Best regards,
                              Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
                                Elliott Olson writes:
                                >Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 4:03:08 PM, Joshua wrote:
                                >JK> Elliott Olson writes:
                                >>>Why didn't someone just say "Doc Savage"? I tried searching youtube
                                >>>for Clark Savage Jr to try listening to an example and couldn't find
                                >>>Clark.
                                >JK> Probably because they were being cute? People do that.

                                (the word I was forgetting here was shiboleth)

                                >JK> But I can't see why you'd start with youtube rather than google.

                                >I started with youtube because falyeril/Stickmaker mentioned
                                >heterodyning sounding like his trill and I figured that "finding some
                                >artist's performance" would be easiest on youtube. Where else would
                                >you have searched for someone's sound? Even finding Doc Savage videos,
                                >I haven't found any yet where he sang.

                                Good research habits can avoid leading you down dark alleys. We don't
                                know what Agatha's Hetrodyning, but we can have an impression from it
                                based on how its drawn.

                                Similarly, Doc Savage is a literary character, therefore the primary
                                source on the characteristics of his trill is literary -- not the
                                reproduction of some actor or musician.

                                "Suddenly, a weird sound permeated the interior of the office; a
                                trilling, mellow, subdued sound. It might have
                                been the dulcet note of some exotic jungle bird, or the sylvan song of
                                wind filtering through a leafless forest.
                                The strange trilling had the weird quality of seeming to come from
                                everywhere within the office.
                                Electric tension seized Doc's five men They knew what that sound
                                meant. Danger!
                                For the sound was part of Doc - a small, unconscious thing that he did
                                in moments of mental stress, or when
                                he had made some astounding discovery, or when death threatened." --
                                Doc Savage: Pirate of the Pacific

                                Or, say, the quote here from "Bigger in Life" (which as it happens is
                                about drawing on the literatary description of Savage's trill to
                                create the radio play version):
                                http://books.google.com/books?id=QffyEL5J724C&lpg=PA20&dq=doc%20savage%20trill&pg=PA20#v=onepage&q=doc%20savage%20trill&f=false

                                In order to compare Hetrodyining with the "trill", one must compare,
                                therefore, the literary description of Savage's trill with the
                                graphical (or, now, literary) depiction of Agatha's Hetrodyning.

                                Which, mind, brings to mind a certain quote about dancing about
                                architecture, but there's a reason this is a fan group.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                                  Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 10:10:00 PM, Joshua wrote:

                                  >>I started with youtube because falyeril/Stickmaker mentioned
                                  >>heterodyning sounding like his trill and I figured that "finding some
                                  >>artist's performance" would be easiest on youtube. Where else would
                                  >>you have searched for someone's sound? Even finding Doc Savage videos,
                                  >>I haven't found any yet where he sang.

                                  JK> Good research habits can avoid leading you down dark alleys. We don't
                                  JK> know what Agatha's Hetrodyning, but we can have an impression from it
                                  JK> based on how its drawn.

                                  JK> Similarly, Doc Savage is a literary character, therefore the primary
                                  JK> source on the characteristics of his trill is literary -- not the
                                  JK> reproduction of some actor or musician.

                                  My point though is that I started that search before knowing it was a
                                  literary reference instead of a musical performance reference.

                                  --
                                  Best regards,
                                  Elliott mailto:ejolson@...
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 31, 2010
                                    Have a look for Doc Salvaged, the Fan-Edit of Bronze: a reworking of
                                    the movie (George Pal's last) which improves it no end. I like the
                                    original, too: though deficient in detail (according to the purists and
                                    rabid Doc Savage fans) it is watchable over and over, and preserves the
                                    feel of the original era.
                                    ***
                                    Having sat through "Doc Savage" and been saddened and horrified as both a Doc
                                    Savage AND a George Pal fan, I have to ask; where can this be found?