Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Todays Comic

  • Joshua Kronengold
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
      El Lobo writes:
      >I'm curious of what Der Kestel means by "When the First Heterodyne
      >came to this place..." What made that person a Heterodyne? Just really
      >sparky? Why aren't his parents considered Heterodynes? Is it not just
      >familial relation? Is there something more?

      I'm guessing that the name Heterodyne was taken after the name of the
      source of the family's power. Thus, prior to the discovery of the
      Dyne and gaining power thereof, there were no Heterodynes.

      --
      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
      --^-- "Did you know, if you increment enough, you /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
        On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:
        > I'm guessing that the name Heterodyne was taken after the name of the
        > source of the family's power. Thus, prior to the discovery of the
        > Dyne and gaining power thereof, there were no Heterodynes.

        Don't the Secret Blueprints have the plains-nomad ancestors of the
        family named something like "H'Trok'Din"?

        --
        David Goldfarb |From the fortune cookie file:
        goldfarb@... |
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@...> wrote:
          > > I'm guessing that the name Heterodyne was taken after the name of the
          > > source of the family's power. Thus, prior to the discovery of the
          > > Dyne and gaining power thereof, there were no Heterodynes.
          >
          > Don't the Secret Blueprints have the plains-nomad ancestors of the
          > family named something like "H'Trok'Din"?

          Yes, the SB do have that, but unfortunately the SB are considered only semi-canonical at this point (that is, stuff in there is true until the Foglios decide it's not anymore) so I wouldn't be surprised if they changed this.

          On the other hand, maybe it was still H'trok-Din and the name of the spring was just a happy accident?

          -- Jen
        • stereo_bis
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "sugeatarc" <sugeatarc@...> wrote:

            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Joshua Kronengold <mneme@> wrote:
            > > > I'm guessing that the name Heterodyne was taken after the name of the
            > > > source of the family's power. Thus, prior to the discovery of the
            > > > Dyne and gaining power thereof, there were no Heterodynes.
            > >
            > > Don't the Secret Blueprints have the plains-nomad ancestors of the
            > > family named something like "H'Trok'Din"?
            > >
            > Yes, the SB do have that, but unfortunately the SB are considered only semi-canonical at
            > this point (that is, stuff in there is true until the Foglios decide it's not anymore) so I
            > wouldn't be surprised if they changed this.
            >
            > On the other hand, maybe it was still H'trok-Din and the name of the spring was just a
            > happy accident?

            I'd say it's canon by now: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070416

            But for all we know, it may mean: "Consort of the goddess of the Din" or Din might be the name of the Goddess and thus was given to the source, thus "Consort of Din".

            I vote for the second: Stereo
          • persephone_kore
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "sugeatarc" <sugeatarc@...> wrote:

              > Yes, the SB do have that, but unfortunately the SB are considered
              > only semi-canonical at this point (that is, stuff in there is true
              > until the Foglios decide it's not anymore) so I wouldn't be surprised
              > if they changed this.

              I keep wondering who decided this. :) I see it all the time, but once I finally found the comment from the Foglios on the subject (by dint of asking Corgi), it looked like they were saying that the story had moved on and some things were no longer "true" the way a summary of the conditions at the end of Volume 1 would no longer be "true," not that everything in it was more subject to contradiction than stuff in the comic.

              > On the other hand, maybe it was still H'trok-Din and the name of the spring was just a happy accident?

              Regardless of the Blueprints, there certainly appears to be a historical awareness of that version of the name, unless Wooster is making it up for some reason: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070416

              Personally, I suspect that the names of the family and of the spring may have gone through some evolution/translation together. I could totally see the original spring being called something about "power."

              PK
            • bjherbison
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "stereo_bis" <stereo_bis@...> wrote:
                > I'd say it's canon by now: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070416
                >
                > But for all we know, it may mean: "Consort of the goddess of the Din" or Din might be the name of the Goddess and thus was given to the source, thus "Consort of Din".

                From http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070416 we know Knife, the son of H'trok-Din, built the first Castle Heterodyne.

                From http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20091102 we know the drinker of the water built his fortress on the site.

                Putting those two together, I conclude Knife is shown drinking the water in 1042 (or a few years before, depending whether the date is the start or finish of the first Castle Heterodyne).

                This means "H'trok-Din" has no relation to Dyne (or the title "H'trok-Din" was given to that individual later, or H'trok-Din already knew about the spring and told Knife about it).
              • paige_the_mad_metallurgist
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                  > > Yes, the SB do have that, but unfortunately the SB are considered
                  > > only semi-canonical at this point (that is, stuff in there is true
                  > > until the Foglios decide it's not anymore) so I wouldn't be surprised
                  > > if they changed this.
                  > >
                  > I keep wondering who decided this. :) I see it all the time, but once I finally found the comment from the Foglios on the subject (by dint of asking Corgi), it looked like they were saying that the story had moved on and some things were no longer "true" the way a summary of the conditions at the end of Volume 1 would no longer be "true," not that everything in it was more subject to contradiction than stuff in the comic.
                  >
                  > > On the other hand, maybe it was still H'trok-Din and the name of the spring was just a happy accident?
                  > >
                  > Regardless of the Blueprints, there certainly appears to be a historical awareness of that version of the name, unless Wooster is making it up for some reason: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070416
                  >
                  > Personally, I suspect that the names of the family and of the spring may have gone through some evolution/translation together. I could totally see the original spring being called something about "power."
                  >
                  > PK

                  Some things about the Secret Blueprints have morphed over time, such as Gil not being as evil as originally envisioned. However, this one remains true. The name of the ancestor in the SB's was Ghengis Ht'rok-din, thus the mongol references and the raider-like tendencies.

                  Since there is no reference (as of yet) of the battle goddess's name or the name of the spring, and it wasn't even a river initially, I would guess that the river was named for the Heterodynes rather than the reverse. Even so, they are both a force to be reckoned with! ;)-
                • persephone_kore
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "paige_the_mad_metallurgist" <paigely@...> wrote:

                    > Some things about the Secret Blueprints have morphed over time, such
                    > as Gil not being as evil as originally envisioned.

                    "Gil is not a bad person by nature, but he is beginning to think that becoming one might prove extremely useful. Or at least provide a change." --SB

                    While we know the story is still developing as they write it, I rather suspect the part about "Gil was going to be more evil" had changed or was in the process of changing already by then. His description in the Secret Blueprints sheds some light on his variable moods in the early chapters, but it's no more incompatible with the comic than those chapters are with the current ones.

                    PK
                  • brendawriter
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "persephone_kore" <persephone_kore@...> wrote:

                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "paige_the_mad_metallurgist" <paigely@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Some things about the Secret Blueprints have morphed over time, such
                      > > as Gil not being as evil as originally envisioned.
                      >
                      > "Gil is not a bad person by nature, but he is beginning to think that becoming one might prove extremely useful. Or at least provide a change." --SB
                      >
                      > While we know the story is still developing as they write it, I rather suspect the part about "Gil was going to be more evil" had changed or was in the process of changing already by then. His description in the Secret Blueprints sheds some light on his variable moods in the early chapters, but it's no more incompatible with the comic than those chapters are with the current ones.
                      >
                      > PK

                      And Gil has not had the motivation to really get evil yet. Wait until Tarvek kisses Agatha.

                      Brenda
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "stereo_bis" <stereo_bis@...> wrote:

                        > I'd say it's canon by now: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070416
                        >
                        > But for all we know, it may mean: "Consort of the goddess of the Din" or Din might be the name of the Goddess and thus was given to the source, thus "Consort of Din".
                        >

                        > I vote for the second: Stereo

                        The second to last panel says "That was when the river Dyne came to be." So it's certain that the Heterodynes were there before it was a river. Now the spring doubtless had a name for itself, but it's entirely possible that the Heterodynes named the river after themselves upon its creation. I suppose it's vanity, but if I was able to create a river where there wasn't one before, I'd probably name it after myself too. (Oddly enough there really are rivers with my name out there.)

                        -Steven Rewa
                      • paige_the_mad_metallurgist
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2009
                          > > Some things about the Secret Blueprints have morphed over time, such
                          > > as Gil not being as evil as originally envisioned.
                          >
                          > "Gil is not a bad person by nature, but he is beginning to think that becoming one might prove extremely useful. Or at least provide a change." --SB
                          >
                          > While we know the story is still developing as they write it, I rather suspect the part about "Gil was going to be more evil" had changed or was in the process of changing already by then. His description in the Secret Blueprints sheds some light on his variable moods in the early chapters, but it's no more incompatible with the comic than those chapters are with the current ones.

                          I can't remember where I read it, or which of the Foglios said it, but my statement at the top is a rough quote from them, given some time after the first year or two of GG.