Re: Friday 1 October Strip - SCIENCE!!

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Dimo Jager <dimo.jager@...> wrote:

      > The plant is a Nepenthes Dulcis.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepenthes
      > http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dulcis
      >
      >  -- Professors Phil & Kaja Foglio of TPU

      I love it! I used to own a Nepenthes sp. Couldn't keep it humid enough in my dorm room though.

      -Steven Rewa
    • Cerrberus
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Paul Rewa, M.S." <rewastev@...> wrote:

        ~~Xnp~~
        > I love it! I used to own a Nepenthes sp. Couldn't keep it humid enough in my dorm room though.
        >
        > -Steven Rewa

        Smilin'[Rewa]Stev-- that's why you need a bell jar large enuf to cover <strike>lawbreakers</strike> the plant.

        Cerrberus
      • McClure, Kate (BLV)
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
          Pity the poor podling, abandoned twenty years in a shattered hulk, alone
          but for a few wandering snacks . . . er . . . prisoners. How sad!

          *plays tiny violin*

          But hark! Light and movement approach! Do not despair, little legume,
          deliverance approaches!

          Kate McClure
          "Kate, you are an evil, evil woman."
          "Yeah, and I'm good at it, too."
          - M.E.
        • aseachangea
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
            McClure, Kate wrote:

            > Pity the poor podling, abandoned twenty years in a shattered hulk, alone
            > but for a few wandering snacks . . . er . . . prisoners. How sad!

            -----

            Sea Change replies:

            We've seen any number of critters that might make a snack besides prisoners. There's Nyar Spiders and Mimmoths around.

            RL carnivorous plants don't need to eat much, and you can even kill them with too much protein at once.

            I think the spitting hetunias we will see a little later. This plant seems to just drool.

            Sea Change, who wonders at the light source for the plants.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Cerrberus" <cerrberus@...> wrote:
              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Paul Rewa, M.S." <rewastev@> wrote:
              > >
              > ~~Xnp~~
              > > I love it! I used to own a Nepenthes sp. Couldn't keep it humid enough in my dorm room though.
              > >
              > > -Steven Rewa
              > >
              > Smilin'[Rewa]Stev-- that's why you need a bell jar large enuf to cover <strike>lawbreakers</strike> the plant.
              >
              > Cerrberus

              Great idea, but that doesn't leave a lot of space for ME in the room. I really prefer the outside of the jar.

              -Stev
            • Martin J Hooper
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
                On 02/10/2010 11:59, aseachangea wrote:
                > Sea Change, who wonders at the light source for the plants.

                I doubt Sparky Plants need a light source...

                I mean it is Sparky plants we are talking about here. Im sure
                they can come up with something that doesn't need light...
              • Eric Oppen
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
                  Quoting aseachangea <nakedkali@...>:

                  > McClure, Kate wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Pity the poor podling, abandoned twenty years in a shattered hulk, alone
                  >> but for a few wandering snacks . . . er . . . prisoners. How sad!
                  >>
                  > -----
                  >
                  > Sea Change replies:
                  >
                  > We've seen any number of critters that might make a snack besides
                  > prisoners. There's Nyar Spiders and Mimmoths around.

                  Speaking of Nyar spiders...if they'd had a Jager along when they met
                  that one, there'd have been no problem. _TWO_ Jagers, though, might
                  have been a problem...

                  "I saw it virst! It's MINE!"

                  "You're nutz! I saw it virst! I haffen't had bog since forever!"

                  "Mine!"

                  "MINE!"

                  *as things turn into a screaming furball, Agatha yells:*

                  "Boys! BOYS! Stop quarrelling! You can share it!"

                  "Huh? Oh, ya, we can!" *crunch crunch crunch*

                • Brian Dawson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2010
                    > Sea Change, who wonders at the light source for the plants.

                    I doubt Sparky Plants need a light source...

                    I mean it is Sparky plants we are talking about here. Im sure
                    they can come up with something that doesn't need light...

                    Actually if they're in a Consevatory odds are that a fair portion of the ceiling
                    or walls would be glass, allowing for plenty of light to get in