Re: Advanced materials on Spark Earth

  • brooksindy
    Message 1 of 774 , Jan 29, 2002
      >In issue 4 the kitchen has what looks like
      >flagstone flooring, and massive stone block >walls.
      Either ... or the Baron really likes the >look of
      massive stone d�cor. So I think that the >Castle is
      light and strong. And made to look >Heavy and
      Massive.<br><br>Well, even in Our Earth we have styrofoam bricks, and
      linoleum that can look like flagstones. I think the
      internal resemblance of a castle is there for
      psychological reasons...he really does just like it.....but it
      could well have acid resistant properties,
      etc.<br><br>On the Clanks, though, I keep waiting to see if
      somewhere tucked into a corner will be the Royal Army of
      Oz....
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.