Othar's Twitter hacked?

  • Clint Olson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
      So, Othar's Twitter account just updated... with a spam link. Have the
      Foglios been hacked?

      Clint
    • Ian Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
        On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Clint Olson <coandco@...> wrote:

        > So, Othar's Twitter account just updated... with a spam link. Have the
        > Foglios been hacked?

        I saw that this morning. It doesn't look like spam, though. My guess is
        that it got posted to the wrong Twitter account by accident.

      • Alice Bentley
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
          I hear from reliable sources that the link is not spam but a fairly
          interesting simulator for the US government budget. And that if one was to
          mess about with it oneself, there's an all-too-easy to hit "Tell Twitter
          About it" sort of button.

          Alice

          On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Clint Olson <coandco@...> wrote:

          > So, Othar's Twitter account just updated... with a spam link. Have the
          > Foglios been hacked?
          >
          > Clint

        • fiawolauction
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
            Anytime a link gets posted that SAYS it's going to one place (nytimes.com/interactive, in this case) but when you hover your pointer over the link and it says it's going to someplace else (someplace at t.co again in this case) no WAY am I going to click that link. Hopefully the people at Studiofoglio will catch it and delete that post, or move it to wherever it was supposed to go to (assuming it's an actual post, and not a hack).

            Dave

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
              On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM, fiawolauction <fiawol@...> wrote:

              > Anytime a link gets posted that SAYS it's going to one place (
              > nytimes.com/interactive, in this case) but when you hover your pointer
              > over the link and it says it's going to someplace else (someplace at t.coagain in this case) no WAY am I going to click that link. Hopefully the
              > people at Studiofoglio will catch it and delete that post, or move it to
              > wherever it was supposed to go to (assuming it's an actual post, and not a
              > hack).

              t.co is a redirection service provided by Twitter that is used to vet links
              against a list of potentially dangerous sites. You can read more about it
              at:

              http://support.twitter.com/entries/109623

              In any case, I can verify that the posted link does in fact lead to
              nytimes.com.

              Cheers,
              Ian

            • Joseph H
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
                I believe Cheyenne was in charge of the account - anyone want to shoot him a message about it?
              • Joseph H
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph H" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

                  > I believe Cheyenne was in charge of the account - anyone want to shoot him a message about it?

                  ...and just as I say that, I see that *Cheyenne's* account may have been hacked. Won-der-ful.
                • Ian Kelly
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
                    On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Joseph H <jwhouk@...> wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com <girlgenius%40yahoogroups.com>, "Joseph
                    > H" <jwhouk@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I believe Cheyenne was in charge of the account - anyone want to shoot
                    > him a message about it?
                    > >

                    > ...and just as I say that, I see that *Cheyenne's* account may have been
                    > hacked. Won-der-ful.

                    Looks like it. But the bit.ly link from two days after the youtube spam
                    post leads to a post on Cheyenne's blog, so at least he's back in control of
                    it now.

                    Cheers,
                    Ian

                  • Corgi
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
                      --- Alice Bentley <aliceibentley@...> wrote:

                      > I hear from reliable sources that the link is not spam but a fairly
                      > interesting simulator for the US government budget....

                      And here I thought the US government budget was a horror the likes of which the Old Ones themselves flee in abject eldritch terror.

                      Corgi