We Have a Winnah!

  • terryloyobrien
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
      Girl Genius #9, Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm, is the winner of the 2010 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story!

      Congratulations to Phil and Kaja and Cheyenne!
    • Martin J Hooper
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
        On 05/09/2010 15:19, terryloyobrien wrote:
        > Girl Genius #9, Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm, is the winner of the 2010 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story!
        >
        > Congratulations to Phil and Kaja and Cheyenne!

        Yay - How many times have they been nominated and not won out of
        interest???

        Congrats guys - Must admit I do love the story and the characters
        - Esp Agatha!!!
      • Paul Wilkins
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
          On 6 September 2010 03:42, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...>wrote:

          > Yay - How many times have they been nominated and not won out of
          > interest???

          They have so far won it every single year.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Graphic_Story

          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Graphic_Story>--
          Paul Wilkins

        • David Goldfarb
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
            On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Martin J Hooper
            <martinjh@...> wrote:
            > On 05/09/2010 15:19, terryloyobrien wrote:
            > > Girl Genius #9, Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm, is the winner of the 2010 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story!
            > >
            > > Congratulations to Phil and Kaja and Cheyenne!
            >
            > Yay - How many times have they been nominated and not won out of interest???

            Zero. The category has only existed this year and last, and _Girl
            Genius_ has won both times.

            David Goldfarb
          • Martin J Hooper
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
              On 05/09/2010 19:20, David Goldfarb wrote:
              > Zero. The category has only existed this year and last, and _Girl
              > Genius_ has won both times.

              Ah Cool :)

              Lets have a bet how many times in a row... ;)
            • James Davis
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                All hail the Heterodyne Hegemony!
              • Jefferson
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                  On 9/5/2010 12:34 PM, Martin J Hooper wrote:
                  > On 05/09/2010 19:20, David Goldfarb wrote:
                  >> Zero. The category has only existed this year and last, and _Girl
                  >> Genius_ has won both times.
                  >
                  > Ah Cool :)
                  >
                  > Lets have a bet how many times in a row... ;)

                  Let's not. I vaguely recall a policy that if the same thing wins
                  three times in a row, the award is removed.

                  --
                  Jefferson
                  http://www.monticello21st.com/fiction/
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                    At 13:39 -0600 2010-09-05, Jefferson wrote:
                    >Let's not. I vaguely recall a policy that if the same thing wins
                    >three times in a row, the award is removed.

                    Assuming such a policy exists, wouldn't that have caused trouble if
                    "Dramatic Presentation, Long Form" had started one year earlier?
                    --
                    Daniel W. Johnson
                    panoptes@...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                      Maybe we should get together and create a special award from the GGG (Girl Genius Group) like a "Hovart"...a wood or plaster figurine or our mascot.

                      <<QVRAAAAKK!!!>>
                      (Oh, great. Hovart wants to pose for it.)

                      Jäck Rüssell

                      Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks. Grouply Sucks.

                    • David Goldfarb
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                        On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jefferson <rulingnations@...> wrote:
                        > On 9/5/2010 12:34 PM, Martin J Hooper wrote:
                        > > On 05/09/2010 19:20, David Goldfarb wrote:
                        > >> Zero. The category has only existed this year and last, and _Girl
                        > >> Genius_ has won both times.
                        > >
                        > > Ah Cool :)
                        > >
                        > > Lets have a bet how many times in a row... ;)
                        >
                        > Let's not. I vaguely recall a policy that if the same thing wins
                        > three times in a row, the award is removed.

                        Best Fan Writer went to Dave Langford every year from 1989 to 2007,
                        plus earlier wins in 1987 and 1985. So no....

                        David Goldfarb
                      • Martin J Hooper
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                          On 05/09/2010 16:47, Paul Wilkins wrote:
                          > On 6 September 2010 03:42, Martin J Hooper<martinjh@...>wrote:
                          >
                          >> Yay - How many times have they been nominated and not won out of
                          >> interest???
                          >>

                          > They have so far won it every single year.
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Graphic_Story

                          :) Cool thanks for the link..
                        • gathererhade
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                            And Doctor Who won Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form in 2006, 2007 & 2008 (as well as 2010).

                            The thing with the Graphic Novel category is that it is not a permanent Hugo Award. It will be reviewed in 2012 when it will either be ratified as permanent or dropped.

                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...> wrote:

                            > On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jefferson <rulingnations@...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Ah Cool :)
                            > > >
                            > > > Lets have a bet how many times in a row... ;)
                            > >
                            > > Let's not. I vaguely recall a policy that if the same thing wins
                            > > three times in a row, the award is removed.
                            >
                            > Best Fan Writer went to Dave Langford every year from 1989 to 2007,
                            > plus earlier wins in 1987 and 1985. So no....
                            >
                            > David Goldfarb

                          • gathererhade
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                              And Phil was so sure that Neil Gaiman was going to win.
                              Good to know my vote helped get GG over the line :-)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                                On 6 September 2010 20:52, gathererhade <cooket@...> wrote:

                                > The thing with the Graphic Novel category is that it is not a permanent
                                > Hugo Award. It will be reviewed in 2012 when it will either be ratified as
                                > permanent or dropped.

                                Dare I say it, but perhaps the Foglios can be encouraged to withhold their
                                entry for next year in order to prevent the "three strikes and the category
                                is out" situation from occurring?

                                --
                                Paul Wilkins

                              • Kenneth H
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "terryloyobrien" <dragonmage@...> wrote:

                                  > Girl Genius #9, Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm, is the winner of the 2010 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story!
                                  >
                                  > Congratulations to Phil and Kaja and Cheyenne!

                                  Hear! Hear!
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2010
                                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Jefferson <rulingnations@...> wrote:
                                    > > Lets have a bet how many times in a row... ;)
                                    >
                                    > Let's not. I vaguely recall a policy that if the same thing wins
                                    > three times in a row, the award is removed.

                                    Oh, come on. How cool would it be to say "we won that contest so many times they don't even do it anymore?"

                                    -Stev