Re: Mad Scientist's Club...

  • Brooks Rowlett
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
      I also very fondly remember the Mad Scientists Club books, though I am
      too young to remember the Boy's Life appearances.
      In terms of Mad Scientists for the above-7 crowd, I am behind on the
      digests, but has Artemis Fowl been mentioned?

      - Brooks A. Rowlett
    • gaertk
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Rowlett <brooksar@i...>
        wrote:
        > I also very fondly remember the Mad Scientists Club books, though I
        > am too young to remember the Boy's Life appearances.
        > In terms of Mad Scientists for the above-7 crowd, I am behind on the
        > digests, but has Artemis Fowl been mentioned?

        The first book was pretty good, but the second didn't seem to add
        much, and I haven't read any further. Still not a bad choice for
        that age group, and he's definitely a Spark.

        A better choice would be Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate
        Events. I've already mentioned Violet as a Spark, and Sunny probably
        is too, and the villains certainly have Sparky personalities.

        --KG
      • Mary Lowe-Hentges
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
          "Probably not the median, but perhaps the mean. Let's see. There are more than 600 members, so the two of us would have to average at least 3000 years older than the median of the rest of the group for each decade we skew the results. Several decades, huh? Let's posit the average age of the other 600 members to be 22, and take 'several decades' to mean thirty years: Daniel and I would have to have an average age of 12022. Since I'm 49, Daniel must be 23395 years old."

          22? I'll have you know I was relased the same day as Sgt. Pepper.

          Annechen Loewenstein
          non scripta non est

        • mathomasarchitect
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Mary Lowe-Hentges
            <annechen67@y...> wrote:
            > "Probably not the median, but perhaps the mean. Let's see. There
            are more than 600 members, so the two of us would have to average at
            least 3000 years older than the median of the rest of the group for
            each decade we skew the results. Several decades, huh? Let's posit
            the average age of the other 600 members to be 22, and take 'several
            decades' to mean thirty years: Daniel and I would have to have an
            average age of 12022. Since I'm 49, Daniel must be 23395 years old."

            > 22? I'll have you know I was relased the same day as Sgt. Pepper.
            >

            > Annechen Loewenstein
            > non scripta non est

            So you're above average....what's your point?
          • Mary Lowe-Hentges
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2004
              "So you're above average....what's your point?"

              Hm. I suppose the view was that the median was not as posited earlier. Perhaps I was merely surprised by the assumption that half the posters were designated drivers, not barflies. My apologies for assuming.

              And I didn't grow up in Lake Wobegon.

              Annechen Loewenstein
              non scripta non est

            • Elizabeth McCoy
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
                If I remember the blog correctly and all. O:>
                --
                --Beth, arcangel@... http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
              • studiofoglio
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 5, 2004
                  Thank you. It was very nice. My Mom brought us Oreos, Legos
                  and flower bulbs.

                  --Kaja

                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth McCoy