The Inner Circle's Secret Plans

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 29, 2010
      SPOILERS for the Wednesday June 30th update...

      (hopefully that should be enough)

      Of course Lucrezia is going to skip the detailed exposition, that
      would make things too easy on all of *us*. But I think we can draw a
      few conclusions from the things she does say.

      It looks to me as though Lucrezia and the Order were working on a plan
      with the same outlines as the one Zola was trying to do -- marry a
      Storm King to a Heterodyne girl. They were going for a longer game,
      though; they were going to have a half-Mongfish Heterodyne girl...WITH
      LUCREZIA'S MIND IN HER BODY. I wonder if Lucrezia was willing to
      spend decades in an immature body, or if they had some sort of
      artificial aging?

      David Goldfarb
    • Edward Rhodes
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
        SPOILERS for the Wednesday June 30th update...

        (hopefully that should be enough)

        Of course Lucrezia is going to skip the detailed exposition, that
        would make things too easy on all of *us*. But I think we can draw a
        few conclusions from the things she does say.
        ***
        I would have liked a little information as to what a "beacon engine" was, but Pinky doesn't seem to like the prospect!

      • badgersdaughter
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@...> wrote:

          > SPOILERS for the Wednesday June 30th update...

          > (hopefully that should be enough)
          >
          > Of course Lucrezia is going to skip the detailed exposition, that
          > would make things too easy on all of *us*. But I think we can draw a
          > few conclusions from the things she does say.
          > ***
          > I would have liked a little information as to what a "beacon engine" was, but Pinky doesn't seem to like the prospect!

          The BEACON ENGINE is here:

        • William Aber
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
            > The BEACON ENGINE is here:
            >
            > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060707

            Not to railroad the subject... but is anyone else really interested in a
            Bacon Engine instead?

            I mean, talk about awesome ideas!

            - Will
          • William Aber
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
              > The BEACON ENGINE is here:
              >
              > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060707

              Not to railroad the subject... but is anyone else really interested in a
              Bacon Engine instead?

              I mean, talk about awesome ideas!

              - WT
            • Arne Georg Gleditsch
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010

                Also seen here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060102
                and here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060118

                --
                Arne.
              • badgersdaughter
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "badgersdaughter" <badgersdaughter@...> wrote:

                  > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rhodes <ejay1118@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > SPOILERS for the Wednesday June 30th update...

                  > > (hopefully that should be enough)
                  > >
                  > > Of course Lucrezia is going to skip the detailed exposition, that
                  > > would make things too easy on all of *us*. But I think we can draw a
                  > > few conclusions from the things she does say.
                  > > ***
                  > > I would have liked a little information as to what a "beacon engine" was, but Pinky doesn't seem to like the prospect!
                  > >

                  > The BEACON ENGINE is here:
                  >
                  > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060707

                  I'm mostly a lurker but I've put together some ideas. Please forgive me if you fanboys got here before me; I don't do other forum discussions and I don't even read every word of this one. I'm just thinking wildly "out loud" and at length.

                  The beacon engine must be a machine designed to recall slaver wasps after they've been loosed, or even to control them, and possibly to control revenants en masse as well.

                  Dr. Beetle was Lucrezia's teacher. He had a slaver wasp engine. He was Agatha's teacher and knew about her locket. His reaction in the following panel only makes sense if he knew what it was for:

                  Obviously he was in on at least some part of the Inner Circle plot. Baron Wulfenbach knew all about Dr. Beetle's hidden hive engine, so he probably knew a good deal about the plot (though of course not about Agatha until later):

                  The Baron wanted to take Dr. Beetle to interrogate him; after the explosion he wanted Beetle's head in order to reconstruct his memories to find out more about the plot.

                  We know the Baron could do this because Gil says so after the war clank attack on Mechanicsburg.

                  Anyway, to change the subject...

                  Someone in another thread mentioned that they thought that "the Other" was basically short for "the other Lucrezia." That makes sense. It also may help clear up two other things.

                  Klaus Barry Heterodyne is the fully, carefully attested (by at least two irreproachable witnesses in Mechanicsburg, the shadow knight's midwife aunt and Von Mekkan himself) son of Bill and Lucrezia. I don't think we need have any doubt of that based on the considerable evidence.

                  But what if a Lucrezia clone bamboozled the Baron into thinking she had given up on the Bill idea? After all, the Baron was hustled out of the way considerably before the wedding, even before he could verify whether Lucrezia was telling the truth or just messing with him. We also know that Klaus was a revenant for a while. Point being that he could have had to do with a Lucrezia clone while not in full possession of the facts or even of his mind.

                  Why do I think a Lucrezia clone may exist? Because we know she had a lab in the Castle where she experimented with mind transferral, and for the body she could well have had Great-Grand-Uncle Zagnut's (Zagnut's??)notes to go by:

                  Anyway, the existence of a Lucrezia clone who is by definition Lucrezia in both mind and body blows our theories about Lucrezia not being able to be the mother of Higgs by the Baron completely out of the water. Did the Castle-in-Otilia almost call Higgs Agatha's *brother?* I think someone mentioned it at the time but it didn't make sense.

                  I think Castle-in-Otilia was accessing a long-buried memory of Von Pinn's here (i.e. a memory of Lucrezia creating a protector for her son... but *which* Lucrezia and *which* son...):

                  I also think Higgs is the Baron's son because of his utter imperviousness to the battledraught at Mamma Gkika's. Dimo hints broadly that Higgs was given the same treatment as Gil here:

                  Mamma Gkika mentions that Gil is impervious to battledraught because his father "has more [jaeger] secrets than he lets on."

                  Now that doesn't mean Gil did something that his father taught him; Mamma Gkika did not say *Gil* knew the secret. It can only mean that the Baron did something that he physically passes on to his children, through genetic manipulation or physical alteration, both of which we are fairly sure he's capable of (or else topping up the baby bottles with battledraught, but that's a bit too crude).

                  These manipulations, quite outside of the battledraught that Higgs and Gil were given at Mamma Gkika's, could account not only for Higgs' unnatural strength and stamina, but also for that of Gil and Tarvek, and even (to a certain extent) Agatha. It's not clear whether Lucrezia learned the techniques from the Baron, or whether he learned them from her, but I think it is clear that Agatha and Tarvek are fairly physically matched with Gil (and probably also with Higgs). We know that Lucrezia was involved in engineering Tarvek, at least, and we can assume that she did the same for Agatha.

                  Gil attempts to send Agatha to safety in Albion. Perhaps he got the idea from Punch and Judy (hey, why is Punch talking in this installment, anyway?), who may have been aware of Higgs also being sent there to protect him:

                  I have a suspicion that we're going to find out more about Higgs when next we meet with Payne and his people... I certainly don't think we've seen the last of them, and they'll turn up when we least expect them.

                  OK, I'm tapped out. Cheers...
                • badgersdaughter
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "badgersdaughter" <badgersdaughter@...> wrote:

                    > The beacon engine must be a machine designed to recall slaver wasps after they've been loosed, or even to control them, and possibly to control revenants en masse as well.

                    OK, I missed the other two occurrences, and I recognize the use of it to transfer minds... but there has to be a reason why it's a "beacon".
                  • badgersdaughter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Aber <wtarrasque@...> wrote:

                      > > The BEACON ENGINE is here:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060707

                      > Not to railroad the subject... but is anyone else really interested in a
                      > Bacon Engine instead?
                      >
                      > I mean, talk about awesome ideas!
                      >
                      > - WT

                      Ok, you strap the test subject into a chair, attach the electrodes, give the whole thing a mighty electronic zap, and transfer the subject's mind into an awaiting sugar-cured, slightly hickory smoked, and sliced piece of fatback?

                      heh.
                    • nicky_diva
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "badgersdaughter" <badgersdaughter@...> wrote:

                        > The BEACON ENGINE is here:
                        >
                        > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060707

                        I don't think so. It doesn't look much like it, and if that's the same machine, how did it get into the castle?

                        Nicky
                      • Ian Kelly
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                          On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM, nicky_diva <krasowska@...> wrote:

                          > I don't think so. It doesn't look much like it, and if that's the same
                          > machine, how did it get into the castle?

                          Most likely Lucrezia built it 20 years ago.

                        • Jack Russell
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                            Not to railroad the subject... but is anyone else really interested in a
                            Bacon Engine instead?
                            * * * * *
                            Would you park it nect to Vole's sausage fountain?

                            <<QVRAAAAKK!!!>>
                            (Get away from the dog!)

                            Jäck Rüssell

                            A duck walks into a pharmacy, and asks for Chapstick. The cashier says, "Cash or check?" and the duck says, "Just put it on my bill."

                          • jsheikg
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                              > The BEACON ENGINE is here:
                              >
                              > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060707

                              That has been specifically named the SUMMONING ENGINE.

                              The Beacon Engine must be something else with an as-yet unrevealed function.
                            • Joseph Cotton
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                                  On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Joseph Cotton <sylvaton@...> wrote:
                                  > The only time Klaus has been a revenant to our knowledge
                                  > is, well, right now, just after Lu/Ag wasped him in Sturmhalten.

                                  And in fact, he couldn't previously have been a revenant because the
                                  standard model slaver wasp doesn't work on Sparks.
                                  <http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060728>

                                  David Goldfarb
                                • mrobinson52
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "badgersdaughter" <badgersdaughter@> wrote:

                                    <Der Schnippe>

                                    > I'm mostly a lurker but I've put together some ideas. Please forgive me if you fanboys got here before me; I don't do other forum discussions and I don't even read every word of this one. I'm just thinking wildly "out loud" and at length.
                                    >
                                    > The beacon engine must be a machine designed to recall slaver wasps after they've been loosed, or even to control them, and possibly to control revenants en masse as well.
                                    >
                                    > Dr. Beetle was Lucrezia's teacher. He had a slaver wasp engine. He was Agatha's teacher and knew about her locket. His reaction in the following panel only makes sense if he knew what it was for:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021211
                                    >
                                    > Obviously he was in on at least some part of the Inner Circle plot. Baron Wulfenbach knew all about Dr. Beetle's hidden hive engine, so he probably knew a good deal about the plot (though of course not about Agatha until later):

                                    If you get the Secret Blueprints http://comics.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=674 you will find that Dr. Beetle was one of the few people that Uncle Barry trusted with Agatha's true identity, and he was her protector. He was assuredly NOT a part of the Inner Circle Plot.

                                    <More Der Schnippage>

                                    > OK, I'm tapped out. Cheers...

                                    And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

                                    You certainly put a lot of thought into your post, and you have some interesting conjectures. If any of them turn out to be true, you have a bunch of Moxanna points coming your way. ;)

                                    Mary
                                  • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                                      *der schnippe*

                                      And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use
                                      of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the
                                      term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations.
                                      http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

                                      --------------------------------

                                      This is why one of my sig lines refers to myself as a 'fanbroad'. I am
                                      waaaaaaay too old to be a fangirl.

                                      And for you gray-topped lads? I believe the term 'fancoot' should
                                      suffice.

                                      In service to SCIENCE!
                                      Kate McClure

                                    • A. L. Servello
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                                        > And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

                                        So's geek, and "fan" is from "fanatic"-- not the nicest description--
                                        they all get used in the own-the-insult style by the folks they
                                        describe. (hehe, typed "unsult" the first time... ;^p )

                                        A good minority of the (self identified) fanboys I know are females over
                                        30.... (generally better looking than me, too, curse it, further
                                        damaging the stereotype-- and they generally use "boys" unless there are
                                        only girls in the group, then it becomes fangirls. I do tend to be
                                        around grammar geeks, though, so YMMV)

                                        I find that Urban Dictionary is rather...well, negative, generally,
                                        since it's slang wiki and a lot of slang is finding new ways to call
                                        folks names. How about fanboy.com? They give citations!

                                        I can easily see "Jaegermonster" being a sort of insult, originally--
                                        and the Jaegers going, basically, "Oooh....monsters? Hunter monsters?
                                        I LIKE it!"

                                        Ditto for "Spark" or "mad scientist."
                                      • quadibloc
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 1, 2010
                                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mrobinson52" <mrobinson52@...> wrote:

                                          > And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations.

                                          The term "fanboy" is derogatory. However, there are legitimate uses for it as well; it isn't simply an epithet of insult.

                                          Thus, I can say that "my inner fanboy" cringed when Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father in The Empire Strikes Back, because at that moment I knew it would be impossible to make the prequels to Star Wars (now known as "A New Hope") that would have been natural predecessors to that movie. (Of course, one does not have to be a fanboy to be uncomfortable with Jar-Jar Binks.)

                                          Thus, the useful meaning covers such situations as a comic book fan obsessed with backstory and continuity. Or a Tolkien fan who is dismayed that one still can't purchase an unabridged dictionary of Quenya.
                                        • badgersdaughter
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 2, 2010
                                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quadibloc" <savardj@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mrobinson52" <mrobinson52@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations.
                                            >
                                            > The term "fanboy" is derogatory. However, there are legitimate uses for it as well; it isn't simply an epithet of insult.

                                            Sorry, did not mean it in a derogatory sense but in a sense more like "passionate and dedicated experts"... as opposed to those steady lurkers like me who occasionally fly off into unsubstantiated fits of pseudoreasoning :D
                                          • badgersdaughter
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 2, 2010
                                              > > We also know that Klaus was a revenant for a while.
                                              >
                                              > I'm guessing snippet is based on the "Dragon From Mars" story -- which, I will
                                              > again remind you, is *just* a story, made up on the fly by Theo to distract and
                                              > entertain the wee ones on the castle after they got scared by Von Pinn losing
                                              > her temper with Agatha. The only time Klaus has been a revenant to our knowledge
                                              > is, well, right now, just after Lu/Ag wasped him in Sturmhalten.
                                              >
                                              > Joseph M. Cotton sylvaton@...
                                              >

                                              > Random song quote #88:
                                              > "Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere"
                                              > Correctly identify the quote and win a US 50-cent piece!
                                              > Only $4.99 shipping and handling to claim your prize.
                                              > Hail Eris!

                                              Despite all the hints here and there that the story is more true than false (sort of as though it's foreshadowing), despite the fact that Theo thinks he made it up? My feeling was always that he patched it together from half-remembered rumors and intuitions, personally.
                                            • mrobinson52
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quadibloc" <savardj@...> wrote:

                                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mrobinson52" <mrobinson52@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations.
                                                >
                                                > The term "fanboy" is derogatory. However, there are legitimate uses for it as well; it isn't simply an epithet of insult.
                                                >
                                                > Thus, I can say that "my inner fanboy" cringed when Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father in The Empire Strikes Back, because at that moment I knew it would be impossible to make the prequels to Star Wars (now known as "A New Hope") that would have been natural predecessors to that movie. (Of course, one does not have to be a fanboy to be uncomfortable with Jar-Jar Binks.)
                                                >
                                                > Thus, the useful meaning covers such situations as a comic book fan obsessed with backstory and continuity. Or a Tolkien fan who is dismayed that one still can't purchase an unabridged dictionary of Quenya.

                                                My quibble with the term is the connotation of a slavish devotion. I think of the Apple devotees who will buy anything the company turns out the moment it hits the market, in spite of past bad experiences. I am a fan of GG, but not slavishly devoted.

                                                Mary
                                              • Rebecca
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@...> wrote:
                                                  > That has been specifically named the SUMMONING ENGINE.
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060920
                                                  >
                                                  > The Beacon Engine must be something else with an as-yet unrevealed function.

                                                  Yet today Lucrezia clearly refers to that Summoning Engine as a Beacon Engine. Summoning Engine may be the particular name of THAT engine, and Beacon Engine is the name of the type of engine. That the device Zola has been stuffed into is "not as sophisticated" yet is still a Beacon engine supports this.
                                                • bjherbison
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mrobinson52" <mrobinson52@...> wrote:

                                                    > My quibble with the term is the connotation of a slavish devotion. I think of the Apple devotees who will buy anything the company turns out the moment it hits the market, in spite of past bad experiences. I am a fan of GG, but not slavishly devoted.

                                                    It sounds like you are saying that you have drunk the kool-aid, um, Jägerbräu, but you haven't inhaled the wasp.
                                                  • mrobinson52
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)" <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:

                                                      > *der schnippe*
                                                      >
                                                      > And one thing that is sort of bothering me about your post, is the use
                                                      > of the term "fanboys" in your opener. I am not a boy, for one, and the
                                                      > term fanboy is often a pejorative with some juvenile connotations.
                                                      > http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy

                                                      > This is why one of my sig lines refers to myself as a 'fanbroad'. I am
                                                      > waaaaaaay too old to be a fangirl.
                                                      >
                                                      > And for you gray-topped lads? I believe the term 'fancoot' should
                                                      > suffice.
                                                      >
                                                      > In service to SCIENCE!
                                                      > Kate McClure

                                                      Or fancodger, depending on temperament. ;))

                                                      Mary