Re: [Girl Genius] Friday spoilers - The location of mechanicsburg

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
      <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:

      > My wild Friday guess is . . . it's just a river.
      >
      > That's just the kind of red herring the Professors are known for!

      But in the very latest update, Der Kestle says "The Dyne is more than
      just water."

      --
      David Goldfarb | BANG! BANG! BANG! "Fire the tachyon guns!"
      goldfarb@... |
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2009
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
        > <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > My wild Friday guess is . . . it's just a river.
        > >
        > > That's just the kind of red herring the Professors are known for!
        >
        > But in the very latest update, Der Kestle says "The Dyne is more than
        > just water."

        Ah, but the castle could be referring to its many uses, rather than to any unusual properties it has.

        As a side note, I am amused to see that Agatha's ray punched through even below the cave they have just reached (glowing orange ring at the bottom of the first half of the page). When she builds a death ray, she knows how to build one that packs a whallop!

        As a second side note, I wonder just how far down did VonPinn fall?
      • kventinio
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...> wrote:
          > There is also the Danube, also on occasion referred to as the 'Donau',
          > easily blurred into Mekkleburkisher "Dyne"
          >
          > Lt. Cdr Thomas, Jaeger Cartographic and Field Archaeology Division

          no need to blur, really, as Danube is known along its path as any of these:

          Donau, Dunaj, Duna, Donava, Dunav, Dunarea &c.

          where -va is basically suffix meaning ``river'' (as in Morava, Sava, Drava, Orava, Opava, Nitra(va), Trnava &c. there's even tributary of Danube called Vah)

          but.

          having said that, there are other big important rivers east of Carpathians:

          Don, Donets, Dnieper, Dniester... &c.

          (not to speak of Dunajec)

          c.f. discussion of the name ``Don'' in wikipedia:

          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_River_%28Russia%29#History>

          i'd say ``Dyne'' sounds right for the (implied) location. it could mean any of the big(gish) rivers or some small(ish) one or even none, beeing completely fictional. if that is the case (and i plan to never find out for certain), hats off to Mr and Mrs Foglio for consistency.

          /disengage temporary mode override
          [>>>Operator request accomplished:::Lurk mode rest]
          [ored:::Status off:::Operator disconnected:::End o]
          [f dialogue log:::Transmission finish:::NO CARRIER]
        • quadibloc
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kventinio" <brano.tichy@...> wrote:
            > no need to blur, really, as Danube is known along its path as any of these:
            >
            > Donau, Dunaj, Duna, Donava, Dunav, Dunarea &c.

            > having said that, there are other big important rivers east of Carpathians:
            >
            > Don, Donets, Dnieper, Dniester... &c.

            The Don runs down to the Volga, which then runs to the Sea of Azov, and it appears to be entirely too far East to be consistent with Mechanicsburg's location. So, apparently, the Jagers are not the Dyne Cossacks.
          • Joseph H
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Erickson <zebarsuk@...> wrote:

              > There is also the Danube, also on occasion referred to as the 'Donau',
              > easily blurred into Mekkleburkisher "Dyne"
              >
              > Lt. Cdr Thomas, Jaeger Cartographic and Field Archaeology Division

              It appears (after today's comic) that the Dyne isn't a real river, after all.

              Methinks I have an inkling as to what our Jaegerkin meant by "one of the FUN Heterodynes" (i.e., one of the ones before the damming/irrigating of the Dyne)
            • Joseph H
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "lake_wrangler" <lake.wrangler@...> wrote:

                <snip>

                > As a side note, I am amused to see that Agatha's ray punched through even below the cave they have just reached (glowing orange ring at the bottom of the first half of the page). When she builds a death ray, she knows how to build one that packs a whallop!
                >
                > As a second side note, I wonder just how far down did VonPinn fall?

                ...China?
              • kventinio
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "quadibloc" <savardj@...> wrote:

                  > The Don runs down to the Volga, which then runs to the Sea of Azov, and it appears to be entirely too far East to be consistent with Mechanicsburg's location.

                  yes, well, that's true for all those rivers. i listed them for the general feel of local fluvial nomenclature.

                  > So, apparently, the Jagers are not the Dyne Cossacks.

                  as for the Cossacks not being Jaegers -- sure, but where do you think they got the idea? (i imagine they started by imitation -- big ruthless guys, big hats, big teeth... and it caught on)

                  all the same, thanks for the connection, i entirely missed it. pure genius.

                  [>>>Operator disconnected:::System forced reconnec]
                  [t follows:::System override accomplished:::Routin]
                  [e 3ERP27DX243 engaged:::Operator disconnected aft]
                  [er being reprimanded for communicating while in l]
                  [urk mode; handwritten material accepted:::100 cop]
                  [ies:::End of dialogue log:::Transmission finish::]
                  [:NO CARRIER~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]
                • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
                    On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:43:56PM -0000, quadibloc wrote:
                    > So, apparently, the Jagers are not the Dyne Cossacks.

                    No, they're the undyin' Cossacks.

                    (Friend had a T-shirt with cute fuzzballs labeled "centimi"
                    jumping on a dragon-like creature which would normally have
                    eaten them, but now was dying. So it was a dyin' centimi
                    eater, and each time a centimi jumped on it, it said "erg".)

                    With respect to the location of Mechanicsburg, it's known to
                    lie on the Danube, since that's how Pix directed Agatha to
                    it when Agatha first met the Circus.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarbdj@...> wrote:

                      > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                      > <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > My wild Friday guess is . . . it's just a river.
                      > >
                      > > That's just the kind of red herring the Professors are known for!
                      >
                      > But in the very latest update, Der Kestle says "The Dyne is more than
                      > just water."

                      That's right. It's *moving* water!

                      -Stev
                    • brellchild
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2009

                        > > As a second side note, I wonder just how far down did VonPinn fall?
                        >
                        > ...China?

                        I fully expect her to be somewhere in this large room.
                        If VP threw Agatha *that* way, then VP would tend to move
                        *this* way.

                        Sooner or later she is going to brush against a side wall,
                        which she could easily use via pushing off with her legs,
                        to impact the opposite side hard enough to grab hold. She
                        might have to ricochet a couple times before she gets a
                        good handhold but she certainly could have bounced herself
                        sideways hard enough to land next to the hole either on
                        this level or another.